Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

I've still got no idea about the 15 minutes between taking Ndidi off at 2-0 and bringing on Mendy at 4-0.

Does the third goal happen if we've got a DM in there rather than whatever shape we decided on whilst the game theoretically was still alive?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ricey said:

If we bottle it two seasons on the trot, they will mean that Rodgers has bottled his last three full seasons in the Premier League, including Liverpool.

He’s a brilliant manager but you have to question whether he has the persona or managerial style to motivate and focus a group of players during the business end to the season.

Maybe in the summer it will suit both parties to go our separate ways? I just don’t see how he picks up this group of players after two consecutive almighty collapses right at the finish. Their heads are going to be shot to bits.

Couldn't agree more with this. Better getting money for him than having to sack him if next season goes south.

I will never understand why when the 1st half is like that they come out for the 2nd half and nothing has changed and he then waits another 15 minutes to make a sub? He then makes 2 defensive subs????? 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Make a change Brendan!

Guest ttfn
9 minutes ago, Corky said:

I've still got no idea about the 15 minutes between taking Ndidi off at 2-0 and bringing on Mendy at 4-0.

Does the third goal happen if we've got a DM in there rather than whatever shape we decided on whilst the game theoretically was still alive?

It was the sort of substitution a 12 year old makes on Football Manager. Completely abandoned all sense of structure to the team just to get more attacking players on the pitch.

I think this is what is worrying me more than anything, it’s the fact that he happily advertised himself as a kind of philosophical zealot but when push comes to shove we see bizarre decisions that don’t seem to correlate at all with how he wants us to play as a team. Last season it was initially the incessant crossing into the box when we ran out of ideas after lockdown followed by pumping long balls towards George Hirst when we were chasing the game at Spurs and against Man United. This season it’s 90 minutes of Maddison shooting from long range against Southampton and an innovative 5-1-4 formation against Newcastle. 

Controversial view but.....at 70 mins we were losing that game. No way were we going to get anything. I would have taken Kel off and saved him. He's the only goal threat in the team at the moment. Effectively 4 finals coming up. The guy hasn't started this many games consecutively in a very long time.

What if he pulled up? It would have been an even bigger shit show if a night. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ricey said:

If we bottle it two seasons on the trot, that will mean that Rodgers has bottled his last three full seasons in the Premier League, including Liverpool. Pretty big bottle jobs as well.

He’s a brilliant manager but you have to question whether he has the persona or managerial style to motivate and focus a group of players during the business end of the season.

Maybe in the summer it will suit both parties to go our separate ways? I just don’t see how he picks up this group of players after two consecutive almighty collapses right at the finish. Their heads are going to be shot to bits.

You can argue that whenever he faced a challenge at Celtic with the European fixtures it was a similar story. 

He’s been 95% superb for us but that last 5% is incredibly annoying 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Because we barely got back in to games with Puel and showed very little beyond the starts anyway. 

Puel regressed us. At least Rodgers has taken us forward despite several setbacks. 

The two aren't comparable really. 

We're certainly in a much healthier league position and in a cup final but, has he really progressed us as a team that much? It sounds an odd thing to ask when you're still 3rd surely? Or could it partly be due to the fact that he has a far better crop of players at his disposal than Puel.

Clearly Rodgers is a far better man manager and renowned as a very good coach but ... ignoring the players natural ability on the pitch, which at times appears stifled, what tactics, teams selections and system of play has Rodgers really brought to the party? Possession football? We had that before and its now almost as ponderous, dull and ineffective as it was under Puel but with better players who show glimpses of extreme talent but often without an outlet for it. When, at the start of both seasons, the players have pressed and played with pace, natural flair and ability, it's as if Rodgers goes on a mission to kick it out of them because it doesn't fit his kind of philosophy despite the winning! Yes, we have had some horrendous injuries and with Liverpool, possibly the most in the league but we also, despite some people's whinings had a relatively decent squad of players to cope with it. But now, we're arguably only 2 players short. So why the constant playing of players out of their natural best positions? Yesterday was a prime example, Castagne, Ricardo, Soyuncu, Albrighton? One player out of position at  this level might have an effect but 4 is pushing the boat out. Was there a real need for that or were there viable alternatives? Was it merely done to slavishly follow a system? Were the substitutions he made logical or another sign of a vivid imagination coupled with overthinkinking? Did we not look better when at the end when the players seemingly said bollocks to any system, let's just have a proper go at them. For me there's far far too much professorial type overthinking going on with an egotistical wish to be known for a philosophy or style of play regardless of what's best for the team. Rodgers is a very decent man with some magical qualities mixed with some huge flaws. Elite manager he certainly isn't but then that accolade is reserved for very few in fairness. It doesn't help that he's a media darling and gets away with a lot because as we saw when we won the Premiership, they hate to be proved wrong. So for the media, the problem in this case will always be down to the players, injury and form and never how they're actually being employed. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

If we don't get Champions League then we won't be anywhere near it next season. All our expansion plans for the squad and hopes of keeping our so called 'best' players will be in tatters. That will be a mix of simply not achieving the finances to do it, but also players losing interest. How does Brendan survive that that the second year running? I genuinely don't know if its possible, no matter how well he's done here. 

Again as I said last night failure to finish top 4 is on the management and players combined though. It’s up to them as a collective and no one else.

Now it’s alright for them, they’ll try and engineer moves, swan off to a new club but you’ll have failed here.

You have to question if people in the game see it this way. An attitude of ‘Oh well, what does it matter, if I can get a move out of here I’ll get what I’m striving for at another club’.

• Like 1

If Spurs are waiting to see if we miss out on the top four before making a move for Brendan then a possible scenario is developing. We miss out on top four, Spurs late run takes them into fourth, Brendan leaves for Spurs and gets Champions League and we only get Europa if we’re lucky. He wins, we lose.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, andy peake said:

If Spurs are waiting to see if we miss out on the top four before making a move for Brendan then a possible scenario is developing. We miss out on top four, Spurs late run takes them into fourth, Brendan leaves for Spurs and gets Champions League and we only get Europa if we’re lucky. He wins, we lose.

He’ll have technically done what he set out to achieve in that scenario by getting Champions League football for his club, his new club. 

:brendan:

Edited by Matt

The next week is crucial , for the fans the FACup would be a great prize , for the club and the future the

Champions League is essential

it has been there to lose two seasons in a row and I feel if Rodgers falls short this season then it might

Be worth taking the compensation and using that to bring in a top flight manager from Europe.

He seems to have lost the players, has obvious issues with the likes of Praet and Under and a new

man in could be the answer

This week will tell us alot

Unpopular opinion but I would of brought Under on in the second half. We needed width and something different. Not Perez coming on and offering the same role as Maddison. Have to agree that there doesn’t seem to ever be a plan b when it’s not going for us. These next couple of weeks will define Rodgers here. Unfortunately I’m not very confident. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

If it goes Pete Tong again I'd seriously consider cashing in on him and getting a serious manager from Europe while our stock is high. Someone who could instill some mentality into these would be invaluable.

...surely  far too much cost for us to pay him off!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

He should've changed formation after 5 minutes yesterday

And 12 the previous friday

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...surely  far too much cost for us to pay him off!!!

the assumption is that a new club effectively takes on his contract with higher remuneration so he is happy to cancel ours. and we get comp on top 

17 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Tottenham would take him tomorrow. Get a few million in and think about bringing a winner in .

LOL, no.  If Tottenham make the CL they'll be certain they can do better, and if they don't Rodgers probably wouldn't make the move.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

You can tell what kind of game it's gonna be with us in the first 15 minutes of games. I'd love to know what he says before he sends them out 

Something about character, then claps a lot 

He's not going to be here forever. We shouldn't fear losing him because he's brilliant or because he's struggling.

I don't want him to go as generally he's done a fine job but the club pushed the boat out to get him and now pay him an absolute fortune. With that comes pressure and expectation whether you're an elite club or not.

Defeats and setbacks happen- we've actually done remarkably well not to have a long winless or losing run this season- but some matches have that feel of a watershed moment. There was simply no excuse for the display last night.

When there is question marks about your mentality and your steel, just don't confirm them, lads. Rodgers' decisions were baffling throughout.