Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

There is too much hype on here , we beat West Brom and some go wildly on about how some of our players are world class and when we get a reality check like last night , the disappointment spills over in overreaction. It has been obvious for ages that Jonny's massive experience is vital to organise and get the best out of our young defenders .Looking back Fuchs would have been a better stand in. The real problem is the lack of penetration of our attack , if we had scored first we probably would have won . Unlike in the great escape season , we are poor at rearguard action. Our attack needs a lot of attention and if we don't sort this out we will have more nights like this one.

6 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

There is too much hype on here , we beat West Brom and some go wildly on about how some of our players are world class and when we get a reality check like last night , the disappointment spills over in overreaction. It has been obvious for ages that Jonny's massive experience is vital to organise and get the best out of our young defenders .Looking back Fuchs would have been a better stand in. The real problem is the lack of penetration of our attack , if we had scored first we probably would have won . Unlike in the great escape season , we are poor at rearguard action. Our attack needs a lot of attention and if we don't sort this out we will have more nights like this one.

No, no, just impressed with it, it was positive performance.

Seemingly too positive for Rodgers and his demeanor during the 1st half of that game.

Certainly so and the only explanation I can come up with compared to last night where he was "proud" and last week where he seemed to have no issues either.

Edited by Matt

1 minute ago, Rigga said:

8 of the last 10 games we have conceded first... what does that tell us about our mentality and approach to games... Manager and players to blame for that... And it’s costing us big time..

same approach at the end of last season cost us...it’s happening again

This is another issue I’ve got with him we nearly always start games slowly, never look fired up. He has to take some responsibility for that.

The only time recently that we did make a positive start was WBA but he didn’t seem happy with that. Too positive for him maybe ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lcfc82 said:

This is another issue I’ve got with him we nearly always start games slowly, never look fired up. He has to take some responsibility for that.

The only time recently that we did make a positive start was WBA but he didn’t seem happy with that. Too positive for him maybe ?

Same thing under Puel and he was mercilessly abused for it, I was one of them! Rodgers has a way of playing, likes possession but something isn't getting through to the players. We start slowly, look ponderous and don't appear to have a plan to change it. 

• Like 2

Over the season there has been a problem playing at home. Only the bottom three and Everton are worse and 10;defeats

in league and cup competitions spells a huge issue.Rodgers is too cautious and it is costing and again will probably

result in failing to qualify for the Champions League when it appeared nailed on.All the rumours of him leaving the Covid party

fiasco have not assisted but something needs to change

1 minute ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Same thing under Puel and he was mercilessly abused for it, I was one of them! Rodgers has a way of playing, likes possession but something isn't getting through to the players. We start slowly, look ponderous and don't appear to have a plan to change it. 

Because we barely got back in to games with Puel and showed very little beyond the starts anyway. 

Puel regressed us. At least Rodgers has taken us forward despite several setbacks. 

The two aren't comparable really. 

• Like 1

Have always  said that at times it is a Puel like approach to games..

been some absolutely dreadful team performances... but it’s usually when it matters most... if this lot can not raise there game when sitting pretty on a CL spot something is seriously wrong..

we’re playing like these games are dead rubbers... 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, adam95581 said:

In fairness, many teams struggle with this. When you concede the first goal (let alone the first 4 goals) its going to make it harder as there is no incentive for the opposition to come out. 

I’m not saying this to you Le Renard, but I think what people need to realise is that the opposition will set themselves up to beat us. They’re not gonna come out and leave loads of space as that plays into our hands. We have shown that we can beat teams who sit in, equally we have shown that we can still play that way ourselves (e.g. Man City A). Last night just had too many individual mistakes for us to have a chance. 

I agree with you, Newcastle, Fulham, Leeds, West ham at home had a game plan to win, but this doesn't alter the fact that our team can be very poor against sides that have a low block, but break with pace.  We have fallen into this trap too many times over this season.  Maybe the start was last season against Norwich at home, this seems to have given a blue print to play against a Rodgers side.  Rodgers has alluded to finding a solution to this,and it is up to him to find them.  He is a good manager and he's been paid a shed load of cash to fix it!   I don't want miracles, but it has to be better than last night if we are to deserve a top 4 place!

Edited by Le Renard
  • Like 1

Very disappointed in our approach these last two games it’s as if we need to go down a goal to get playing, there was no excuses last night players weren’t fatigued we just had no fight or “intensity” on and off the ball barring one or two players.

Don’t the players realise it’s crunch time now? Rodgers mentioned last night it was youth and naivety but I am sorry that’s just an excuse if lessons aren’t learnt from last season then what the f**k honestly are they doing?

10 hours ago, splinterdream said:

I think you're right but he messed up but I'd be building the formation around Maddison not dropping him. Madders isnt going to get into form from the bench. 

we shouldn't have played castagne as a CH

we shouldn't have played Ricardo as wing back, he's clearly unfit. 

when Evans got injured we shod have played 2 banks of 4 and made sure we didn't concede first half and played with vardy and madders or nacho and madders. 

Fine - he just has to put his hands up - we would respect him more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....we needed one last season....but no one could stop the slide, not even Vardy!!!

We need a midfield enforcer and Ndidi, Tielemans and Soumare is the three in midfield we need to build the team around.

Even Ndidi's performances have slipped over the last few games.  He has the sole responsibility for snuffing out attacks and winning the ball, with limited help from Tielemans virtually none from Maddison.  Is it starting to wear him down?

There's a case for doing something to reduce that strain on him by placing more importance on strengthening the midfield so that we can dominate possession (instead of being harassed as soon as we get the ball) and control the pace of the game.

Within our current ranks the obvious solution is to bolster the midfield with Praet. He has been criticised on here for not having an obvious defined role, but his flexibility is actually an asset in this situation as he can both add strength and energy to our midfield as well as support attacks.

If we persist with 5 across the back then that implies just Iheanacho and Vardy up front - but that's no bad thing as long as we can expect ocasional wide support from our wing backs. If we revert to 4 along the back then Perez or Maddison adds to the attack which, in the former case, opens up the possibility of interweaving between the front 3 (to compensate to some extent for the lack of width).

Of course, on current form we would have Castagne at RB (and Thomas at LB - that gives us far better balance) which would have the added advantage of having our 3 Belgians playing closely together.

• Like 1

Guest ttfn
26 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Because we barely got back in to games with Puel and showed very little beyond the starts anyway. 

Puel regressed us. At least Rodgers has taken us forward despite several setbacks. 

The two aren't comparable really. 

Puel did not regress us, I’d have thought that would be obvious to anybody who saw the football we were playing at the back end of Ranieri’s reign and in the last 10-15 games under Shakespeare.

How much he progressed us is certainly open to debate (and not comparable to the huge strides made under Rodgers) but claiming we regressed under him isn’t a fair or reasonable statement. 

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I wish he would stop blaming ‘young’ players 

it’s a lame excuse now 

only Thomas and fofana can use it 

the rest of them have been playing first team football for a long time and mainly at a v high level  

Bland excuses for public consumption is all you should expect - to give anything more than that indicates a bigger problem behind the scenes. 

And it should be remembered - what is said publicly isn’t necessarily what is said behind closed doors.

Quite often when a side has problems they’re really easily identified. At home under Rodgers, we’re almost inexplicably bad. Even when we’ve had a squad at close to full fitness - we’ve put in turgid, complacent performances.

The slightest bit of pressure and we’re liable to losing against worse teams. Villa in the league cup last season was a warning.

We’re a fair weather team, Maddison flourishes when everybody else is playing well. Tielemans either controls a game or is a passenger, there’s no in between. They’re supposed to be our creative outlets and they come unstuck too easily 

• Like 1

Our home form this season has been terrible. I hope he has a plan to rectify it next season. Look at the team we've lost st home to, not just lost at times but absolutely battered.

Fulham

West Ham 

Leeds

Aston Villa 

Arsenal

Newcastle

Slavia Prague 

16 minutes ago, NeilLCFC said:

Sometimes I need to stay away from this place, so I missed the bit about him having ago at the players after the 1st half v West Brom?!

Would anyone mind telling me what’s meant to have happened?

Don't get me wrong, it's Stringer and alot of people claim he loves to make something bigger than it is, but it was clear to see when cameras went on Rodgers during that first half he was visibly pissed off and pretty much seething about something.

Think he spoke about his frustration (About what I do not know or didn't understand) in his interview after that game aswell.

Far from his "proud" comments after last nights shitshow.

Edited by Matt
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Koke said:

He's got a good gig here. He's definitely comfortable.

The players get absolutely slaughtered on here. Maddison, Perez etc.get destroyed after bad performances but Rodgers  not as much. If Arsenal or Spurs lose 2-4, 0-3, 0-2 and 1-3 to bottom half fodder, their manager would be heavily scrutinised by the media  - as Arteta and Mourinho have. Rodgers get away scott free with these abysmal displays.

And, if you take out the names and histories of the clubs, he has a better squad than Arteta with a better set-up.

The alarming way we roll over in certain games is not good enough.

• Like 1

Rodgers is a strange person, if he gives you the cold shoulder, you never play regardless of the situation. Fuchs has never let us down playing as a CB, but when Caglar had his Covid diagnosis, he moved Fofana there and he looked awful. Praet played well for Belgium and i though he'd have a role late in the season. Absolutely nothing, even though guys like Maddison can play dog shit for weeks. Under may not be the answer to our RW problems, but he has changed games for the better early on in the season. Now, Rodgers refuses to play him even though we need some creativity and impetus. Seems to me that Rodgers is a very stubborn person, who only trusts certain players and will happily flog these guys whilst discarding others. He played Barnes even though he was injured and now hes out for the season. Tielmans, poor guy looks shattered. 

• Like 1

If we don't get Champions League then we won't be anywhere near it next season. All our expansion plans for the squad and hopes of keeping our so called 'best' players will be in tatters. That will be a mix of simply not achieving the finances to do it, but also players losing interest. How does Brendan survive that that the second year running? I genuinely don't know if its possible, no matter how well he's done here. 

I wrote at half time last night that then was the time for Rodgers to show his managerial credentials 

The game wasn’t over. I thought it we could shut Newcastle out from that point, we’d score.

But what happened? We play the same way, use the same tactics and end up going 4 down!?

There was nothing last night in such a big second half for us that showed me Rodgers had much a clue how to get out of the hole we’d dug in the first half

This is my biggest concern with Rodgers. He seems relatively unable to come up with much of a plan B when we need one. He seems just to stick with what he knows abs it either works well or it dies in the water. 
Which at the end of the day is pretty basic really tbh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1