Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

LEICESTER POSTS £67M PRE-TAX LOSS

13 minutes ago, Heymister2015 said:

Tottenham made £70m extra from concerts/American football and hospitality in the one season they managed to host. So if Leicester could even make £20m extra from those kind of revenue streams as well as being a future World Cup/euro venue they’d quickly make back there short term expenditure 

I know Spurs as looked at as a bit of a joke at times, but if you look at their income and potential for even more income, once their infrastructure is paid off they are going to have a huge amount of cash available to invest in players and wages. Their wage bill is only fractionally bigger than ours!!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Golden Fox said:

OK, its a bit sad, but I'm genuinely intrigued by how a company can go from being profitable 4 years in a row to suddenly making a £67m loss, so I've done done more analysis on the last 5 years (the 6th year back when we were in the Championship is a different ballgame altogether):

And time for a bit of humble pie: In a deeper dive into the accounts, player transfers are quite misleading: the fees to buy players actually show as amortisation within COS, but the fees we receive go on the face of the P+L as transfers, which is why it looks like we are making a massive profit on them each year - once you match the 2 off against each other, the losses don't look as bad, and the numbers start to make more sense. I've looked at my original post & the headline comment that the business is spending £272m on a turnover of £150m. Taking out transfers, the business is only spending £194m on non-transfers, so adding in the covid deferred income for a turnover of £182m is a very different scenario.

2020 2019 2018 2017 2016
"Normalised" turnover * 182,350 178,429 158,881 162,890 128,715
Actual turnover 149,450 178,429 158,881 233,013 128,715
Wages 157,479 149,512 119,013 112,555 80,352
Other costs 36,609 39,291 25,138 34,847 22,625
Transfer writedown (amortisation) 78,273 63,979 48,807 29,701 18,059
Net Transfer income 63,088 58,396 38,330 38,830 10,793
Net transfers (15,185) (5,583) (10,477) 9,129 (7,266)
Book pre-tax & pre-interest profit (59,823) (15,957) 4,253 94,740 18,472
"Normalised" pre-tax pre-tfr profit * (11,738) (10,374) 14,659 15,488 25,738
Actual pre-tax profit (59,823) (15,957) 4,253 94,740 18,472
Current (liabilities)/assets (186,036) (65,790) (31,205) 8,863 166,711

* Figures exclude Champions league turnover of £70.1m in 2017 but add Covid-deferred turnover of £32.9 in 2020

So if you exclude the impact of transfers, the Champions League windfall, but add back in the Covid  money lost from March '20-May '20, we have gone from making a £25m profit in 2016 to a £12m loss in 2020.

The root cause of this is wages: turnover has increased pretty much every year from £129m to £182m, while at the same time, wages have increased from £80m to £157m - so wages have increased by £24m more than profit, which is the big driver.

So actually, I will take back my previous comment that a year in the Champions League won't return us to profitability or that it would take more than a player sale: £12m underlying loss is not big in the scheme of things: and with the £33m Covid deferral, the £15m net transfers and £7m interest I can see how you get to a £67m loss.

Having lived through this before and ended up in administration (plus having mates who support Bury and Darlington), I am very nervous about chasing the dream, and I am very nervous about the trend in net assets/liabilities with a swing of £352m in 5 years, but I do now think this is being done in a much more controlled manner following a deeper dive into the numbers & a re-evaluation of the way the transfers are reported.

Therefore, having set out to have a good read through the 2020 accounts, there is a lot more of a story to it, and I think the football club does look to be in pretty good shape considering we are punching our way into the top 6.

it would be interesting to see the what the main driver behind the year on year increase in turnover has been over the past 5 years? Is this mainly down to increases in commercial revenue or from the EPL TV deal/prize money?

4 minutes ago, turlo said:

it would be interesting to see the what the main driver behind the year on year increase in turnover has been over the past 5 years? Is this mainly down to increases in commercial revenue or from the EPL TV deal/prize money?

Mainly broadcasting.

2020 2019 2018 2017 2016
Broadcasting income 135,200 127,865 124,152 120,696 94,677
Europe     71 70,123  
Gate receipts 13,081 14,686 12,869 16,458 11,567
Other income (commercial/sponsorship) 34,069 35,878 21,789 25,736 22,471
Total 182,350 178,429 158,881 233,013 128,715

(Kept 2020 adj for Covid timing, but have put back in the CL money from 2017)

What is interesting is

- how small the gate receipts are. Adding another few thousand seats won't really make much odds.

- how big the Europe money is. (Basically make or break for a bigger cost base than ours. If only you could find a way to guarantee a Champions League place...)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Heymister2015 said:

Tottenham made £70m extra from concerts/American football and hospitality in the one season they managed to host. So if Leicester could even make £20m extra from those kind of revenue streams as well as being a future World Cup/euro venue they’d quickly make back there short term expenditure 

I wasn't aware they'd made that much from it, fair play to them. 

The gate money thing less than 10% of total is interesting in that we could probalby manage for ever with no fans and extra seats do not make a deal of difference unless you can do some serious corporate and money generating stuff alongside.Tv is the money !!

30 minutes ago, dynamark said:

The gate money thing less than 10% of total is interesting in that we could probalby manage for ever with no fans and extra seats do not make a deal of difference unless you can do some serious corporate and money generating stuff alongside.Tv is the money !!

It was highlighted a few years ago that the revenues from gate receipts at most PL clubs are now almost inconsequential to the overall sustainability of most clubs.

However, what COVID has emphatically shown is that the absence of fans from stadiums significantly detracts from the excitement of the product from a TV perspective and the absence of fans would almost certainly have an adverse impact on future TV revenues and negotiations.....and that would have a very serious effect on the business models of most PL clubs.

Just a thought but.....

If anything, COVID has re-enforced how important fans and atmosphere at stadiums are to the financial well being of the game.   Possibly presents a strong argument for ticket prices to be reduced to ensure stadiums are always full as the impact on match day revenues would be minimal but the value in terms of TV revenues would be life supporting.....just like the ticket pricing policies at many of the leading Bundesliga clubs (ie Bayern Munich and Dortmund) who offer 'social' ticket pricing to ensure affordability for those who are financially less well-off

Edited by Foxy-Lady
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I know Spurs as looked at as a bit of a joke at times, but if you look at their income and potential for even more income, once their infrastructure is paid off they are going to have a huge amount of cash available to invest in players and wages. Their wage bill is only fractionally bigger than ours!!

For years, Tottenham have had a wage cap, play hard ball on transfers and always sell there best players (Berbatov, Bale, Carrick, Modric etc) and have managed one trophy (League cup) in the 2000s. They are the least successful club from the so called big 6. Looking at there squad today (not including loanees), its no surprise to me they aren't doing so well (and are largely playing crap football)

Yes they have a billion pound stadium which was meant to cost around £400m when plans were submitted, and they apparently need to repay over 1b including interest although I cant find that article (I can only find the one from last year https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11676596/tottenham-stadium-loan-repayments/ )

They will continue to be talked about due to their London post-code and the fact they did achieved plenty in yesteryear, including the double. To me, they are a very average club with an amazing stadium and thats it. Living in London I am surrounded by delusional Spurs fans who talk like they are Real Madrid! They are not all that and IMO, not that smart a club when you look at their trophy cabinet.

16 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

For years, Tottenham have had a wage cap, play hard ball on transfers and always sell there best players (Berbatov, Bale, Carrick, Modric etc) and have managed one trophy (League cup) in the 2000s. They are the least successful club from the so called big 6. Looking at there squad today (not including loanees), its no surprise to me they aren't doing so well (and are largely playing crap football)

Yes they have a billion pound stadium which was meant to cost around £400m when plans were submitted, and they apparently need to repay over 1b including interest although I cant find that article (I can only find the one from last year https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/11676596/tottenham-stadium-loan-repayments/ )

They will continue to be talked about due to their London post-code and the fact they did achieved plenty in yesteryear, including the double. To me, they are a very average club with an amazing stadium and thats it. Living in London I am surrounded by delusional Spurs fans who talk like they are Real Madrid! They are not all that and IMO, not that smart a club when you look at their trophy cabinet.

Spurs are like Real Madrid in some ways......they both play in white shirts in their capital cities.....and they both have Gareth Bale on their books.    And there, the similarities end...!

(PS they both also have huge trophy cabinets........except one of them is empty!!)

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

I agree to a point, but the point was the ability to massively increase their wage bill and start spending should come. Now, that doesn't mean they will loosen the purse strings. But they are going about things the way we are in some respects, putting in all the ground work, incredible training complex and stadium. 

4 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

OK, its a bit sad, but I'm genuinely intrigued by how a company can go from being profitable 4 years in a row to suddenly making a £67m loss, so I've done done more analysis on the last 5 years (the 6th year back when we were in the Championship is a different ballgame altogether):

And time for a bit of humble pie: In a deeper dive into the accounts, player transfers are quite misleading: the fees to buy players actually show as amortisation within COS, but the fees we receive go on the face of the P+L as transfers, which is why it looks like we are making a massive profit on them each year - once you match the 2 off against each other, the losses don't look as bad, and the numbers start to make more sense. I've looked at my original post & the headline comment that the business is spending £272m on a turnover of £150m. Taking out transfers, the business is only spending £194m on non-transfers, so adding in the covid deferred income for a turnover of £182m is a very different scenario.

2020 2019 2018 2017 2016
"Normalised" turnover * 182,350 178,429 158,881 162,890 128,715
Actual turnover 149,450 178,429 158,881 233,013 128,715
Wages 157,479 149,512 119,013 112,555 80,352
Other costs 36,609 39,291 25,138 34,847 22,625
Transfer writedown (amortisation) 78,273 63,979 48,807 29,701 18,059
Net Transfer income 63,088 58,396 38,330 38,830 10,793
Net transfers (15,185) (5,583) (10,477) 9,129 (7,266)
Book pre-tax & pre-interest profit (59,823) (15,957) 4,253 94,740 18,472
"Normalised" pre-tax pre-tfr profit * (11,738) (10,374) 14,659 15,488 25,738
Actual pre-tax profit (59,823) (15,957) 4,253 94,740 18,472
Current (liabilities)/assets (186,036) (65,790) (31,205) 8,863 166,711

* Figures exclude Champions league turnover of £70.1m in 2017 but add Covid-deferred turnover of £32.9 in 2020

So if you exclude the impact of transfers, the Champions League windfall, but add back in the Covid  money lost from March '20-May '20, we have gone from making a £25m profit in 2016 to a £12m loss in 2020.

The root cause of this is wages: turnover has increased pretty much every year from £129m to £182m, while at the same time, wages have increased from £80m to £157m - so wages have increased by £24m more than profit, which is the big driver.

So actually, I will take back my previous comment that a year in the Champions League won't return us to profitability or that it would take more than a player sale: £12m underlying loss is not big in the scheme of things: and with the £33m Covid deferral, the £15m net transfers and £7m interest I can see how you get to a £67m loss.

Having lived through this before and ended up in administration (plus having mates who support Bury and Darlington), I am very nervous about chasing the dream, and I am very nervous about the trend in net assets/liabilities with a swing of £352m in 5 years, but I do now think this is being done in a much more controlled manner following a deeper dive into the numbers & a re-evaluation of the way the transfers are reported.

Therefore, having set out to have a good read through the 2020 accounts, there is a lot more of a story to it, and I think the football club does look to be in pretty good shape considering we are punching our way into the top 6.

We should also bear in mind that during this 5 year period we have absorbed losses on some of the biggest transfer mistakes the club has ever made, Silva, Slimani, and to a much lesser extent Ghezzal. They cost a total of what, over 60m plus wages? Contributed very little (maybe Slimani in the CL to some extent early on).

Edited by WigstonWanderer

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

It going to take them a while I think they are looking a 15-30 years to pay it in full!

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

It going to take them a while I think they are looking a 15-30 years to pay it in full!

Have you looked at their turnover compared to wages? Without the COVID mess they’d be ploughing into the debt. Everyone has debt pretty much, wouldn’t have taken long to bring it down to manageable levels.

Exactly

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I wasn't aware they'd made that much from it, fair play to them. 

exactly! So Even if they did a £200m development and made half of what spurs make it could be paid off within 4/5 years. So fans panicking about spreadsheets all looks a bit silly when revenue streams could be huge 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Have you looked at their turnover compared to wages? Without the COVID mess they’d be ploughing into the debt. Everyone has debt pretty much, wouldn’t have taken long to bring it down to manageable levels.

In March 2020 Tottenham had pre-tax profit of £87.4million, Tottenham’s total debt is projected to be £1.17billion. 

If they made that every year and paid no tax it would take 11 years......

No CL football this season and next season isn't going to help. 

Which ever why we like to dress it up, clubs like spurs are going to be way ahead of us money wise with the extra revenue they can generate through their stadium and now almost guaranteed champions league qualification.

We need to make the most of these next 2 years because the odds are going to be stacked against us after that and the premier league will cease to be a competition where clubs are awarded prize money on merit, instead they'll get champions league revenue through the back door.

It's going to be very hard for a club like ours to maintain the drive for European places going forward. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The most important thing is we are a club that harbours ambitions and so far seem to back it up, that's all fans can hope and ask for surely?

As long as those ambitions include breaking even eventually. It doesn't feel prudent to be reliant on a monarchy granting a monopoly.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Hence the owners are diversifying considerably in recent years.

I'd still like the club to be self-sufficient. From what I've read about it seems like CL football, no matter how rotten it is, seems one of the few ways.

11 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

What happened?

Spurs found it hard to pay the loans it took to cover there stadium build costs, and the UK government gave me them the money at virtually zero interest, because they were seen as making profits year in year out. Football clubs will make a profit if they don't spend much in the transfer market, like in the Pochettino era at Surs

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Spurs found it hard to pay the loans it took to cover there stadium build costs, and the UK government gave me them the money at virtually zero interest, because they were seen as making profits year in year out. Football clubs will make a profit if they don't spend much in the transfer market, like in the Pochettino era at Surs

...was that a Freudian moment!!!

15 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

In March 2020 Tottenham had pre-tax profit of £87.4million, Tottenham’s total debt is projected to be £1.17billion. 

If they made that every year and paid no tax it would take 11 years......

No CL football this season and next season isn't going to help. 

Their revenue is nearly £500m in a normal season, with wages not much higher than ours. That money will be servicing the loans, they just have to bring it down a bit to something more comfortable. 

Even if it took 15 years, the point is when it is brought down they've got room to make a lot of signings and increase wages.