Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Lewis Neilson - 17y/o Centre Back

53 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Love owt like this. :cool:

And surprisingly I have heard of him, he was linked with us and few elite clubs last summer. You don't go too far wrong signing players of this profile. Even with Gray we'll get the majority of our money back. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Mark said:

Loan him back to Dundee, he'd be better off played a full season or two mens football up there than stuck in the u23s.

Maybe if he were a few years older but 17 is proper young. I think you want him at Seagrave with Rodgers and Toure drilling him up to the standard we've seen Soyuncu and Fofana reach.

19 hours ago, LCCFox96 said:

More than happy to take a punt on a 17 year old CB who has already broken into first team in a top flight division. We should be all over youth prospects like these with facilities now available at Seagrave. 

...... Scotland 

20 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

My grandad was from Dundee and supported United. He'd tell me stories of watching them play with his pals and if the match ended earlier, they'd scurry across the road to watch the last few minutes of Dundee FC play to cheer on the opposition - his stepdad worked on the turnstiles and would let them through (this was the 1930s when such skullduggery was easier). One thing I inherited when he died about 20 years ago was a huge, ridiculous Dundee United umbrella shaped like a baseball cap. IF we sign this kid and he becomes a superstar I promise to bring that umbrella to every single match. For that senti(mental) reason I'm in.

Not United, but on the back of that story, you might be interested in the book, In Search of Alan Gilzean, who of course played for Dundee before joining Spurs.  Excellent read. Lots of great tales of Dundee and Scottish football in the late 50s/early 60s and an interesting take and account of a hugely talented footballer. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Gerard said:

Love owt like this. :cool:

And surprisingly I have heard of him, he was linked with us and few elite clubs last summer. You don't go too far wrong signing players of this profile. Even with Gray we'll get the majority of our money back. 

Gray has cost us a fortune in relation to what he’s offered to be fair.

I know that’s the way of the football world. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Fox said:

Gray has cost us a fortune in relation to what he’s offered to be fair.

I know that’s the way of the football world. 

Not really. He may not have hit the heights we all wanted him to, but he sure as hell contributed during our title win, CL run and various other points. Not to mention some of the most emotional goals in the clubs history. 

3 hours ago, Sly said:

...... Scotland 

By the co-efficients Scotland is the 11th strongest league in Europe ahead of countries like Turkey and you wouldn't see anyone moaning if we signed a 17yo Turk who is playing top flight football. Lots of very good footballers have come out of Scotland over the years. It's just a tired cliche that Scotland is a vastly inferior league. It has two huge football clubs and a population of 5 million, you're always going to get some small clubs in the SPL to make up the numbers but that's the same in most leagues.

England is different because any club who manages to get promoted to the EPL is now automatically a pretty big club because of the new found finances.

• Like 3

Just now, moore_94 said:

With the other rumours about signings this was the one I was probably actually looking forward to, enjoy seeing us sign youngsters with good potential

Bet this one doesn't even happen

Every window we are linked to signing a promising youngster and it doesn't happen. Wahid Faghir was the link for the previous 2 deadline days.

On 31/01/2021 at 12:27, urban.spaceman said:

My grandad was from Dundee and supported United. He'd tell me stories of watching them play with his pals and if the match ended earlier, they'd scurry across the road to watch the last few minutes of Dundee FC play to cheer on the opposition - his stepdad worked on the turnstiles and would let them through (this was the 1930s when such skullduggery was easier). One thing I inherited when he died about 20 years ago was a huge, ridiculous Dundee United umbrella shaped like a baseball cap. IF we sign this kid and he becomes a superstar I promise to bring that umbrella to every single match. For that senti(mental) reason I'm in.

Love back-stories like these. Thanks for sharing. But how does a match end earlier? Do they get to about 70 minutes and then just can’t be arsed any more? 

13 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Love back-stories like these. Thanks for sharing. But how does a match end earlier? Do they get to about 70 minutes and then just can’t be arsed any more? 

In fairness he's been dead for 20 years and he told me this about 25 years ago! I think their matches were staggered because the Dundee clubs are still both on literally the same road.

• Like 2