Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Not The Politics Thread.

21 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I may be wrong but I think that he'd be a smart choice. I think he's presentable enough that he can appeal to voters who don't really have an allegiance to a political party, but also he's more in touch with working class voters in the North and the Midlands having earned credibility with his involvement in the Hillsborough inquiry and the way he stood up for Greater Manchester when they put under local covid restrictions. 

He's a genuinely nice bloke too. The problem is Labour members have now twice rejected him in leadership elections. He really ought to have strolled the one Corbyn one.

Different times now though I guess. I suspect more members would have given him their vote if they could have seen in 2015 everything this country would become since then!

Of course I hope this is a moot argument because I want Labour to win next time out. I think they can under Starmer, but he really needs to toughen up a lot in his opposition. This electorate aren't going to pick someone who just comes across as serious and competent who will "do things in the national interest", when they're clearly so willing to let a complete clown run the gaff at the moment.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Well we only have to look at a false furore regards a portrait of the Queen and sportsmen past social media posts to disguise a cluster**** of the NI/Brexit headache, an unlawfully awarded contract, Hancock ignoring advice regards the Care homes leading to numerous deaths and a £70 million spend on a summit regards climate change. 

What a political system!

Outrage sells and, like you've said, distracts.

Look at the launch of GB News. Sure it'll be a bit softer (in theory) as they have to follow Ofcom guidelines, but the people behind this know full well that there's so much money in right-leaning outrage like we've seen with Talk Radio and LBC (which has this amazing balance of attracting both spectrums of the political divide with its presenters. The Pokémon of political outrage, catch em all).

Things like the Queen's portrait have, as always, got more to it than meets the eye. However, it's so easy to get a load of furious right leaning people who can rage against "WOKE CULTURE" and talk about how disloyal it is, how traitorous it is. They'll cover this for hours and the viewers lap it up, they love it... and they'll stay for the adverts.

GB News will tread that fine line because they have to. Despite claiming they're not part of the mainstream (Andrew Neil not mainstream btw??) they will have people sitting espousing the editorial line that these rent-a-hack pundits will go on time and time again. The small audience who religiously follow this will not only help enshrine their echo chamber of views, but they'll also be making a nice big fat profit for those behind it.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bovril said:

I am trying to decide whether the UK Gov either didn't know what they'd signed, didn't care, or knew and thought the ensuing row would work in their favour with the electorate. None of which look good. I imagine it's a combination of the first two which is a pretty fair reflection of the British public. 

It's definitely option 3

29 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Surely if the Govt delays the lifting of restrictions they'll get a kicking in the next set of polls.

And if they dont delay they may take a kicking in the polls. So the question may be who they prefer to take the kicking from which group contains the most potential Tory voters.

1 hour ago, doverfox said:

And if they dont delay they may take a kicking in the polls. So the question may be who they prefer to take the kicking from which group contains the most potential Tory voters.

Good point.

They'll be damned either way, even if polls this year have been incredibly kind to them.

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Johnson flies to Wuhan to pick up the latest most deadly variant of Covid, comes back and sprays it all over care homes, laughing maniacally.

CON: 51% (+8)

Starmer reacts to the news, saying that he would have sprayed it over more places besides care homes 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Apparently Cummings has released some WhatsApp conversations which won't make good reading for Johnson or Hancock. 

Just read his whole post - the over riding feeling is what a fcuking shambles the cabinet is 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Apparently Cummings has released some WhatsApp conversations which won't make good reading for Johnson or Hancock. 

They appear to confirm Boris agreed with the rest of the country that Hancock was ****ing hopeless.  The question is how and why he kept his job!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Just read his whole post - the over riding feeling is what a fcuking shambles the cabinet is 

I said it at the time, Boris took a big gamble in having a brexiteer only cabinet.  Just not enough capability in that group, and that became very clear once Covid hit.  Wrong leader, wrong cabinet.  Lucky on vaccines.

3 hours ago, Magictv said:

This is my favourite, wtf did we do wrong to deserve this PM at just the wrong time lol

I’d say this and the comment regards Johnson only wanting to be PM for two years post election are the real interesting details 

On 16/06/2021 at 20:08, UpTheLeagueFox said:

How all the polls have gone over the past month

Obviously done just before the CheshamandAmersham.gov poll Geoff 

Mind you Labour polling only 622 votes, even in a seat as Conservative as this was is worrying for Keir 

Edited by Mike Oxlong