Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kiwiturk

Set pieces

4 minutes ago, kiwiturk said:

Apologizes mate. Deleting it immediately.

Sorry mate . It seems that I can't do anything about it but more we talk about it the more diverse thoughts may appear. Who knows?

This is a fans forum afterall.

Edited by kiwiturk
  • Like 2

Wilf is the difference between us being not very good at set pieces, and being pretty awful, imo.

As Leeds are very mobile we might get away with it this time (as we did at Everton, just). Ultimately, we are a running side, and big sides will struggle to cope with our movement, but we are living on the edge with such an obvious weakness.

Thank god every side doesn't have a traditional big man to play up front any more.

I actually take comfort in our appalling record of set pieces both offensively and defensively. If we start performing just averagely in the second half of the season we'll score more goals and concede less. It should be one of the easier problems to solve.

I think it's probably bad variance rather than a lack of tactics or ability. We have a good set piece and corner taker in Maddison and we have some height and aerial strength in the team also. I don't think it's an area we should excel or neither suffer in. A bit of mean reversion could have us flying in the second half of the season.

• Like 4

It’s simply a numbers game we only have 3 players who are any good at winning headers, 2 CB’s and Wilf so only 2 currently. Only Fofana is dominant in the air, Evans and Soyuncu are great defenders but rarely win headers from attacking corners.

All of our others players (except maybe Vardy who is decent considering his height) never threaten from set pieces. Go short every time for me.

Edited by jmono84

I think at this point its actually rather pointless having more than 2 of our players in the opposition box at corners unless we are going short. We'd be better served having most of the players just outside ready to pounce on the inevitable clearance.

I am not a Madders hater. But, we do need to try someone else. Everytime, he ambles towards the corner flag. It's time to grab a Kit Kat. As nothing is going to happen anyway. 

It's statistically obvious that corners are not working. Why not just try another variable. Keep him just outside the box maybe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmono84 said:

It’s simply a numbers game we only have 3 players who are any good at winning headers, 2 CB’s and Wilf so only 2 currently. Only Fofana is dominant in the air, Evans and Soyuncu are great defenders but rarely win headers from attacking corners.

All of our others players (except maybe Vardy who is decent considering his height) never threaten from set pieces. Go short every time for me.

It doesn’t matter about our team not having good headers of the ball if we never beat the first man! 

7 hours ago, Gerard said:

actually take comfort in our appalling record of set pieces both offensively and defensively. If we start performing just averagely in the second half of the season we'll score more goals and concede less. It should be one of the easier problems to solve.

That's a really good way of looking at it. 

• Like 1

Enough’s enough.

PLEASE take Maddison off our set pieces.

Not only are we incapable of defending the opposition’s or scoring from our own, the delivery is now so poor that it’s facilitating counter-attacking opportunities for the opposition. 

He takes every single one. Back in the title winning season we had Mahrez, Fuchs and Albrighton alternating. None of them were brilliant at them but it kept the opposition guessing. Chilwell for all his faults was at least a different option last season.

There won’t be many sides in the top flight who have 95%+ of their set pieces being taken by the same person. It doesn’t work even if the delivery is consistently good because it’s predictable but Maddison puts in one good ball in 10. This is such a basic thing to put right.

Think we potentially have 3 players who would be better at set pieces in Under, Albrighton & Tielemans.

Although he’s not going to start anytime soon, I think Luke Thomas could be developed into a good set piece taker too. We know he’s got a great delivery.