Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigWesMorgan

Spartak Moscow (A) - Post Match

1 minute ago, turtmcfly said:

Presumably you mean for their second goal, not for the rest of the game during which he played well.

If so, like plenty of players on the night (perhaps due it doing that snowing thing), Amartey slipped just before the ball came in. I think Luke's pass to Soy and him pissing about with it were worse offenses for that goal

Yes, the second goal. Let the attacker have 5 yards in front of goal, suddenly switched on to the danger then slipped because of it. Awful defending that even he'll probably admit. Not bothered about the rest of his performance to be honest as that's not the subject I was referring to.

12 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Give him a trophy for getting us Soumare and Daka and then take it back off him for signing Bertrand and Vestergaard. The absolute best and worst examples of our recruitment the last window. 

And who means more to the future of this club? Vestergaard and Bertrand are low cost subs being used as stand ins until Fofana and Justin return from injury. Given our limited resources its the best we can do and I'm willing to give both of them time to settle in. Which Vestergaard has not had the time to do given his trial by fire from his first day at the club. Think writing them off is a bit premature.

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

And who means more to the future of this club? Vestergaard and Bertrand are low cost subs being used as stand ins until Fofana and Justin return from injury. Given our limited resources its the best we can do and I'm willing to give both of them time to settle in. Which Vestergaard has not had the time to do given his trial by fire from his first day at the club. Think writing them off is a bit premature.

One of my mates is a Southampton fan and he had nothing good to say about him. £15m isnt exactly cheap. Bertrand was free but probably on pretty hefty wages. Still early days but I don't have particularly high hopes for either. 

Didn't see or hear much of the game but what I did see and hear it was very good, think we started well, somehow found ourselves 2-0 down, although I get the feeling we'd played well and did little wrong I did fear the worst and did think we could/perhaps had lost control of the game, a much needed goal before half time came, think we did adapt, tweak and change things abit in the 2nd half, for the better and wow was it for the better!

It does seem Rodgers has looked at things during the international break and come to the conclusion attacking, positive football is the way forward and suits the players we have the best. Thankfully! Let's just hope it continues!

Do fear Vestergaard is a busted flush, hopefully he can settle and turn himself around though!

1 minute ago, jayfox26 said:

One of my mates is a Southampton fan and he had nothing good to say about him. £15m isnt exactly cheap. Bertrand was free but probably on pretty hefty wages. Still early days but I don't have particularly high hopes for either. 

With all due respect I'm going to trust Kasper over your buddy from Southampton :D

4 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Bertrand contracted COVID last month IIRC?  He looked good in his first couple of matches, so I retain hope he simply is still coming back to fitness.

Vestergaard, though ... inserting him as part of a high defensive line is even worse malpractice than how OGS plays Maguire.  It was never going to work.

7 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Yes, the second goal. Let the attacker have 5 yards in front of goal, suddenly switched on to the danger then slipped because of it. Awful defending that even he'll probably admit. Not bothered about the rest of his performance to be honest as that's not the subject I was referring to.

https://streamwo.com/K7R1fwe

If anything he 'switched on' to the danger quicker than the attacker. Both he and Larsson start in the same direction, Larsson stopped dead and Amartey slips attempting to stop too. They're a couple of yards apart when he falls, not five.

It's not great (and looks worse than it was), it's not a 'horror show'. Or if it is, I wonder how you'd describe Soyuncu making the attempt necessary in the first place

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SO1 said:

With all due respect I'm going to trust Kasper over your buddy from Southampton :D

Well he does seem to play well for Denmark but some players are better at international level than at club level. I'll make my own judgement rather than go off what Kasper says. Kasper isn't exactly going to slag off his team mate is he?

1 minute ago, turtmcfly said:

https://streamwo.com/K7R1fwe

If anything he 'switched on' to the danger quicker than the attacker. Both he and Larsson start in the same direction, Larsson stopped dead and Amartey slips attempting to stop too. They're a couple of yards apart when he falls, not five.

It's not great (and looks worse than it was), it's not a 'horror show'. Or if it is, I wonder how you'd describe Soyuncu making the attempt necessary in the first place

I'll channge my view after watching that video. He was 10yards off of the attacker before he decided to switch on. 

7 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

Well he does seem to play well for Denmark but some players are better at international level than at club level.

I'll make my own judgement rather than go off what Kasper says.

Kasper isn't exactly going to slag off his team mate is he?

No, but he's not exactly going to recommend the club sign a car crash player to play in front of him!

At the start of the season I suggested a midfield 3 of Tielemans-Soumare-Maddison and a back 3/5.

"We would never play like that!" was the response.....Well, we've had 2 of our best attacking performances in 12 months using it.

I've said it once, twice, maybe even a dozen times, a double pivot of Ndidi+Tielemans just doesn't work.

Claridge was right with his comment post match, Rodgers looks to have found a system which suits us, and he also rightly pointed out that it has taken too long to find it.....

And lets be fair, he's found it luckily by having a key player missing.

We finally have some fluidity in our play and look far far better, than our previous tactic of just giving the ball to Barnes and crossing our fingers. 

But Rodgers really needs to find a way to improve us defensively, something that has been going on for a long long time now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Napoli win for me. If Napoli win next 3 and we win next 2, it leaves the last game to decide the group winner and not on a knife edge 

Draw for me then if us and Napoli win next 2 games we would need to draw with them to top the group. Napoli win tomorrow means we would need to beat them to win the group. Either way us and them would finish 1st & 2nd