Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

England v Denmark Weds 07/07/21 20:00

15 minutes ago, filbertway said:

This is pretty much how I see it going. Barring Denmark scoring a worldie or two or us getting a dodgy red. I can't see any way in which we don't have the edge in this game.

Then I'm fairly confident we'll lose to Italy in the final. They look a much better outfit than Spain and I don't think it'll even be close. Then in the final, I don't expect it'll be a great spectacle but I think Italy will have the edge over us. 

Italy will shithouse their way through the final if that quarter is anything to go by.

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Bit harsh. Italy were sensational in the 1/4 final, were by far the better team? 

I've read a lot of these 'Shithousing' reactions recently, similar to the reactions England fans have given in the approach to our games being too defensive.

There seems to be a bit of a revival of more direct high tempo football and the tippy tappy brigade don't like it. 

The two teams most likely to reach the final, Italy & England have done so by treating each game individually and adapting their approach accordingly, be interesting to see if this thinking filters into the Premier League next season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I've read a lot of these 'Shithousing' reactions recently, similar to the reactions England fans have given in the approach to our games being too defensive.

There seems to be a bit of a revival of more direct high tempo football and the tippy tappy brigade don't like it. 

The two teams most likely to reach the final, Italy & England have done so by treating each game individually and adapting their approach accordingly, be interesting to see if this thinking filters into the Premier League next season.

lol I'm sorry but England are getting pelters because England have been mostly garbage (aesthetically at least.) You're clutching at straws if you're calling Southgate football "direct high tempo football." 

Don't think those terms have ever been attributed to Southgate before. Slow, turgid and unimaginative are more like it. 

Italy have looked like a peak Klopp side at times in this tournament, there's nothing passive or overtly defensive about them. They don't park the bus happy to not have the ball, they've gone all out pressing all over the pitch to win it back. The last twenty or so minutes against Belgium might have been a bit of an exception but they had a narrow lead in a knock out game against a quality opponent that were finally throwing a bit of caution to the wind. 

Yeah they're physical, athletic and robust but they're hardly playing some Hungarian hoofball either. They've got some wonderful technicians in the side and they've been cracking to watch. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

lol I'm sorry but England are getting pelters because England have been mostly garbage (aesthetically at least.) You're clutching at straws if you're calling Southgate football "direct high tempo football." 

Don't think those terms have ever been attributed to Southgate before. Slow, turgid and unimaginative are more like it. 

Italy have looked like a peak Klopp side at times in this tournament, there's nothing passive or overtly defensive about them. They don't park the bus happy to not have the ball, they've gone all out pressing all over the pitch to win it back. The last twenty or so minutes against Belgium might have been a bit of an exception but they had a narrow lead in a knock out game against a quality opponent that were finally throwing a bit of caution to the wind. 

Yeah they're physical, athletic and robust but they're hardly playing some Hungarian hoofball either. They've got some wonderful technicians in the side and they've been cracking to watch. 

Blimey.... agreeing with you has gone well for me there lol 

Should have separated the direct and high tempo as referencing England and then Italy. All the goals we have scored in this tournament have come from fairly short moves from back to front, trying to find the fastest way to a tap in... or.. from a set piece. I wasn't for a second claiming England have been high tempo! 

As for Italy, incredibly high tempo in the group stages, then they took stock and have conserved energy last two games and managed the games well.... which for me means they'll ease through tomorrow and potentially win the thing.

Both good approaches to tournament football and equally upsetting the 'total football' brigade.

8 minutes ago, AjcW said:

and equally upsetting the 'total football' brigade.

I'm just not really sure I get this bit :dunno:

It's like a popular mass strawman that happens all over the Internet, claims of some sort of mass collective out there that's supposedly hating on something? 

Other than one person suggesting Italy shithouse (which they may have been referring more to their antics than their tactics tbf, like Berardi blocking a free kick or Immobile pretending to be hurt before the Barella goal) I've not really seen anything other than universal acclaim for Italy in this tournament. 

Who are these mass ranks of people crusading against anything except 95% possession tiki taka? 

21 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm just not really sure I get this bit :dunno:

It's like a popular mass strawman that happens all over the Internet, claims of some sort of mass collective out there that's supposedly hating on something? 

Other than one person suggesting Italy shithouse (which they may have been referring more to their antics than their tactics tbf, like Berardi blocking a free kick or Immobile pretending to be hurt before the Barella goal) I've not really seen anything other than universal acclaim for Italy in this tournament. 

Who are these mass ranks of people crusading against anything except 95% possession tiki taka? 

Yep. Italy have played brilliantly. They’ve also taken feigning injury to a level rarely seen before. The ‘shithousing’ comment is clearly a reference to the latter, not their overall play. The suggestion that ‘purists’ are upset because they don’t play tiki taka is plain daft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

After watching England against Ukraine if they do face Italy in the final it will be 50/50 if not more chance of England coming out on top, Italy has an ageing defence which England could exploit.. England have not conceded a goal yet and have controlled most games.. I think you are under estimating the chance we have even the mental strength of Italy won't be enough as the England players are in a good place mentally as well and are playing as a team.

Absolute shambles. Why give England any venues when the British government have the most draconian restrictions in the whole of Western Europe. Final and semi final should have been held in Amsterdam, Copenhagen or any other city. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

Tempted to have a go at a Denmark win here, don’t think they are as far an outsider as the odds suggest. Will be a very close game.

852D62B3-78C4-44C0-9E1B-39C2AD90468B.jpeg

Those are very long odds for a team that recently beat England at Wembley.

That said, England were a man down for an hour, yet almost shared possession stats (44/56%), had 15 attempts at goal compared with 10 by Denmark and had 5 efforts on target compared with 4 from Denmark, all with 10 men.

Different game, different competition, I guess. Over 4/1 does still seem rather large for the Danes though.

As an England supporter, I'm hoping the emotional ride Denmark have been on since the unfortunate Eriksen incident catches up with them. Still think it'll be a close match with a 1 goal margin either way. 

I thought the Czechs would beat Denmark though, so I know sweet fa when it comes down to it.

5 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

That said, England were a man down for an hour, yet almost shared possession stats (44/56%), had 15 attempts at goal compared with 10 by Denmark and had 5 efforts on target compared with 4 from Denmark, all with 10 men.

Different game, different competition, I guess. Over 4/1 does still seem rather large for the Danes though.

As an England supporter, I'm hoping the emotional ride Denmark have been on since the unfortunate Eriksen incident catches up with them. Still think it'll be a close match with a 1 goal margin either way. 

I thought the Czechs would beat Denmark though, so I know sweet fa when it comes down to it.

By the Elo ranking system, Denmark is the 9th best team in the world right now, with England in 8th. It’s going to be tight.

6 minutes ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

so basically bet on anything against what you say :D i'll be lumping on England in 90minutes

1 minute ago, Duquesne Whistle said:

Fair point lol

You'll have to 'lump on' at 1.70 odds to make it worthwhile though.... :P

true not worth it the value is in Denmark just can't see them winning in 90minutes, stranger things have happened though i.e Iceland

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxesWalk said:

Tempted to have a go at a Denmark win here, don’t think they are as far an outsider as the odds suggest. Will be a very close game.

852D62B3-78C4-44C0-9E1B-39C2AD90468B.jpeg

I have lumped on England against Denmark and to win the thing. 5/1 at start of tournament and some more today at 9/5. I just can't see anything else happening. Final is 99% happening, final could be a balance but think England have the edge like in the 5 games so far. True champions win when they aren't playing well.

Lets have some fun....attack..attack attack

Pickford  

James     Stones.   Maguire

Sancho .       Mount  Grealish .    Shaw 

Saka      Kane.      Sterling