Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, 5waller5 said:

I think that when Vards was our best player and banging in goals, he felt able to lead / motivate / b*llock .... without those goals (and with such a minimal contribution now) he probably doesn't feel he has the right to be hauling anyone over the coals

....we needed one last season....but no one could stop the slide, not even Vardy!!!

We need a midfield enforcer and Ndidi, Tielemans and Soumare is the three in midfield we need to build the team around.

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

He's got a good gig here. He's definitely comfortable.

The players get absolutely slaughtered on here. Maddison, Perez etc.get destroyed after bad performances but Rodgers  not as much. If Arsenal or Spurs lose 2-4, 0-3, 0-2 and 1-3 to bottom half fodder, their manager would be heavily scrutinised by the media  - as Arteta and Mourinho have. Rodgers get away scott free with these abysmal displays.

There seems to be a general perception among the media and a lot of fans (which Rodgers seems to share) that he's too good for us and we're lucky to have him.  It insulates him when he has his annual late-season collapses and baffling personnel decisions. 

• Thanks 1

352 stifles creativity. What's the logic in deploying an anti-creativity formation against bottom half bus parking crap like Palace, Southampton and Newcastle? Is he preparing for the cup final against Chelsea? Is Barnes so important that without him we need to ditch the 433/4231? Is Rodgers planning to go 352 for good? 

Edited by Koke
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Koke said:

352 stifles creativity. What's the logic in deploying an anti-creativity formation against bottom half bus parking crap like Palace, Southampton and Newcastle? Is he preparing for the cup final against Chelsea? Is Barnes so important that without him we need to ditch the 43e/4231? Is Rodgers planning to go 352 for good? 

......no chance!!!

Barnes coming back will dictate we go back to a back four, we get the Right Winger and we will have the variety we need to combat any situation we meet. The Liverpool formation is what I believe Rodgers is striving for and the use of 3-5-2 will be a thing of the past, unless we need sit deep against teams like Man. City, with the discipline to defend, set traps and counter. The problem with Pep is he believes he is right and sticks to his way of playing and need £500m to build a team.

17 minutes ago, Unique FC said:

When you lose a 10 point lead with 8 games to go, once it is bad. For it to happen on 2 occasions is unforgivable. A third time for Brendan, there is something seriously wrong. You can not continue to lose great points advantages on 3 occasions. Already cost him title with Liverpool, 1 champions league with ourselves and maybe for a second time. 

He is a good coach to a certain level, then end of the season something starts to go wrong and he does not know how to fix it.

As I've said before, he seems to have no ability to change momentum.  That's fine when things are going well, but these repeated late-season chokes are not a coincidence.  He has neither the strategic acumen or the leadership skills to right the ship when the pressure gets intense and things start to go badly.

• Like 3

Rodgers has always said his job here is to break into the top 6, which he did last season and should do this season. But we have been in a position for those 2 seasons where we should have finished in the champions league places.

Maybe Rodgers has taken us as far as he is capable of doing but the problem we have got is, if we were to get rid of him would we realistically be able to recruit anyone who can take us to the next level ? Eg, champions league qualification and winning cup competitions.

Another thing that concerns me is that the only time we have played well in recent weeks was the 1st half against WBA and according to some on here he gave the players a bollocking at half time because he wasn’t happy with it. 

4 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I just find it strange that for you, the sloppy Soyuncu challenge that nearly gave away a penalty was than followed by a daft Fofana challenge which gave away a dangerous free kick in the opening 20 mins, is the managers fault not the players. Add to that the lack of leadership and intelligent play that you would expect from professional players, is again, the manager not the players. Not to mention the basic lack of desire. 

It was the negative formation that meant Soy faffed around for the first goal or the lack of physicality that meant Dummett rose up like ****ing Cannavaro to head in the second. 

Criticise the manager, fine but don’t try and fool me we are watching the reincarnation of Johan Cruyffs Barcelona and these poor players are being held back simply because of an inept manager. They were cowards today, not one of them put their foot on the ball and led. Not one of them did the basics like, I don’t know, pass the ball five yards, well. 

These sort of performances are not solely down to the manager and his tactics. The players played a very big part in this collapse. In this cowardice we witnessed today. Sorry, it’s daft to think otherwise, they (the players) didn’t show up. 

Of all the responses on here… this is the one that sums it up. Well said 

39 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

Rodgers still hasn't solved the conumdrum of teams sitting back over powering us and hitting us on the break!  Until he sorts this out we will be a nearly team with a nearly manager. 

I wouldn't say this was the case last night though, credit to Newcastle they attacked us and were open.

I think we played like we expected them to sit back but they didn't and that's where you have to question nothing else but mentality and mindset. To not change the approach is criminal.

So I keep reading this "Rodgers' teams always finished strong" and "Rodgers' teams get better as the season goes on" i'm yet to remember or see this anywhere throughout his career (I'm not sure what he did or didn't do to Watford, Reading or Swansea tbf) but I call bullshit, it's a myth. He finished poor at Liverpool, he was in a one team league for a large part of his Celtic tenure and he's finishing poor twice in a row here.

I'm wondering if it's a case of he panics to get over the line therefore plays this negative, possession based, playing out from the back nonsense in order of trying not to lose rather than going out to win - always a bad mindset to have and usually leads to losing.

He always playing a possession based style but generally this season we've moved on leaps and bounds to what we did last season - its actually been positive - forwards, exciting and entertaining but we're creeping back to the negative side of this style in the last few weeks as we did for a large part of the second half of last season.

Edited by Matt

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

I wouldn't say this was the case last night though, credit to Newcastle they attacked us and were open.

I think we played like we expected them to sit back but they didn't.

Castagne said match  that we had been working on way to counter the low block 

can only assume that was very dependant on Ricky being right back because that’s the only way I can understand why you don’t swap him to LWB a when we rearrange the back line pre game.  And once it was clear that they weren’t coming to defend deep with a low block, we should have just changed it then, not limped to half time. Two Friday nights running, the coaching staff have failed to do stuff in the first half to sort the issues out as the game panned out (play the game in front of you not the one you expected)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

Rodgers has always said his job here is to break into the top 6, which he did last season and should do this season. But we have been in a position for those 2 seasons where we should have finished in the champions league places.

Maybe Rodgers has taken us as far as he is capable of doing but the problem we have got is, if we were to get rid of him would we realistically be able to recruit anyone who can take us to the next level ? Eg, champions league qualification and winning cup competitions.

Another thing that concerns me is that the only time we have played well in recent weeks was the 1st half against WBA and according to some on here he gave the players a bollocking at half time because he wasn’t happy with it. 

...we would go for Gasperini!!!

Would continue the style and could just take us where we want to go.

We have a very good roster, we play some great football when we have the freedom of expectation taken away from us and we thrive in that situation. We however are mentally weak and indecisive actions from the touchline does not alleviate the uncertainty that manifest itself when we are under pressure. 

Perhaps Gasperini might just be the calming influence on this squad when everything is looking lost and our confidence has crumbled.

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we would go for Gasperini!!!

Would continue the style and could just take us where we want to go.

We have a very good roster, we play some great football when we have the freedom of expectation taken away from us and we thrive in that situation. We however are mentally weak and indecisive actions from the touchline does not alleviate the uncertainty that manifest itself when we are under pressure. 

Perhaps Gasperini might just be the calming influence on this squad when everything is looking lost and our confidence has crumbled.

Doesn’t he play 352?  lol

1 hour ago, Le Renard said:

Rodgers still hasn't solved the conumdrum of teams sitting back over powering us and hitting us on the break!  Until he sorts this out we will be a nearly team with a nearly manager. 

In fairness, many teams struggle with this. When you concede the first goal (let alone the first 4 goals) its going to make it harder as there is no incentive for the opposition to come out. 

I’m not saying this to you Le Renard, but I think what people need to realise is that the opposition will set themselves up to beat us. They’re not gonna come out and leave loads of space as that plays into our hands. We have shown that we can beat teams who sit in, equally we have shown that we can still play that way ourselves (e.g. Man City A). Last night just had too many individual mistakes for us to have a chance. 

5 minutes ago, adam95581 said:

In fairness, many teams struggle with this. When you concede the first goal (let alone the first 4 goals) its going to make it harder as there is no incentive for the opposition to come out. 

I’m not saying this to you Le Renard, but I think what people need to realise is that the opposition will set themselves up to beat us. They’re not gonna come out and leave loads of space as that plays into our hands. We have shown that we can beat teams who sit in, equally we have shown that we can still play that way ourselves (e.g. Man City A). Last night just had too many individual mistakes for us to have a chance. 

But they didn’t really play like that in the first half. They scored and then continued to play with aggression and tried to get forward.  It was an open game in that first half. It’s just that we had set out to play against a low block and then didn’t correct that stance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We have played some great football this season but as we get tired the pace has gone and we look predictable. You just know when we play a decent counter attacking side at hone such as Leeds West Ham and even the likes of Newcastle and Fulham that we are going to have problems. I would just like to see signs that we can learn and adapt. Brendan needs to keep the messages simple and not over think the task as the players look mentally exhausted