Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
majaco

Transfer targets ongoing

Message added by Mark,

1 hour ago, lcfc sheff said:

Haven’t seen anyone mention this?

Where would that leave big Dan?  I think he has shown that he s capable of being fourth choice CB.  Justin can also play there in a three and Wilf if necessary.  That's six options.

I think we're OK defensively, I would rather prioritise RW, striker and midfield.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Always. In the prem you can never stand still you need to improve every single window if possible, otherwise you get left behind. Even the top top top sides have to improve their starting XI when possible or they get displaced. I think you’re missing my point, I’m not saying good players can’t be signed from relegated or championship clubs, just that the names on this thread would be a waste of money - of which we won’t be splashing about in abundance. 

Even Toney, doing very well in the championship but he’s still yet to play in the premier league although that is likely to change soon. Would I be happy to go spend 30m+ on him? Absolutely not. Iheanacho would bag for fun in that division. 

Is this true? I think we could be getting to a point where it becomes very difficult, if not impossible, to improve the starting XI immediately with signings.

Who can we sign who is an upgrade on Ndidi? Or Ricardo? Vardy? Tielemans? Soyuncu? etc. For a lot of positions, there's only a handful of players, if that, out there who are currently better, and they're all going to be way beyond our budget.

I think we'll be mainly be adding to the squad at this point, rather than buying players who go straight into the first XI.

If it was me this summer, this is how I would be thinking....

Tarkowski. Although we have decent cover at CB, only 3 players at the club are comfortable in a 4 so I would like to see someone else come in and I think he would be perfect. 

McGregor. On paper, Mendy covering Ndidi, KDH covering Youri and Praet standing in for Mads is decent but a guy like Calmac who can play all those positions would strengthen us tenfold. 

David Brooks. W need that allusion RWer and I think he is our guy. 

Marcus Paoulo or Olise. We need another winger IMO as we don't have a Barnes understudy and both these guys are young and promising. 

Eduoard. He is our man. We can all dream of Tony and Ings but price wise, he is the only real option here I think. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

If it was me this summer, this is how I would be thinking....

Tarkowski. Although we have decent cover at CB, only 3 players at the club are comfortable in a 4 so I would like to see someone else come in and I think he would be perfect. 

McGregor. On paper, Mendy covering Ndidi, KDH covering Youri and Praet standing in for Mads is decent but a guy like Calmac who can play all those positions would strengthen us tenfold. 

David Brooks. W need that allusion RWer and I think he is our guy. 

Marcus Paoulo or Olise. We need another winger IMO as we don't have a Barnes understudy and both these guys are young and promising. 

Eduoard. He is our man. We can all dream of Tony and Ings but price wise, he is the only real option here I think. 

We do need 2 wingers or 1 and an ACM that's versatile and that player is likely to be Kamal Sowah. 

Marcos Paulo would be a huge coup on a free and although he plays LW, he is more of a striker than Barnes so would get plenty of game time competing for a position up front or out wide. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, murphy said:

Where would that leave big Dan?  I think he has shown that he s capable of being fourth choice CB.  Justin can also play there in a three and Wilf if necessary.  That's six options.

I think we're OK defensively, I would rather prioritise RW, striker and midfield.  

I wouldn't worry, can't see us spend that sort of money on Tah when we can probably get Tarkowksi on the cheap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Is this true? I think we could be getting to a point where it becomes very difficult, if not impossible, to improve the starting XI immediately with signings.

Who can we sign who is an upgrade on Ndidi? Or Ricardo? Vardy? Tielemans? Soyuncu? etc. For a lot of positions, there's only a handful of players, if that, out there who are currently better, and they're all going to be way beyond our budget.

I think we'll be mainly be adding to the squad at this point, rather than buying players who go straight into the first XI.

RW is the obvious weakness that we have to address to improve the starting XI.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, murphy said:

RW is the obvious weakness that we have to address to improve the starting XI.

I know. The original comment acknowledged that. The one I replied to was saying it's always possible to improve the starting XI with signings. I don't think that's true.

Edited by Raw Dykes

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I wouldn't worry, can't see us spend that sort of money on Tah when we can probably get Tarkowksi on the cheap.

Yep- why buy a Mercedes when you can pick-up a Vauxhall Victor on the cheap.

I really don't see the clamour for a Tah or Tarkowski, Yes it would be nice to have 4 good options for the position, but what player of that quality is going to want to come and sit behind Fofana, Soyuncu and Evans in the pecking order.

Yes we've been unlucky with injuries this year to CB's but I don't think spending money on someone who will at most play 10 games a season is wise. Happy with Amartey as that 4th choice, or Josh Knight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

That’s where the analysis and recruitment team come in. If we’re not looking to constantly improve every aspect of the club what’s the point? That’s whats got us this far, being proactive and efficient on and off the pitch. I doubt people thought Soyuncu or Justin to a lesser extent would improve our starting XI but they did. Soyuncu did almost immediately. 

6 minutes ago, LVocey said:

I really don't see the clamour for a Tah or Tarkowski, Yes it would be nice to have 4 good options for the position, but what player of that quality is going to want to come and sit behind Fofana, Soyuncu and Evans in the pecking order.

Yes we've been unlucky with injuries this year to CB's but I don't think spending money on someone who will at most play 10 games a season is wise. Happy with Amartey as that 4th choice, or Josh Knight.

Someone who thinks playing 25-30 games a season with a top 6 club, and in Europe, for more money than they’re on now, doesn’t sound unattractive?

17 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Someone who thinks playing 25-30 games a season with a top 6 club, and in Europe, for more money than they’re on now, doesn’t sound unattractive?

Personally don't see a 4th choice centre back playing that many games. I don't see us having the same injury issues next year as we have this year, and we will likely play a very similar amount of games.

So far Amartey has started 6 games. Take into account some of those are at Right Back (where some of those appearances have also been down to injury) he will probably finish the season around the 15 mark at most?

It just doesn't make financial sense to me, while money is tight (and it will be relatively tight next year, even if we qualify for CL), to spend money on that kind of player.

Right Winger, Centre Forward and Centre Midfielder are far more important.

8 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

That’s where the analysis and recruitment team come in. If we’re not looking to constantly improve every aspect of the club what’s the point? That’s whats got us this far, being proactive and efficient on and off the pitch. I doubt people thought Soyuncu or Justin to a lesser extent would improve our starting XI but they did. Soyuncu did almost immediately. 

I'm not saying we're not trying to improve every aspect of the club. I'm saying that I believe we're at, or very close to, a point where signing players who instantly improve the first XI (other than RW) is extremely difficult, if not impossible, due, not only to financial constraints, but also because there aren't that many players in the world that are better than what we have. Also, the few who we can afford who are better than what we already have will likely also be wanted by the elite clubs across Europe.

I believe Soyuncu and Justin could end up being world class. I think they could be at Barca or Real Madrid one day. When we signed them, it was a bit easier to improve the first XI, because it wasn't what it is now. They also both took a season to bed in.

Who could we sign who is an instant improvement on Ndidi? Or Vardy? Tielemans? Ricardo? Soyuncu? I don't think there are many better players out there who we could both afford and who would want to sign for us.

That's not to say we can't improve the squad. We can add depth and find young players who can be the eventual successors to our current players. I just wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for us to sign a player who comes in and goes straight into the first team (except at RW or to replace a player we sell or who is on the decline).

Maybe I'm wrong and we manage to continue to find players who are already better than what we have, but there is a finite number of players on the planet, and eleven of them are the best in their position.

3 hours ago, murphy said:

100%, 35million euros better spent elsewhere, unless cags or little wes left

• Like 2

3 hours ago, murphy said:

How many of those options can play 8n a back 4 though? We don't want to resort to a back 3 everytime we have a few injuries...

11 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I'm not saying we're not trying to improve every aspect of the club. I'm saying that I believe we're at, or very close to, a point where signing players who instantly improve the first XI (other than RW) is extremely difficult, if not impossible, due, not only to financial constraints, but also because there aren't that many players in the world that are better than what we have. Also, the few who we can afford who are better than what we already have will likely also be wanted by the elite clubs across Europe.

I believe Soyuncu and Justin could end up being world class. I think they could be at Barca or Real Madrid one day. When we signed them, it was a bit easier to improve the first XI, because it wasn't what it is now. They also both took a season to bed in.

Who could we sign who is an instant improvement on Ndidi? Or Vardy? Tielemans? Ricardo? Soyuncu? I don't think there are many better players out there who we could both afford and who would want to sign for us.

That's not to say we can't improve the squad. We can add depth and find young players who can be the eventual successors to our current players. I just wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for us to sign a player who comes in and goes straight into the first team (except at RW or to replace a player we sell or who is on the decline).

Maybe I'm wrong and we manage to continue to find players who are already better than what we have, but there is a finite number of players on the planet, and eleven of them are the best in their position.

There’s still a huge amount of scope left to improve despite our strong looking squad. We thought Kante would never be replaced but we’re now left with Ndidi who is potentially/arguably better albeit differently. 

In answer to your question I don’t know which area we’d be looking at, that’s why I don’t get paid 500,000 a year. Right winger is obvious so that goes without saying. 

In football things change very quickly. Right now we would find it hard to see any of our starters getting displaced but come September, for example, having signed a player in the summer you may well see that happen. 

26 minutes ago, LVocey said:

Personally don't see a 4th choice centre back playing that many games. I don't see us having the same injury issues next year as we have this year, and we will likely play a very similar amount of games.

So far Amartey has started 6 games. Take into account some of those are at Right Back (where some of those appearances have also been down to injury) he will probably finish the season around the 15 mark at most?

It just doesn't make financial sense to me, while money is tight (and it will be relatively tight next year, even if we qualify for CL), to spend money on that kind of player.

Right Winger, Centre Forward and Centre Midfielder are far more important.

That’s not the way I’d look at it. How many games have Fuchs, Morgan, Justin & Amartey played this season? 
If the club continues on its present trajectory, we are looking at 55+ games next season. There’d be plenty for a 4th choice CB, and wouldn’t have to play 3 at the back every time we had an injury to one of our main CBs.

1 minute ago, TJB-fox said:

There’s still a huge amount of scope left to improve despite our strong looking squad. We thought Kante would never be replaced but we’re now left with Ndidi who is potentially/arguably better albeit differently. 

In answer to your question I don’t know which area we’d be looking at, that’s why I don’t get paid 500,000 a year. Right winger is obvious so that goes without saying. 

In football things change very quickly. Right now we would find it hard to see any of our starters getting displaced but come September, for example, having signed a player in the summer you may well see that happen. 

I can see we're not going to agree about the amount of scope left to improve the starting XI. The squad on the whole, I agree, can much more easily be improved. I think the defence has good strength in depth now, the midfield is getting there with Praet fit and KDH back, but we could certainly add a couple of forwards (RW and ST) in the summer.

As I say, you might be right and we might see a genius signing who ousts a non-RW from their place in the team. I'm just saying it's harder to do now than it was, given the quality we have now compared to before. If a club had the world's best player in each position, then it would be impossible for them to instantly improve their starting XI with any signings.

Prepared for hostile responses, but how much longer do we think Kasper has got? I realise he is a keeper and they seem to go longer, but should we think about succession planning there at some point in the next couple of years?

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Prepared for hostile responses, but how much longer do we think Kasper has got? I realise he is a keeper and they seem to go longer, but should we think about succession planning there at some point in the next couple of years?

Couple of years, then hopefully Iversen has a couple more seasons of 1st team football out on loan and could be the option to take his place, only played about 6 games for Preston but their fans love him already

• Like 2