Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Bertrand signs

He got a lot of stick at one point in the 2nd half for not playing a ball in behind for Daka and then seemed to hold his hand up apologetically to the fans. 

I felt a bit sorry for him, he’s not an up n down wing back, he’s an ageing LB who is a squad player at best. I was relieved he put a decent corner in which we scored from before getting subbed, think he was quite pleased to go off n all tbh!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

He got a lot of stick at one point in the 2nd half for not playing a ball in behind for Daka and then seemed to hold his hand up apologetically to the fans. 

I felt a bit sorry for him, he’s not an up n down wing back, he’s an ageing LB who is a squad player at best. I was relieved he put a decent corner in which we scored from before getting subbed, think he was quite pleased to go off n all tbh!

Yeh I saw that apology. How he missed Daka’s run tho fcuk knows. His mindset seems so focused on shuffling it back or sideways that he’s forgotten to look forwards. 

• Like 1

The bloke is rubbish, I’ve seen enough. Their goal was partially his fault as he was firstly out of position and secondly, he made no attempt to track the man. I just don’t see what he’s good at? Crossing is poor, tackling is poor, work ethic is also poor. What riles me about him is how passenger he is, he’s constantly out of position and doesn’t even track back.

I said it weeks ago - I am honestly astonished by his lack of ability to do the basics. This is a man who has played regular top flight football for seven years. Maybe I am being too harsh, however, I think he has been absolutely dismal.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 2

Was pitiful tonight. The 15 minutes he was left back in front of east stand is worst individual display I’ve seen from a Leicester player since we’ve been a prem side again. Defending for the goal was disgraceful, then he had temerity to start waving his arms about to crowd and players. Thought at one moment crowd had really turned against him

Only thing giving me any hope is could be long Covid 

• Like 2

My god in a night where most of the team put in a stinker he stood out for being nowhere near the required standard he'd have looked average in Spartaks team. As another poster said he lacks the basics, he's like a raw prospect without any of the upside and he just looks to be going through the motions. I'm glad Brendan hooked him and he can rot in the reserves until his contract runs out far as I'm concerned. Horrible, horrible performance from Bertrand, still angry about it 3 hours later.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

My god in a night where most of the team put in a stinker he stood out for being nowhere near the required standard he'd have looked average in Spartaks team. As another poster said he lacks the basics, he's like a raw prospect without any of the upside and he just looks to be going through the motions. I'm glad Brendan hooked him and he can rot in the reserves until his contract runs out far as I'm concerned. Horrible, horrible performance from Bertrand, still angry about it 3 hours later.

The raw prospect notion is bang on. Soumare and Daka have both struggled at times but this is normal as transition periods between clubs often happen. However, unlike Bertrand, they have both demonstrated glimpses of their ability - I can’t actually remember Bertrand showing anything. As I’ve basically said above, his genuine lack of desire also really irritates me too, it was absolutely pathetic tonight.

Maybe I am overreacting but I would be more than happy to never see him in a Leicester shirt again.

1 minute ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

The raw prospect notion is bang on. Soumare and Daka have both struggled at times but this is normal as transition periods between clubs often happen. However, unlike Bertrand, they have both demonstrated glimpses of their ability - I can’t actually remember Bertrand showing anything. As I’ve basically said above, his genuine lack of desire also really irritates me too, it was absolutely pathetic tonight.

Maybe I am overreacting but I would be more than happy to never see him in a Leicester shirt again.

No you're not over reacting this is spot on. I said the exact same thing about never wanting to see him in a City shirt again about 35 mins into the game. God he's bad. He has nothing going for him other than experience and you're spot on no desire just going through the motions and picking up a pay cheque. Hes a total dud signing, what were we thinking?

• Like 2

He was awful tonight and he knew it. He could feel the fans turning on him and he was probably relieved to get subbed. Expectations are much higher here than at Southampton and he won't get away with the tripe performances we've seen so far. Once Justin and Ricardo are both fit and even Albrighton, I can't see him even making the match day squad. Justin, Castagne, Ricardo and Thomas are much better and I think I'd rather play Albrighton lwb when he's fit. It's not his best position but we know he will get up and down and work hard for the team and he can put in a decent cross. Much more than Bertrand offers

Just now, Arriba Los Zorros said:

No you're not over reacting this is spot on. I said the exact same thing about never wanting to see him in a City shirt again about 35 mins into the game. God he's bad. He has nothing going for him other than experience and you're spot on no desire just going through the motions and picking up a pay cheque. Hes a total dud signing, what were we thinking?

Honestly, there is just nothing there. Been sold an absolute lie about him being a great crosser and a solid PL left back. Only positive is that we got him on a free I guess.

2 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

He was awful tonight and he knew it. He could feel the fans turning on him and he was probably relieved to get subbed. Expectations are much higher here than at Southampton and he won't get away with the tripe performances we've seen so far. Once Justin and Ricardo are both fit and even Albrighton, I can't see him even making the match day squad. Justin, Castagne, Ricardo and Thomas are much better and I think I'd rather play Albrighton lwb when he's fit. It's not his best position but we know he will get up and down and work hard for the team and he can put in a decent cross. Much more than Bertrand offers

2 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Honestly, there is just nothing there. Been sold an absolute lie about him being a great crosser and a solid PL left back. Only positive is that we got him on a free I guess.

Watching Bertrand tonight was like a throwback to most of our players in the mid to late 00s. A lack of ability, quality and most of all desire. **** him I hope he never makes any more squads until he decides he can be arsed to pull on the shirt when called upon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Watching Bertrand tonight was like a throwback to most of our players in the mid to late 00s. A lack of ability, quality and most of all desire. **** him I hope he never makes any more squads until he decides he can be arsed to pull on the shirt when called upon.

This is it, it's the perceived lack of effort and desire from him. I've not worked out whether it is lack of effort or whether his legs have just gone and he just physically can't keep up with the demands of top level football. Either way, how has Rodgers and/or the coaching staff not realised there is an issue with him? Doesn't help that Ricardo, Justin and Albrighton are all out as it does only leave is with Castagne, Thomas and Bertrand and with Thomas still being young and inexperienced, it could be too much for him to keep playing 2 games a week. I fully expect Thomas to start at Leeds unless Ricardo is back. 

Edited by jayfox26

IMHO opinion his legs are gone but he would still offer a lot if used as a third CB, like Amartey and JJ last year.

We need pace from the wingbacks to stretch the opposition as much as possible, unfortunately at the moment Ryan’s not up to it. Really don’t believe he’s “shit” though.

1 hour ago, jayfox26 said:

This is it, it's the perceived lack of effort and desire from him. I've not worked out whether it is lack of effort or whether his legs have just gone and he just physically can't keep up with the demands of top level football. Either way, how has Rodgers and/or the coaching staff not realised there is an issue with him? Doesn't help that Ricardo, Justin and Albrighton are all out as it does only leave is with Castagne, Thomas and Bertrand and with Thomas still being young and inexperienced, it could be too much for him to keep playing 2 games a week. I fully expect Thomas to start at Leeds unless Ricardo is back. 

If we have to shoehorn Castagne to left back to avoid Thomas playing two games a week, at least we can call on Mr Utility himself, Dan Amartey, to play right back.

Regarding Bertrand, he just does not look bothered. I'd like to think that is not the case and either his legs have gone or he's suffering from long covid, but at the minute he's a hindrance not a help.

3 hours ago, MalletFox said:

I agree he is a LB not a wingback. He has been on a downhill slope since COVID. He looked pretty decent at first.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, ACF said:

IMHO opinion his legs are gone but he would still offer a lot if used as a third CB, like Amartey and JJ last year.

We need pace from the wingbacks to stretch the opposition as much as possible, unfortunately at the moment Ryan’s not up to it. Really don’t believe he’s “shit” though.

Agree too he is not “shit”. He should be starting ahead of Thomas but my first choice would still be Castagne there with Ricardo on the right (until Justin comes back).

He is so so poor. Cannot name a single redeeming feature. Thomas has struggled at times but he's been both better than Bertrand, and he's also got age on his side. Persist with him - Bertrand is no steady eddie, put it that way.

5 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

Yeh I saw that apology. How he missed Daka’s run tho fcuk knows. His mindset seems so focused on shuffling it back or sideways that he’s forgotten to look forwards

To be fair, that is the mindset we have throughout the team mostly nowadays. Lookman even did it last night. 

The signing concerned me at the time and still does. Along with Vestergaard, a shift in how we operate and a misguided and expensive one at that. He'll see out his contract here playing very little football. Compared to Castagne he was honking.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

I agree he is a LB not a wingback. He has been on a downhill slope since COVID. He looked pretty decent at first.

Agree. 

His performance was so poor last night it transcended anger into pity. 

His performance at the charity shield - pre covid - was fine. Post covid, he's looked a broken man. 

• Like 3