Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

On 20/06/2021 at 12:17, Spiritwalker said:

Each to their own, he’s one of my favourite politicians, very witty and was on great form this morning.

I can assure you that he won't be missed, not if he crosses the road in front of me anyway!🤣

Edited by Gordon the Great
Missed word
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Magictv said:

I do feel sorry for these people (saw a similar thing interviewing farmers who voted Leave the other day) but at the end of the day, we were all warned this was a possible consequence of it. People who voted in favour of it need to take ownership of that.

The problem is enough people don't actually give a fvck about the cost to these industries and are just happy with the act of Brexit itself. That is the victory for them, and anything else just doesn't matter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/06/2021 at 23:10, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Labour have only had 13 of the last 42 years in power, and that was what many consider a right wing version of a left wing party.

It would be good if voters dissatisfied with the state of the nation remembered this fact when they went to the polls.

Once Covid hopefully fades into the background, the great mission of the Tory Govt is "levelling up". Fair play, very necessary. Regional inequality has increased massively, the economy is slanted towards the SE and unhealthily reliant on The City and consumerism - and deindustralized regions have been badly neglected. But who was in power for 29 of the past 42 years? Not entirely the Tories' fault as global economic trends have been crucial....but an awful lot more could've been done to "level up" over the past 42 years.

The issue of the moment is an education report finding that disadvantaged white kids are under-performing similar kids of other ethnicities. They've been neglected for decades, the report suggests......which begs the question as to which irresponsible party has dominated power over those decades. However, some now claim that this is nothing to do with under-funding of education or failure to target resources properly over those decades - and nothing to do with slashing the funding of Sure Start early years programmes that sought to counteract the disadvantages of disadvantaged kids of every ethnicity. It's all due to people focusing on "white privilege", apparently. Strange, as I have a 17-year-old and never recall either her or her schools talking about white privilege.

To deploy my habitual football analogy, if LCFC fall on hard times and are looking for a new manager, wouldn't we want to focus on candidates' records and evidence of their abilities?

Or would we want to ignore all that and appoint someone with a cheerful manner, a bit of a character who was "one of us" and was entertaining on TV? Holloway as Boris for football, anyone? :whistle:

• Like 3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56846637

With a week to go until the deadline for EU nationals living in the UK to apply for settled status, it is clear that far more EU citizens have been living in the country than previous estimates suggested.

As of 31 May, the government had received 5.6 million applications for the post-Brexit scheme that allows EU (and EEA) nationals to continue living and working in the UK after the end of this month.

That is far higher than the official estimate when the scheme was fully opened in March 2019 that there were 3.7 million (non-Irish) EU nationals in the country.

Surprising. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

With a week to go until the deadline for EU nationals living in the UK to apply for settled status, it is clear that far more EU citizens have been living in the country than previous estimates suggested.

As of 31 May, the government had received 5.6 million applications for the post-Brexit scheme that allows EU (and EEA) nationals to continue living and working in the UK after the end of this month.

That is far higher than the official estimate when the scheme was fully opened in March 2019 that there were 3.7 million (non-Irish) EU nationals in the country.

Surprising. 

So **** loads of people left, and we still have 2 million more European migrants than we thought?  Or lots of people brought their families in while they have the chance?

8 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

So **** loads of people left, and we still have 2 million more European migrants than we thought?  Or lots of people brought their families in while they have the chance?

Well, the last I heard on migration figures showed somewhere near a million foreign nationals (both eu and non-eu) leaving the UK in the last year. So I'd suggest the former. 

14 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

How did you work that out?

The figure refers to how many people have applied for the settled status scheme since it started, not how many EU citizens are currently in the UK. I know a lot of people who have received settled status but left in the last 12 months. 

45 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Surprising. 

Interesting stuff.

From the official map, it seems to be a diverse range of places where there were extra EU citizens:

- Big cities like London, Birmingham & Manchester & prosperous towns like Oxford & Cambridge: service sector jobs or finance/high-tech?

- Tourist areas like Lake District. E. Yorks coast

- Horticultural areas like Vale of Evesham, Kent, Lincs & Norfolk

- Retirement areas like Sussex coast, N. Kent coast, E. Yorks coast: care homes?

The nationality breakdown is interesting, too: surprising that there were almost as many Romanians as Poles (nearly 1m), yet the French & Germans don't even feature - so presumably fewer than 350k?

Both the map and the nationality breakdown maybe suggest that most were doing fairly low-paid work (hospitality, farms, care homes), not so many in high-skilled, high-paid jobs......though might not apply in London & 1-2 other places?

28 minutes ago, bovril said:

How did you work that out?

The figure refers to how many people have applied for the settled status scheme since it started, not how many EU citizens are currently in the UK. I know a lot of people who have received settled status but left in the last 12 months. 

Well the EU themselves are predicting "tens of thousands" haven't yet signed up for settled status, so it's probably fair to expect at least a couple hundred thousand more staying here without signing up. 

6 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Interesting stuff.

From the official map, it seems to be a diverse range of places where there were extra EU citizens:

- Big cities like London, Birmingham & Manchester & prosperous towns like Oxford & Cambridge: service sector jobs or finance/high-tech?

- Tourist areas like Lake District. E. Yorks coast

- Horticultural areas like Vale of Evesham, Kent, Lincs & Norfolk

- Retirement areas like Sussex coast, N. Kent coast, E. Yorks coast: care homes?

The nationality breakdown is interesting, too: surprising that there were almost as many Romanians as Poles (nearly 1m), yet the French & Germans don't even feature - so presumably fewer than 350k?

Both the map and the nationality breakdown maybe suggest that most were doing fairly low-paid work (hospitality, farms, care homes), not so many in high-skilled, high-paid jobs......though might not apply in London & 1-2 other places?

Not sure why that bit would surprise you Alf. Germany and France are what I'd expect 2 of (if not THE 2) biggest gatherers of foreign nationals, makes sense that their people wouldn't be coming here. 

And I think it's fairly common knowledge that they do the lowest paid jobs here. The polish engineer we had with us said for the same work he did here he'd get around £200 a month for in Poland, while here he made close to 10 times that. 

Plus we've already seen a few sectors crying about the lack of cheap labour. Going to be interesting to see the shift in wages across sectors and what will survive the culling. Plenty of cheap labour abusers in for rough times, might have to get their own hands dirty for a change. 

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Not sure why that bit would surprise you Alf. Germany and France are what I'd expect 2 of (if not THE 2) biggest gatherers of foreign nationals, makes sense that their people wouldn't be coming here. 

And I think it's fairly common knowledge that they do the lowest paid jobs here. The polish engineer we had with us said for the same work he did here he'd get around £200 a month for in Poland, while here he made close to 10 times that. 

Plus we've already seen a few sectors crying about the lack of cheap labour. Going to be interesting to see the shift in wages across sectors and what will survive the culling. Plenty of cheap labour abusers in for rough times, might have to get their own hands dirty for a change. 

I'm sure France & Germany are 2 of the biggest gatherers of foreign nationals. That doesn't mean that they don't also export a fair few of their own nationals - especially as 2 of the most populous Euro-nations & both nearby.

There are plenty of French and Germans in the UK: e.g. many in London working in finance/business plus younger ones in lower-wage work.

Unsurprisingly, 2011 census data showed Poles as the most numerous foreign nationality, but French came 6th and Germans 8th, whereas Romania wasn't in the Top 10:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/articles/detailedcountryofbirthandnationalityanalysisfromthe2011censusofenglandandwales/2013-05-13

Presumably the number of French & Germans in the UK has stabilised or fallen but hundreds of thousands of Romanians have arrived in the last 10 years......though I had forgotten that, although Romania joined the EU in 2007, their citizens only gained the automatic right to work in the UK from 2014. That suggests a big shift to low-paid jobs in the last decade.

Yes, there could be a crisis in several sectors due to the lack of cheap labour - and I doubt that a few cheap labour bosses getting their hands dirty will solve the problem.

Maybe a case of (1) Higher pay to attract locals & higher-priced goods & services and/or (2) More British workers getting their hands dirty and/or (3) Further immigration so as to maintain cheap labour/low prices (would be controversial) and/or (4) More of hotel/catering closing down and farmers switching from labour-intensive to non-labour-intensive agriculture etc.

Sectors like the care sector HAVE to survive. Unless greater numbers of migrants are encouraged to come again (unlikely after Brexit), presumably pay & conditions will have to improve sufficiently for Brits to want to do the work. That would be good news, but I wonder if it will work unless unemployment is high - it's demanding work and often unsociable hours, which might not appeal to many even with higher pay.

Sectors like fruit/veg farming are an odd one as I picked fruit/spuds in my teens/early 20s and the workforce was almost 100% British back then (students, housewives, unemployed & gypsies).

6 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Sectors like the care sector HAVE to survive. Unless greater numbers of migrants are encouraged to come again (unlikely after Brexit), presumably pay & conditions will have to improve sufficiently for Brits to want to do the work. That would be good news, but I wonder if it will work unless unemployment is high - it's demanding work and often unsociable hours, which might not appeal to many even with higher pay.

Post Brexit, several areas in the care sector have been added to the 'Shortage Occupation List'. Meaning non-EU migrants trained in those areas now have a much easier route into working in the UK than before (and also now on an equal playing field to EU migrants - and Brits). For instance, all doctors jobs are now considered a shortage occupation, whereas previously it was only specific types of doctors (paediatrics, psych). So perhaps the EU migrants will be replaced by non-EU migrants instead.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, brucey said:

Post Brexit, several areas in the care sector have been added to the 'Shortage Occupation List'. Meaning non-EU migrants trained in those areas now have a much easier route into working in the UK than before (and also now on an equal playing field to EU migrants - and Brits). For instance, all doctors jobs are now considered a shortage occupation, whereas previously it was only specific types of doctors (paediatrics, psych). So perhaps the EU migrants will be replaced by non-EU migrants instead.

I hadn't seen about that - but, from what I can see, in care work (as opposed to health) it only applies to senior care workers and managers. By definition, that is presumably a minority?

Given our aging population, there could still be a growing shortage of care workers in care homes and visiting the elderly in their homes....unless less senior care workers are also added to the list or the profession is made more attractive to locals? 

12 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I hadn't seen about that - but, from what I can see, in care work (as opposed to health) it only applies to senior care workers and managers. By definition, that is presumably a minority?

Given our aging population, there could still be a growing shortage of care workers in care homes and visiting the elderly in their homes....unless less senior care workers are also added to the list or the profession is made more attractive to locals? 

This is the new visa category they introduced, where the previous visa caps no longer apply.

This page lists the job categories eligible, there's quite a large number of them.

https://www.gov.uk/health-care-worker-visa/your-job

You might be right about the care home workers - I'm not familiar with that area. I had assumed you meant healthcare in general.

Edited by brucey

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15388014/matt-hancock-secret-affair-with-aide/

Surely has to go now. Not only would this have put him in a compromised position where people could have threatened to expose him if didn't do certain things, like PPE contracts etc it also makes a mockery of the fact most of is haven't seen family for most the year, not done things we enjoy, single people haven't dated etc, all because of social distancing and only see those on your bubble, and he's been shagging his aide.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15388014/matt-hancock-secret-affair-with-aide/

Surely has to go now. Not only would this have put him in a compromised position where people could have threatened to expose him if didn't do certain things, like PPE contracts etc it also makes a mockery of the fact most of is haven't seen family for most the year, not done things we enjoy, single people haven't dated etc, all because of social distancing and only see those on your bubble, and he's been shagging his aide.

His colleague was hired "WITH PUBLIC MONEY".

Why do they write these articles as if their audience have suffered a serious brain injury?

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

His colleague was hired "WITH PUBLIC MONEY".

Why do they write these articles as if their audience have suffered a serious brain injury?

It's in The Sun, most the readers probably have.

• Haha 1

The main man at the top has gotten away with multiple affairs whilst in a cabinet role. Why should the punishment for Hancock be different? 

Both partners to Johnson and Hancock received public money it appears as well 

Looks like Johnson told Murdoch to go get Hancock 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Guest ttfn

The most amazing thing about this Hancock story is that at least 2 women have shown themselves to not be completely repulsed by him.

3 minutes ago, ttfn said:

The most amazing thing about this Hancock story is that at least 2 women have shown themselves to not be completely repulsed by him.

'What was it that first attracted you to the multi-millionaire Matt Hancock..?'