Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Transfer targets ongoing

Message added by Mark,

4 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

You will always be a mystery to me.

Mahrez took a while to convince you, yet last season you  were calling for George hirst to be in the first team based on under 23 games lol

I am indeed a very mysterious person and very rarely understand myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

Barnes, in my eyes, can absolutely convert to central striker type role and do the things Tammy does. Plus, he's home grown. 

And Brendan has said, repeatedly, that he sees Barnes as best suited to a wide striker role, not a central striker.

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

And Brendan has said, repeatedly, that he sees Barnes as best suited to a wide striker role, not a central striker.

I can see Barnes taking over the 10 role of Maddison were to leave. I think he’d be good there. Passing is underrated and has ability to shoot from edge of box or run in.

13 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

In all seriousness I don’t think that Ward-prowse is much better on set pieces than either Maddison or albrighton. 

The issue is we have a problem that is a combination of not setting up  tactically very well and simply not having the right players to attack (or defend them). 

I think the lack of goals from them just sabotaged Maddison’s confidence for taking them. 

It doesn’t take a genius to work out you’d get better results aiming the ball at vestergaard and bednarek over Jonny and soyuncu (and fofana doesn’t seem to be much better)  And we’re a small side in general. 

I’m not sure I agree. According to Opta he’s statistically the best free kick taker in the league since he came into the scene. I’m not necessarily saying we should sign him but I think, purely on set pieces, he’s the best there is. The stats back that up. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I’ve seen nothing yet to show me that he has a clue how to play centrally up top ....... 

It's stems from the obsession that anyone who excels in their position needs to be moved further up field. Ricardo to RW, Barnes CF, etc.

8 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Ricardoitis here with Barnes, when everyone was demanding one of the best right back's in the world at the time should have been played as a winger.

Barnes is developing nicely as a winger/inside left just leave him be and let him develop in his natural position. Shoe horning him into another position(s) to try and cover a gap in the squad could sabotage his development.

It's a completely different ask playing as a striker to a winger in terms of how you receive the ball. Nine times out of 10 you receive the ball with your back to goal or on the half-turn at best. In Barnes position the majority of the time he'll receive the ball on the run and facing goal.

Ooh, I just mentioned that then read your post. 

Great minds and all that. :D

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Ricardoitis here with Barnes, when everyone was demanding one of the best right back's in the world at the time should have been played as a winger.

Barnes is developing nicely as a winger/inside left just leave him be and let him develop in his natural position. Shoe horning him into another position(s) to try and cover a gap in the squad could sabotage his development.

It's a completely different ask playing as a striker to a winger in terms of how you receive the ball. Nine times out of 10 you receive the ball with your back to goal or on the half-turn at best. In Barnes position the majority of the time he'll receive the ball on the run and facing goal.

Barnes playing up top in a 2 in this system I could understand but I now view " playing through the middle " as the number 9 up front and that is a role I don't think he'll ever play and takes away everything he's dynamite at.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gerard said:

It's stems from the obsession that anyone who excels in their position needs to be moved further up field. Ricardo to RW, Barnes CF, etc.

Get kasper up top. That header against yeovil was class

4 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Like I've said to a few others look at the Iheanacho thread lol

Large slice of humble pie has been been eaten and enjoyed :)

If we did go for Edouard, do you think we could give enough game time to all 3 players? Would Edouard be able to play alongside Iheanacho like Vardy does? 

2 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

If we did go for Edouard, do you think we could give enough game time to all 3 players? Would Edouard be able to play alongside Iheanacho like Vardy does? 

Yeah Edouard could play in a two, he did it pretty well with Griffiths last season in the second part of the season and that was probably his best spell in a Celtic jersey. He's also comfortable playing up top on his own though.

Looking at it personally for Edouard, given Iheanacho's rejuvenation I think he'd only get enough minutes if we continue to play with two up top or at least one up with one off. I'm not sure if that'll be the case as when Barnes is back and fit you'd imagine he comes back in and the shape changes.

If it were a case of 1 natural striker starts most weeks and Edouard was striker number 3, which he would be given what Iheanacho is doing he might be better served going elsewhere as much as it pains me to say it.

7 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah Edouard could play in a two, he did it pretty well with Griffiths last season in the second part of the season and that was probably his best spell in a Celtic jersey. He's also comfortable playing up top on his own though.

Looking at it personally for Edouard, given Iheanacho's rejuvenation I think he'd only get enough minutes if we continue to play with two up top or at least one up with one off. I'm not sure if that'll be the case as when Barnes is back and fit you'd imagine he comes back in and the shape changes.

If it were a case of 1 natural striker starts most weeks and Edouard was striker number 3, which he would be given what Iheanacho is doing he might be better served going elsewhere as much as it pains me to say it.

Its a tough one as I'm not sure Iheanacho can play up front on his own as he always seems isolated and a bit lost so for us to get the best of him it means playing Vardy/another striker with him but then where does that leave Barnes in the team? Maybe now Iheanachos confidence has improved he could play up on his own but he'd need lots of support and creativity from the likes of Maddison, Barnes and Perez. Vardys movement helps Iheanacho so much and he keeps defenders occupied so hopefully Barnes could do something similar from the wing if Vardy wasn't playing. Does make it tough signing a new striker now but I guess it all depends on how much Vardy will be used next season but I can't see him being pushed aside any time soon. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

“We”. Love that 👍👍👍. #converted 

• Haha 1

I think we have pretty much decided that Perez is now a Maddison stand-in so we have three strikers. Vardy and Iheanacho central and Barnes wide. Edouard seems to be a left channel striker and with his physical size would give us a well balanced strike force. Time on the pitch can be adjusted to suit current form , defensive strengths of the opposition or injury. He seems to me the ideal man and would give Rodgers a potent and effective strike force. To me it is important to keep your strikers fresh and hungry.

7 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I think we have pretty much decided that Perez is now a Maddison stand-in so we have three strikers. Vardy and Iheanacho central and Barnes wide. Edouard seems to be a left channel striker and with his physical size would give us a well balanced strike force. Time on the pitch can be adjusted to suit current form , defensive strengths of the opposition or injury. He seems to me the ideal man and would give Rodgers a potent and effective strike force. To me it is important to keep your strikers fresh and hungry.

Yeah, Perez is not even close to being good enough. 

7 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I’m not sure I agree. According to Opta he’s statistically the best free kick taker in the league since he came into the scene. I’m not necessarily saying we should sign him but I think, purely on set pieces, he’s the best there is. The stats back that up. 

Fair enough, he certainly looks fantastic at them from what I’ve seen. But if the numbers are based on assists in any way he definitely is aiming at better than us

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sheffield_fox said:

I agree that Barnes should eventually be given a chance to play as CF.

I think Abraham is a better transfer prospect though, on the basis that Barnes already plays for us.

What???