Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Iran

Odsonne Édouard

2 hours ago, Xen said:

Yeah, this is almost certainly going to happen given how much noise there has been about it. If it works out for us then £20m will feel like a bargain, and if he doesn't then it's not like it'd be an expensive flop - we'd still recoup most of that money.

If Kelechi hadn't stepped up as much as he has done then I'd be advocating for us to go for someone more distinguished to lead the line with/instead of Vardy, but Kelechi's new-found form means we're not quite as desperate for that big name at this point in time, and Edouard could well fit as an option (and may surprise us and become that star player anyway). Feels like a no-brainer, particularly if the feeling at the club is that Vardy has another year or two left in him...

Alternatives are all going to be either too expensive, too risky or both. Given that we will likely want to spend to strengthen other areas as well, if a relatively low-cost striker is available and ticks the boxes then it makes sense to go for it and put the big money elsewhere.

I think this is a really good point. I think Kel's recent form has put us in a really good position. All we have to do now is find a good striker who can lead the line alone or as part of a two up front. With that player in the squad, we'll have a flexible squad that can play either with a lone-striker or a pair, but we'll also be able to rotate the forward line without losing much quality.

If Nacho hadn't been rattling the goals in, I think we would have been under pressure to put a lot of our resources into signing the best no.9 we could possibly get. Not saying Edouard or whoever we end up with isn't that, necessarily - just that we might have been tempted to blow most of our budget on buying the next Vardy. We've seen how much we struggled when JV's been unavailable. I think a player like Edouard will be able to take a lot of the workload off JV and allow him to prolong his career somewhat. He will also not be under a ton of pressure, due to the price tag, and also the fact that the responsibility for goals will be shared by Vardy and Kelechi.

Seems a no-brainer, really.

48 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

This is all interesting, and good that it’s data driven. But I’m afraid logic won’t cut it with me on this one. And why leave out backup keepers or youth players btw?

For every Virgil Van Dyke or Tierney (jury still out on that one btw) there’s a Barry Robson or Alan Maybury, Mark De Vries, Joe Hammill etc…

There were 2 backup keepers this year, no others. I left them out because they were signed with the explicit intention of not playing - i.e. they didn't need to be PL quality, they only needed to be capable of stepping in for 1 game a season at most as they were typically 3rd choices.

There were also only 2 youth players in the last 5 years as I recall it (19 and 20 years old). Signed and then never even made the bench so clearly they were academy fodder, and the jury would still be out on them regardless. They weren't signed with any intention of starting PL games (unlike the 4 I listed) so it makes no sense to compare them in the same discussion as VVD, Armstrong etc.

Of the four names you mentioned none of them moved directly into the premier league, and all of them were over a decade ago. Completely incomparable to current top-flight transfers. The entire point was that PL clubs don't buy from the SP unless they've done their full research on the individual. Claiming - as you have done - that all transfers from a single league are poor based on such a small sample (which almost completely contradicts your point) is nonsense.

Edited by Xen
  • Like 2

Yeah Levein was bringing us the duds from Scotland.

That said Strachan was bringing in an elderly Old Firm dream team at Middlesbrough and they were crap. Think he signed McDonald, Robson and Boyd.

Edited by RonnieTodger

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

This is all interesting, and good that it’s data driven. But I’m afraid logic won’t cut it with me on this one. And why leave out backup keepers or youth players btw?

For every Virgil Van Dyke or Tierney (jury still out on that one btw) there’s a Barry Robson or Alan Maybury, Mark De Vries, Joe Hammill etc…

Gary McAllister, David Gibson, Jackie Sinclair, Ally Mauchlen..... 

5 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I think has has more potential than Toney. The French system love him. And I think in all honesty the recent events at Celtic plus long Covid have probably had an impact on his performances. I watched him in the game V Rangers and without offending Celtic fans, he looked like he would have rather been anywhere else but there

He has all of the technical attributes to success, and he could be an absolute steal at 20m. 

It is a gamble, but as we have seen in the past so would Toney, I trust if we sign him, he would be the right players for the job. And under Rodgers I think he would flourish. 

Yeah he's cut that type of figure all season in all honesty.

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Yeah Levein was bringing us the duds from Scotland.

That said Strachan was bringing in an elderly Old Firm dream team at Middlesbrough and they were crap. Think he signed McDonald, Robson and Boyd.

Strachan absolutely lost the plot at Middlesborough with those signings, add McManus to that list also.

2 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Strachan absolutely lost the plot at Middlesborough with those signings, add McManus to that list also.

The worst being Tarmo Kink, I’m sure he was only signed because he wore yellow boots. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

He wouldn’t play much for us, but another of your former lads in Stuart Armstrong has also gone on to forge a decent Premier League career for himself at Southampton

Good point, forgot about him, he has done fairly well, a snip at £7m. Like you say he wouldn't get in the starting side but he'd be a great backup for Maddison and would offer something a bit different in the squad.

He also has one of the best songs ever lol

For some reason, defensive minded players USUALLY adapt better coming down from Scotland than attacking players do. Ofcourse there are exceptions but in general.... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's the most obvious transfer of the last few years, just hope it works out. I still can't make my mind up on him. 

Will be great if he starts well. When he's fit and confident he looks awesome.

• Like 2

On 05/05/2021 at 09:20, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Yeah guys like John McGinn, Kieran Tierney and Virgil Van Dijk have really struggled to make that step up in recent years.

In fact I can't think of the last person that came from the SPFL to the EPL who didn't do relatively well.

I think he means there has in the past been a lot of players with lots of hype to do well when you consider at the time Gary Hooper and Jelavic were also playing great up there at one point.

1 hour ago, Genesis1 said:

I think he means there has in the past been a lot of players with lots of hype to do well when you consider at the time Gary Hooper and Jelavic were also playing great up there at one point.

....did we not, at one point, try to throw a lot of money at getting Jelavic!!!

I am almost certain I remember we just get on raising the fee but he was reluctant to come here.