Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester City failed in late-window move to sign Chelsea midfielder

https://www.footballinsider247.com/chelsea-knocked-back-late-leicester-city-move-for-gilmour/

Sources: Leicester City failed in late-window move to sign Chelsea midfielder
By Wayne Veysey -4th February 2021 at 11:00am1

Chelsea knocked back a late-window approach from Leicester City for midfield sensation Billy Gilmour, Football Insider can reveal.

Brendan Rodgers’ side were keen to take Gilmour, 19, on loan from the Blues for the second half of the campaign.

But Chelsea rejected Leicester’s move because, a club source told Football Insider, they did not want to let a senior player join a rival chasing a top-four Premier league finish.

The Scottish midfielder and Rangers academy product had been linked with a loan move to get regular game time after slipping down the pecking order at Stamford Bridge.

He was not playing regularly before Frank Lampard’s dismissal last week and new boss Thomas Tuchel has left Gilmour out of the Chelsea squad for his first two games in charge against Wolves and Burnley.

The central midfielder is keen to cement his place in the Scotland squad for the Euros this summer.

But he will have to now do so at his parent club as he looks to win over Tuchel in the coming months.

Gilmour made a huge impression for Chelsea last Spring before the first lockdown but his progress has subsequently stalled, partly due to a knee injury.

He has nonetheless made 17 senior appearances for the Blues, six of which have come this season.

Rangers were unable to stop Gilmour quitting in the summer of 2016 to head south of the border.

The Ibrox club eventually accepted a £500,000 compensation fee for Gilmour as he ran down his deal.

• Like 1

Would've been happy with Maitland-Niles as we quite likely would've been able to get an option/obligation to buy in the loan deal if they were willing to talk

Glad we didn't get Gilmour because no chance would they have agreed to something like that with how highly rated he is at Chelsea, would've just been helping to develop him for Chelsea

35 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think it was a little naive of the club to think that Chelsea or Arsenal would want to loan us a player at this point of the season.

Don't ask don't get. We would have been throwing out enquiries left right and centre. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I think it was a little naive of the club to think that Chelsea or Arsenal would want to loan us a player at this point of the season.

Unbelievably naive.

I wonder if Rodgers thinks he has some favours he can call in from his time there, if so, that's even more naive. 

I don't really see how this would've ever happened. We're too big a positional rival to Chelsea and I do think for all his talent, he isn't going to waltz straight into our side in half a season either. Would've been better moves for him. Not that I'd have been against it actually happening as such.

5 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Absolutely. We should have been knocking of the doors of European elites for players like this (trust me there are many talented youth options in these squads) Asking rivals is a bit desperate.

You can’t even say these guys have prem experience because they don’t really 

Edited by Lambert09

Wouldn't say it was naive, we seemingly looked for players in Europe (Eriksen, Odegaard, Kukcu, Otavio) and like a lot of other clubs the later in the window it got we had to then focus on the domestic market

So our best bet was always going to try and go for someone at one of the bigger clubs who isn't getting much game time

Must be quite sh!t for the player involved. "We are not going to play you despite you earning your chance but we are not going to loan you to anyone decent either". 

Ofcourse it makes sense from Chelsea's perspective but it must be a kick in the stovies for the lad. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Wouldn't say it was naive, we seemingly looked for players in Europe (Eriksen, Odegaard, Kukcu, Otavio) and like a lot of other clubs the later in the window it got we had to then focus on the domestic market

So our best bet was always going to try and go for someone at one of the bigger clubs who isn't getting much game time

...Eriksen and Odegaard were at the top level and was ambitious to think we could land them!!!

What the previous poster was alluding to was why did we not look to target young fringe players from the Continent as we went from Eriksen to Chalobah. 

12 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Eriksen and Odegaard were at the top level and was ambitious to think we could land them!!!

What the previous poster was alluding to was why did we not look to target young fringe players from the Continent as we went from Eriksen to Chalobah. 

Wouldn’t Brexit make it harder to get young fringe players from the continent now? I assume... 

This just feels like a bit of shithousery from us to be honest. It’s like we’re flexing our muscles to show these clubs who’s the powerful one now. Arsenal tried and failed to get Vardy and Mahrez while Chelsea have paid us £120m for our footballing talent and we’re still better off than them. Trying to get Maitland-Niles and Gilmour from them is smart business. 

• Like 1

Chelsea?  Hmm.  Can be a graveyard for players with their stockpiling.

Drinkwater ( other beverages are available)

Berkley and Loftus-Cheek - England internationals surplus to requirements.

Chilwell- expensive England international sitting o  a bench

Their longest serving player recently left having barely played for them havi g pottered around Europe on loan.

They misjudged players

De Bruyne

Salah

Lukaku

Ake

Magic and Mata maybe

How many youngsters have they restricted over the years.  More money than sense some clubs!

Free Gilmour!