Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Danny Ward - New Deal until 2025

Good news for us, as he's always been solid on the rare occasions he's called upon.

But I do wonder what satisfaction keepers get who opt to be second choice at a top club (:D) for years on end with little prospect becoming 1st choice.

I perfectly understand it where it's a young, up-and-coming keeper or where the No. 2 keeper stands a serious chance of challenging to become 1st choice.

Obviously, he'll be getting good pay, good training and still has international status......but I'm also guessing that he could be 1st choice keeper for a team low in the PL or high in the Championship, if he wanted? :dunno: 

28 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Good news for us, as he's always been solid on the rare occasions he's called upon.

But I do wonder what satisfaction keepers get who opt to be second choice at a top club (:D) for years on end with little prospect becoming 1st choice.

I perfectly understand it where it's a young, up-and-coming keeper or where the No. 2 keeper stands a serious chance of challenging to become 1st choice.

Obviously, he'll be getting good pay, good training and still has international status......but I'm also guessing that he could be 1st choice keeper for a team low in the PL or high in the Championship, if he wanted? :dunno: 

Yeah he's kind of that age where he's too old to be classed as an up and coming keeper waiting to replace the outgoing number 1 in a few years, like Henderson at Man Utd, but also too young to be one of those older keepers who are their as cover to see out their careers. He could be a decent number one for a few years somewhere, but I don't mind because he's a very good number 2, can't be many better in the league.

In the time he's been at the club, he would've expected Kasper to have suffered one or two injuries and had a chance to stake a claim in those games, but it hasn't to be. In the next 4 seasons, I'd expect the chances of injury or a decline in Kasper's form to increase and he could well get a few shots at becoming the number one here before Iversen, Stolarczyk, Odunze or Chibueze get their chance. Iversen is the obvious competitor right now, though and the longer Kasper keeps his place, the more likely it'll be that we'll promote Iversen and look to recoup some money on Ward, I'd say.

• Like 1

Just now, Facecloth said:

Yeah he's kind of that age where he's too old to be classed as an up and coming keeper waiting to replace the outgoing number 1 in a few years, like Henderson at Man Utd, but also too young to be one of those older keepers who are their as cover to see out their careers. He could be a decent number one for a few years somewhere, but I don't mind because he's a very good number 2, can't be many better in the league.

To be fair, he's still younger than I'd realised (27-28). Even so, he's well beyond youth prospect status, even allowing for keepers having a longer career.

Fair comment from @ALC Fox that he might still be backing himself to get opportunities of becoming No.1 at LCFC in the next few years - and would've expected Kasper to have had injuries or losses of form in the last 3 years.

Anyway, I'm glad that he's signed a new deal, as he's always looked decent. I'm just interested in his thought processes about his career.

Imagining myself in his situation, I reckon I'd have wanted a better chance of playing regularly, even if it meant moving to a slightly lower-ranked club......good for us that he doesn't think that way, apparently.

A good move by the Club to secure him for another 4 years. He's an excellent Keeper to have in the squad though you'd have to maybe question his ambition.

Still that's for him to decide.

I liken it to the Brian McClair situation at Utd in the 80s signed for big money had a good season or two then disappeared to the reserves. He Stayed their for 10 years or so.

A very talented Scottish International yet became a bit part player at Utd. Mind you he was well paid and maybe that was his motivation, Or maybe he didn't like getting kicked around every week.

Who knows why players choose these paths.

Delighted to have you on board again Danny.

23 minutes ago, Crazy Kop Corner said:

Easy Street - You would have thought that he'd want to be first choice with a lower Premier League or Championship team? 

Seagrave and a chance at European starts next season. 

Solid back-up, seems content playing second-fiddle to Kasper, and should see us through for a few years until KS retires and/or one of our many youngsters is ready to step up to the main squad. Fits in well with the squad and hasn't complained once, so if he's content and the club are happy with the cost (which evidently they are) then this can only be a good thing.

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

I liken it to the Brian McClair situation at Utd in the 80s signed for big money had a good season or two then disappeared to the reserves. He Stayed their for 10 years or so.

A very talented Scottish International yet became a bit part player at Utd. Mind you he was well paid and maybe that was his motivation, Or maybe he didn't like getting kicked around every week.

Who knows why players choose these paths.

McClair played almost 500 times for Man Utd!

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Ridiculous comment. Logan was 3rd or 4th choice keeper for 10 years. Ward is top class, international back up keeper who's never had a bad game for City. 

Good singing for the club. 

Whats his favourite song?

1 hour ago, Rain King said:

McClair played almost 500 times for Man Utd!

I doubt that's right.  he played 355 in total over 11 years and many of them were as a Sub.

I always thought he was a very good player and wondered why he stayed when he clearly could have been a first team starter elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I doubt that's right.  he played 355 in total over 11 years and many of them were as a Sub.

I always thought he was a very good player and wondered why he stayed when he clearly could have been a first team starter elsewhere.

Appearances and goals each season he was there including cup/Europe. Anyway, going off topic sorry!

Screenshot_20210415-141739_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Rain King

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

When you pay £12.5m for a back up keeper you don't let them leave for free, this means we have 4 years to try and recoup some dough for him, hopefully he does an Emi Martinez at some point.

that would require Kasper to miss several months injured