Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

LEICESTER POSTS £67M PRE-TAX LOSS

Agree @Ric Flair something would have to give to for the club to achieve self sufficiency.  I'm sure the owners have a long term vison along the lines being in a position where we've cemented ourself as a top 6 club, who's challenging for trophies, while being as close to self sufficiency as possible without having to sell one of our best players each year - this could take 10 years + winning a few more trophies to build up our commercial revenue streams to the required level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Their revenue is nearly £500m in a normal season, with wages not much higher than ours. That money will be servicing the loans, they just have to bring it down a bit to something more comfortable. 

Even if it took 15 years, the point is when it is brought down they've got room to make a lot of signings and increase wages. 

In 2002 Arsenal started work on the Emirates Stadium they had just finish Champions that season, and saw Emirates as a way to

cementing their position at the forefront of the PL and European football. 

Nearly 20 years later, its not exactly worked out as they expected.  In 2020 they still owe 140m on the stadium. 

I just think the figure of 1B for Spurs stadium and 500m for Everton are crazy money. 

Only time will tell. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

This is more a general dilemma for us all rather than in direct response to you but if our fans want to see us being wholly self sufficient then somethings got to give.

Currently our fan base heavily dislike us selling a key player each season, they yearn for more new players each season than we tend to bring in and they also want new contracts given to our successful players to fend off point 1 and/or ensure they don't enter the final 2 years of their contract and diminish in value.

So to pay for all of the above, baring in mind we already have wages at nearly 100% turnover (if you add back to the deffered payments to the 2019/20 accounts). Where do our fans think the funds required to give Tielemans, Soyuncu, Ricardo, Barnes and Iheanacho new contracts is going to come from? There's also an argument that Ndidi needs a new one soon too. Are our fans content just to fund those increases as well as not posting a significant loss to the accounts that we'd need to sell a high value asset too and probably not spend that money on replacements. 

If fans aren't happy with that scenario then what gives? Do fans then turn a blind eye to being propped up by the owners or do they demand that commercial revenue increase by 30-50% to pay for all this, baring in mind we failed to make much progression in this regard even after winning the league and our CL exploits. We've become the poster club for upsetting the elite and yet we still don't have global companies throwing multi million pound contracts at us. 

That was a one off, we need to change the mindset of companies and there view of us, by being successful for a sustained period, regular Europe football, challenging for trophies, attracting big name players. 

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Obviously qualifying for the CL or at least getting EL football each season will massively help us but in order to achieve this consistently we have to push it to the max to challenge. So once again, what gives? Should we be self sufficient as a rule and then try and to challenge within that but accept that we can only go so far at doing that, or do we try and seize the momentum and foundations that we have built with the long term goal of increasing all revenue streams through success and in return be less reliant on our owners?

I trust our owners and its a privilege to support us during this golden period. We are incredibly fortunate and in Susan Whelan we have one of the shrewdest CEO's out there.

CL qualification and an FA Cup win please and let's see where we go from there 🤪

In the short term we can break even and be mid-table or lose money and compete at the top end of the table, we can't do both.

Fans can't have their cake and eat it.

Long term as we grow we can do both, but it will take time.

I think the owner are happy for us to lose up to 15-20m ish a year, like we did that for 5 season whilst trying to get to the PL.

We would have lost about 20m will out COVID coming along

I'm not sure they would be happy seeing us losing 60-70m a season for any length of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

In 2002 Arsenal started work on the Emirates Stadium they had just finish Champions that season, and saw Emirates as a way to

Nearly 20 years later, its not exactly worked out as they expected.  In 2020 they still owe 140m on the stadium. 

Because they've bought shit players and had shit mangers. You still need to get the basics right, just as Spurs do and we do. 

Edited by Babylon

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Because they've bought shit players and had shit mangers. You still need to get the basics right, just as Spurs do and we do. 

I'd argue that.

Managers the last 10 year 4 appoints , 2 dreadful, 1 brilliant, 1 the jury still out. 

2012 André Villas-Boas

2013 Tim Sherwood

2014 Mauricio Pochettino

2019 José Mourinho

Transfers, I'd argue they have been average.

20/21

Giovani Lo Celso Real Betis Balompié Real Betis £28.80m
Sergio Reguilón Real Madrid Real Madrid £27.00m
Matt Doherty Wolverhampton Wanderers Wolves £15.12m
Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg Southampton FC Southampton £14.94m
Joe Rodon Swansea City Swansea £10.89m

19/20

Players Club Transfer sum
Tanguy Ndombélé Olympique Lyon Olympique Lyon £54.00m
Steven Bergwijn PSV Eindhoven PSV Eindhoven £27.00m
Ryan Sessegnon Fulham FC Fulham £24.30m
Giovani Lo Celso Real Betis Balompié Real Betis Loan fee:
£14.40m

18/19

Davinson Sánchez Ajax Amsterdam Ajax £37.80m
Lucas Moura Paris Saint-Germain Paris SG £25.56m
Serge Aurier Paris Saint-Germain Paris SG £22.50m
Fernando Llorente Swansea City Swansea £13.59m
Juan Foyth Club Estudiantes de La Plata Estudiantes £11.70m

17/18

Moussa Sissoko Newcastle United Newcastle £31.50m
Vincent Janssen AZ Alkmaar AZ Alkmaar £19.80m
Victor Wanyama Southampton FC Southampton £12.96m
Georges-Kevin N'Koudou Olympique Marseille Marseille £9.90m

16 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I'd argue that.

Managers the last 10 year 4 appoints , 2 dreadful, 1 brilliant, 1 the jury still out. 

2012 André Villas-Boas

2013 Tim Sherwood

2014 Mauricio Pochettino

2019 José Mourinho

20/21

19/20

£14.40m

18/19

17/18

Not what I meant, I meant you still need to get decisions right no matter how much money you bring in, not that they get all their decisions right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I'd argue that.

2012 André Villas-Boas

2013 Tim Sherwood

2014 Mauricio Pochettino

2019 José Mourinho

20/21

19/20

£14.40m

18/19

17/18

Looking at the amount they've spent they'll be struggling without CL money that's for sure!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

This is more a general dilemma for us all rather than in direct response to you but if our fans want to see us being wholly self sufficient then somethings got to give.

Currently our fan base heavily dislike us selling a key player each season, they yearn for more new players each season than we tend to bring in and they also want new contracts given to our successful players to fend off point 1 and/or ensure they don't enter the final 2 years of their contract and diminish in value.

So to pay for all of the above, baring in mind we already have wages at nearly 100% turnover (if you add back to the deffered payments to the 2019/20 accounts). Where do our fans think the funds required to give Tielemans, Soyuncu, Ricardo, Barnes and Iheanacho new contracts is going to come from? There's also an argument that Ndidi needs a new one soon too. Are our fans content just to fund those increases as well as not posting a significant loss to the accounts that we'd need to sell a high value asset too and probably not spend that money on replacements. 

If fans aren't happy with that scenario then what gives? Do fans then turn a blind eye to being propped up by the owners or do they demand that commercial revenue increase by 30-50% to pay for all this, baring in mind we failed to make much progression in this regard even after winning the league and our CL exploits. We've become the poster club for upsetting the elite and yet we still don't have global companies throwing multi million pound contracts at us. 

Obviously qualifying for the CL or at least getting EL football each season will massively help us but in order to achieve this consistently we have to push it to the max to challenge. So once again, what gives? Should we be self sufficient as a rule and then try and to challenge within that but accept that we can only go so far at doing that, or do we try and seize the momentum and foundations that we have built with the long term goal of increasing all revenue streams through success and in return be less reliant on our owners?

I trust our owners and its a privilege to support us during this golden period. We are incredibly fortunate and in Susan Whelan we have one of the shrewdest CEO's out there.

CL qualification and an FA Cup win please and let's see where we go from there 🤪

Seems fairly simple to me tbh. Either we stay where we are, upper half of the table, and break even by selling a big player every season. Or get Champions League football and make a little profit every season. In the long term we should increase revenue by selling academy graduates and eventually gaining a global fanbase. If we want both trophies and to keep world-class players I see no other option than Champions League football.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I just think the figure of 1B for Spurs stadium and 500m for Everton are crazy money. 

Only time will tell. 

....still forking out £72m for Pepe.....when are we going to do that!!!

9 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Seems fairly simple to me tbh. Either we stay where we are, upper half of the table, and break even by selling a big player every season. Or get Champions League football and make a little profit every season. In the long term we should increase revenue by selling academy graduates and eventually gaining a global fanbase. If we want both trophies and to keep world-class players I see no other option than Champions League football.

Agreed, so to continually challenge for top 4/6 every season we have to push it to the max in the short term to seize the opportunity and momentum. So we might see losses posted, but if the club aren't concerned with that then that's OK for now.

Lots of good posts here. 

When you strip back the spin re: Covid and the training ground, it’s clear our underlying spending on transfers/wages has depended on player sales for some time now.

The only realistic way to ditch the need to sell players is to massively boost sponsorship revenue, which essentially hasn’t grown much at all in recent years despite on-pitch success. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I'd argue that.

Managers the last 10 year 4 appoints , 2 dreadful, 1 brilliant, 1 the jury still out

2012 André Villas-Boas

2013 Tim Sherwood

2014 Mauricio Pochettino

2019 José Mourinho

20/21

19/20

£14.40m

18/19

17/18

Which one was brilliant?

10 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

We won't.  He has not been good value for Arsenal.   

Arsenal have written off some players contracts.  They have taken a punt on a manager with no experience.  They buy players who flatter to deceive.  Fortunately , we have been more astute with signings with a few poor ones along the way.

I can't see us breaking our transfer any time soon.  We have many players who out perform Pepe who cost far less.

On 30/03/2021 at 18:57, Golden Fox said:

Analysing a business' results is very different from running it. For example, I wouldn't have the stones to put out a press release as full of BS as they have, but it works when you see the coverage!

My line of work is for plcs who are far larger and more profitable than Leicester who are far cleverer about press releases as they need to be with investors crawling all over them. There is no place to hide when you are listed and your results will get picked apart. The true stakeholders for LCFC are KP, the family and the banks, who will form their view from a wider source, much of it non-public data, including forecasts and business plans, so the focus is not on the actual accounts and associated press release, so they can take some liberties with them. 

So on the one hand, I probably do have skills and experience that could help, but on the other hand, I'm not stupid enough to work for a company with £186m net liabilities, so no thank you! 

P.S. I would like to think I could have a go at making money from a business if it was a Monpoly though!

Those that can, do. Those that can't, criticise.

On 02/04/2021 at 00:14, sacreblueits442 said:

Being paid over 5 years, only had to pay £20m upfront with the remaining £52m paid over the next 5 years

Edited by moore_94

On 02/04/2021 at 10:33, Aus Fox said:

Which one was brilliant?

If I had to guess I would go with the one who got them four consecutive years of Champions League football, a Champions League final and their highest league finish since the '60s

"The 'Big Six' clubs in the Premier League (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham) had a collective matchday income of £495m in 2018-19, which represented 73% of the total made in the Premier League"

The quote above which was within the tabloids as the pandemic hit indicates that we wont be hurting as much as most around us in the league table.

The other thing to look at is the assets of what I now call the "Big 7" (We deserve to be in amongst them due to our consistency over the recent years). How many of those teams around us have the playing assets we have? I genuinely would not swap squads with anyone. We have so many players who have plenty of improvement ahead but even today would command a huge fee.

We will sell one Im almost certain, not out of necessity to balance the books but a mixture of the player wanting to earn more.

Apart from Real Madrid and Barca, every club sells there best players sooner or later anyway so we shouldn't somehow feel we are any different. Thankfully, our recruitment is so good we havent felt the player losses as much as others.

16 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Perhaps Gladioli wasn't kidding when he said they couldn't afford a new striker. 

Yeah, right. 

Sheikh Mansour will just have to see what has fallen out his pockets and under the sofa cushions