Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

I cannot believe what I’m reading on here tonight, and I’ve been a FT member for 13 years. How can so many of you want BR to get the sack? We were 9th when he took over. Just remember that. Yes we have issues. Find me a team that doesn’t. The fact of the matter is, we are a better team now than we ever have been. We are too soft at times, and we do lack leadership on the pitch, and we do need to sign some experienced winners. But these are all things that we will do with the money European football will bring, something we are only getting because of Brendan. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

we had the basis of some very good young players growing into a team. I think Puel was unfortunate and given more time might have cracked it tbh. Youri was the missing link and yes we've added since but who knows who Puel might have got given time. 

don't get me wrong I think I at the time thought he should go but there's no doubt he was building a really good team, BR has added castagne, Fofana, Perez and gotten rid of some of our dead wood, Puel may have been equally as good imo

The past few weeks have been very Puelesque ....  negative tactics and team selection, and slow starts.

The same tactics that seemed to say "I don't have confidence" from the manager that then passes to the players who's confidence seems to be shattered

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

The past few weeks have been very Puelesque ....  negative tactics and team selection, and slow starts.

The same tactics that seemed to say "I don't have confidence" from the manager that then passes to the players who's confidence seems to be shattered

I would say playing with ineffective wing backs has led to negative style of play and loss of confidence as our midfield gets bypassed, and with 2 at the back Maddison not doing what Maddison does best 

Guest Fktf
12 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

we had the basis of some very good young players growing into a team. I think Puel was unfortunate and given more time might have cracked it tbh. Youri was the missing link and yes we've added since but who knows who Puel might have got given time. 

don't get me wrong I think I at the time thought he should go but there's no doubt he was building a really good team, BR has added castagne, Fofana, Perez and gotten rid of some of our dead wood, Puel may have been equally as good imo

I liked puel in the transfer market, no argument there. But I can't ever imagine we'd have contested top 4 under him. We played too many games where we created a single decent chance on goal, which was only enough to draw a lot of games. That really was a case of the manager holding back the squad he had with an overly negative style.

Edited by Fktf

Just now, Jakemoore said:

I cannot believe what I’m reading on here tonight, and I’ve been a FT member for 13 years. How can so many of you want BR to get the sack? We were 9th when he took over. Just remember that. Yes we have issues. Find me a team that doesn’t. The fact of the matter is, we are a better team now than we ever have been. We are too soft at times, and we do lack leadership on the pitch, and we do need to sign some experienced winners. But these are all things that we will do with the money European football will bring, something we are only getting because of Brendan. 

Or perhaps these could have been addressed at the end of last season?

Don't get me wrong I don't want him out, but it's such deja vu. Who's in the dressing room firing them up? When was the last time we performed in a crunch game? Even the semi was masked by Southampton being even more rabbit-in-headlights than we were.

He now has to get these players fired up to win 3 of their last 4 games, but I've seen nothing to suggest that'll happen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bptiger said:

Well then this is what happens each and every season we run out of steam , that’s why the top 6 will always be the top six 

We finished 5th last season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

When you look back to the first half of last season we played with attacking intent and a swagger.  We have got more and more cautious in our approach, particularly of late but, paradoxically, it isn't helping us to be more solid at the back.  In fact, we seem far more vulnerable to quick counterattacks over the last few weeks.

I wish we could get back to starting bolder, and with more intent, concentrating on our own strengths and selecting players in their best position (and on form).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fktf said:

I liked puel in the transfer market, no argument there. But I can't ever imagine we'd have contested top 4 under him. We played too many games where we created a single decent chance on goal, which was only enough to draw a lot of games. That really was a case of the manager holding back the squad he had with ab overly negative style.

Yes he played 2 cdms against weak opposition at home, I remember, but he was trying to change our play style, I think his funds were limited and had to be patient with getting players in, when youri came in it was like the missing piece, he was sacked not long after that if I remember correct. 

the basis of this team is puels team, the spirit of the side was also there, I think it's k BR could see that and knew he Could work with talent we had 

He's got so much good about him but you really do feel he lacks that ruthless streak to get fully over the line. Saying "proud" in the interview tonight, seriously? What was there to be proud of? It was humiliation. It was eerily like Bournemouth.

I just can't shake the idea he's a nearly man.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

My opinion is BR got it very wrong tonight, and against Southampton, that stubbornness seems to be a huge fault of his. 

I don't think he should have dropped madders against West ham either, but I don't want him sacked. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's got so much good about him but you really do feel he lacks that ruthless streak to get fully over the line. Saying "proud" in the interview tonight, seriously? What was there to be proud of? It was humiliation. It was eerily like Bournemouth.

He wants better than us at some point. Games like tonight won't be accepted. Liverpool had some absolute shockers in his final season and hastened his departure.

He's competing for other roles against some top class candidates. Another failure to capitalise on an excellent position will not look good, despite the work in getting us close.

You can't be a nearly man at a top club.

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think that was his way of saying he got it wrong without actually saying it. 

I think the mistakes were his to own tonight, not the players 

That back three was ****ing bonkers. I just can't fathom the fascination. It doesn't really 'fit' his style of football and he persists with it even when you lose your one experienced, commanding defender. A back three of Soyuncu, Fofana and Castagne was a recipe for total disaster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corky said:

He wants better than us at some point. Games like tonight won't be accepted. Liverpool had some absolute shockers in his final season and hastened his departure.

He's competing for other roles against some top class candidates. Another failure to capitalise on an excellent position will not look good, despite the work in getting us close.

You can't be a nearly man at a top club.

He won't get better than us if he doesn't get nights like tonight out of his system. He's raised the level of us which is the important thing to remember, but I just feel you're never far from a total car crash like tonight.

Just now, splinterdream said:

I think that was his way of saying he got it wrong without actually saying it. 

I think the mistakes were his to own tonight, not the players 

Maybe, I think both he and the players were to blame tonight, just another one like that Bournemouth game where virtually nobody comes out of it with their head held high. Soyuncu and Fofana were horrendous.

Guest Fktf
6 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Yes he played 2 cdms against weak opposition at home, I remember, but he was trying to change our play style, I think his funds were limited and had to be patient with getting players in, when youri came in it was like the missing piece, he was sacked not long after that if I remember correct. 

the basis of this team is puels team, the spirit of the side was also there, I think it's k BR could see that and knew he Could work with talent we had 

You're coming round to my way of thinking. Not any manager could get this team challenging for the top 4, but BR looked at it and thought he could, and has proven it since.

1 minute ago, Fktf said:

You're coming round to my way of thinking. Not any manager could get this team challenging for the top 4, but BR looked at it and thought he could, and has proven it since.

You missed my point, the problems we had was the link between midfield and attack. He brought in Youri and got sacked not long after. 

perhaps Puel was not planning to play that way permantly but playing with the team he had. 

his job was to get away from us being a team that plays on the break and become a more possession based side, it was a huge task that first cost Claude his job then Puel 

11 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

He won't get better than us if he doesn't get nights like tonight out of his system. He's raised the level of us which is the important thing to remember, but I just feel you're never far from a total car crash like tonight.

Maybe, I think both he and the players were to blame tonight, just another one like that Bournemouth game where virtually nobody comes out of it with their head held high. Soyuncu and Fofana were horrendous.

You mess with a settled defense at your peril, when Evans went out, we should have played with full backs and kept it simple imo. 

don't concede in the first half and see where we are in the second 

Guest Fktf

You missed my point, the problems we had was the link between midfield and attack. He brought in Youri and got sacked not long after. 

perhaps Puel was not planning to play that way permantly but playing with the team he had. 

his job was to get away from us being a team that plays on the break and become a more possession based side, it was a huge task that first cost Claude his job then Puel 

This all started with me saying I can't think of anyone that would get more out of this squad than BR. Is your point that Puel would have done, eventually?

2 minutes ago, Fktf said:

This all started with me saying I can't think of anyone that would get more out of this squad than BR. Is your point that Puel would have done, eventually?

I think he would, as would a number of other managers, but that's just an opinion, but BR has got us to where he has and I'm greatful but, and I'm just a fan, he sometimes leaves me baffled with his decisions. 

Edited by splinterdream

Guest Fktf

I think he would, as would a number of other managers, but that's just an opinion, but BR has got us to where he has and I'm greatful but, and I'm not a fan, he sometimes leaves me baffled with his decisions. 

Fair enough. I can't see anything in the cautious football, lack of buy in from the players and fans, from the Puel era that would suggest we would ever challenge the top 4 with him in charge, but I guess we'll never know for sure.

17 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

You mess with a settled defense at your peril, when Evans went out, we should have played with full backs and kept it simple imo. 

don't concede in the first half and see where we are in the second 

Replacing your one experienced, commanding centre half of three with a wing back was utterly bonkers, against a team who were always likely to try and hit us the way they did.

Needs must. Terrible selection.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

The problem isn't just that Rodgers isn't quite good enough, but that he thinks he's much better than he actually is.

It's more his buddies in the media who think he's some sort of elite manager. He's a good coach clearly but he's very far behind the top managers in this league. 

• Like 1