Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Rodgers made some poor calls in that games. The N'didi one was particularly baffling.

But even so, I'm not sure an Alex Ferguson/Brian Clough hybrid could have got anything from the players today. Even 5 yard basic passes were abysmal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shailen said:

If you watched the game tonight, Pep wouldn't have won us the game. What can any manager do when the team played with no intensity, couldn't make a pass to a player within 3 yards and played in one gear all game. 

Exactly.

We played very poorly especially at the back.

Might go to show how important Evans is to the team, when you lose the leader and organiser at the back. Little Wes has been fantastic and I'm a huge fan, but I think his inexperience showed a bit tonight, and Cags looked as lost as he against Bournemouth. Think he needs a calm head next to him to be at his best.

9 minutes ago, Corky said:

I've got no idea where that came from tonight. The baffling decision to take off Ndidi at 2-0 and leave us totally exposed in the middle then bring Mendy on much later was hilariously strange.

We've had a number of howlsrs like tonight. I'm not surprised and I'm not angry. This team is talented but with a questionable mentality + the manager overthinks things. We've labelled all kinds things at Spurs for years. It's time we eat some humble pie.

Edited by Koke

Over the course of a season, we'd be unlikely to finish any higher with any other attainable manager. There's no way I'd want to lose him, the potential downside is far greater than the upside.

That he has a history of throwing away good positions at the business end of the season is unfortunate, but that's not solely what he should be judged on.

6 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

He can rightly take some blame for the lack of changes when down tonight but we have still done well this season. Champions league is slipping away again but anything can happen. Miracles do happen.

If we win the fa cup and dont make champs league i think most would still be happy abouy a successful season.

Win the F A Cup ! Good luck with that 🙄

Some of the stuff in here is ridiculous. 

I do think Brendan made a mistake by dropping Thomas for Riccardo at LWB before Evans injury and the Albrighton thing at LBW was double weird, but todays performance was down to some woeful individually performances and not just the manager. They were up for it, we weren't. We only seemed to look energised at 0-4 and that isnt down to Rodgers.

Caglar had his worst game ever for us. That Cruyff turn that led to the first goal was a Meme moment. Ndidi was strolling around, Tieleman looked fudged and Maddison has this weird thing even when fit that he doesnt seem to have enough muscle in his legs to pass on shoot when some power is needed!! So weird to see.

A 5/10 for Brendan, 2/10 from the troops he put out to battle.

• Like 1

Just now, Unabomber said:

Yeah I agree. He isn’t elite by any stretch yet. These idiots wanting him gone and saying the squad would be higher under a different manager, exactly which manager is this? 

An imaginary one I presume. 

He's a very very good manager. Probably just under the elite bracket. We aren't going to get an elite manager so would be silly to get rid.  

Although I'd take a third stint of our Lord and saviour Sir Nigel Pearson. Love him.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I mean that is his job, players take blame also but Rodgers had an absolute mare tonight and it serves nobody saying otherwise 

He gets some of the blame too absolutely, but its the players that take the stick today imo. We lost today because the players were shit. If they can't make three yard passes then how could Rodgers have done anything differently? 

Formations, personnel put that down to Rodgers but attitude was shite from the lads today. 

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Imagine not being annoyed if we lost the manager who even got us into a position to fight for champions league football ffs

We won the league without him, he isn't all that. He's overrated, he's arrogant and we can do better. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shailen said:

He gets some of the blame too absolutely, but its the players that take the stick today imo. We lost today because the players were shit. If they can't make three yard passes then how could Rodgers have done anything differently? 

Formations, personnel put that down to Rodgers but attitude was shite from the lads today. 

As Brian Clough once said..."Tactics and formations don't win you games - players do"

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ARTY_FOX said:

An imaginary one I presume. 

He's a very very good manager. Probably just under the elite bracket. We aren't going to get an elite manager so would be silly to get rid.  

Although I'd take a third stint of our Lord and saviour Sir Nigel Pearson. Love him.  

Yeah it goes without saying every leicester fan would welcome Nigel back. Think Bristol city would be asking for too much though 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FantasticMrFox&Son said:

Can't believe some of the comments on here tonight.

1st goal, Cags to blame.

2nd goal, poor defending at a corner, Kasper not coming.

3rd goal, Kasper should have been in position to clear it, SWEEPER KEEPER, not rooted to his goal line when the long ball was played.

Agreed that the manager made some strange calls, but the players own this sh*t show.

Jesus. Some people will blame anything on Kasper. Second one is awful from Fofana. Third one, how the f*** is Wilson one on one like that?

Not saying he couldn't have potentially done more but he wasn't the root of the problem was he?

11 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

I get that, no offence taken. I obviously won't take it as badly tonight as most of you but trust me I know what failure feels like as a football fan, this season of all seasons.

Rodgers could have done things differently tonight, particularly in the second-half when a reaction was required but even if he made the correct moves when people like Soyuncu performed the way they did and made the basic mistakes they made I'm not sure what difference it would have made. The most disappointing thing for me tonight was the lack of urgency and desire, no matter the personnel or system that should never be an issue, especially given whats at stake and on that front the players need to have a long hard look at themselves.

Sure, the players deserve their share of the blame, but the managers job doesn't start when the game does - he's also responsible for preparing them mentally.

Can you imagine a Sean Dyche side collapsing like that if he had these players at his disposal?

Edited by Buce

Just now, shailen said:

It is Rodgers' job to instill that mentality though and this isn't the first time it's happened either, why do they continue to dip when the going gets tough and this has happened elsewhere at Liverpool for example, the players aren't blameless but this is a trait that has followed Rodgers throughout his career and it's clearly linked to his coaching in high pressure moments. I mean the setup today half of them didn't even know what they were doing it seems like, but I'm not excusing the players either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FantasticMrFox&Son said:

Can't believe some of the comments on here tonight.

1st goal, Cags to blame.

2nd goal, poor defending at a corner, Kasper not coming.

3rd goal, Kasper should have been in position to clear it, SWEEPER KEEPER, not rooted to his goal line when the long ball was played.

Agreed that the manager made some strange calls, but the players own this sh*t show.

He has his part to play in:

Maddison playing most of the game. 

Not changing the formation sooner.

Needing goals and 2 of the subs being defensive players with little goal threat. 

Moving castagne from the position he has looked dangerous in for no reason whatsoever. 

Bottling it again at the exact same point as last season. 

Oh and still being shit at set plays at both ends for his whole time here. 

Edited by Eskay
Point added
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Anyone wanting a manager gone that has you in a cup final and going for top 4 is truly insane. 

Chelsea got rid of Lampard after taking them to an FA Cup final, they saw he wasn't good enough and got rid, we need to be brave. Give him the final but if he loses that and bottles the top 4 again then he needs to go, he's destroying this club.  

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, foxes4life said:

We won the league without him, he isn't all that. He's overrated, he's arrogant and we can do better. 

Probably the worst post I have ever seen on FT. Using a once in a lifetime event in our clubs history to try and downplay the good work Rodgers has actually done with the club.

Come on then, bring out the suggestions of who could do better? Atleast try and be realistic.

• Like 4

Guest SO1
14 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

The same folk may look at us as the club that's about to blow 2 Champions League qualification 2 seasons in a row.

We already blew this year?

Chelsea got rid of Lampard after taking them to an FA Cup final, they saw he wasn't good enough and got rid, we need to be brave. Give him the final but if he loses that and bottles the top 4 again then he needs to go, he's destroying this club.  

You seriously aren’t comparing us to Chelsea, they spent like nearly 300m in the summer on their team ... 

He has his faults but he's not destroying the club is he. Totally stupid notion.