Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr Marco

Pizza

On 05/04/2022 at 20:30, Zear0 said:

Paid Pizza Punks a visit and thought it was really good. Had their Cubano as I'm far too indecisive to choose a custom pizza. Mojo Sauce (no idea), Grueye, Mustard, prusciutto, sirischa pork belly, gherkins, dill and balsamic vinegar. Bloody marvellous it was. 

Apologies for sideways pic but not idea how to rotate, also, baby wipes are optional with the pizza. 

IMG-20220401-WA0003.jpeg

I went there a few weeks ago. All the cutlery was filthy. I was slightly sick afterwards as well. Service was friendly but terribly slow 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bought a pizza stone from Asda, for use on the gas BBQ, and finally got around to trying it out today. Prepped dough and made sauce this morning. Used Cornmeal instead of flour when rolling the dough, and I'm quite pleased with how it all turned out. 

We have friends round next week for a BBQ at lunchtime, and then hoping to do some pizzas on the BBQ late on. Trying to think of the best way to manage the Pizza making process without neglecting guests...

Was thinking about making the dough in the morning, letting it prove, rolling it out and leaving in the fridge all day (on pizza tray dusted with cornmeal) until we're ready to add toppings. Would that be the best way to do it? Ideally don't want to be rolling dough out while guests are round. 

Compress_20220528_195228_8381.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Górnik Leicester said:

Bought a pizza stone from Asda, for use on the gas BBQ, and finally got around to trying it out today. Prepped dough and made sauce this morning. Used Cornmeal instead of flour when rolling the dough, and I'm quite pleased with how it all turned out. 

We have friends round next week for a BBQ at lunchtime, and then hoping to do some pizzas on the BBQ late on. Trying to think of the best way to manage the Pizza making process without neglecting guests...

Was thinking about making the dough in the morning, letting it prove, rolling it out and leaving in the fridge all day (on pizza tray dusted with cornmeal) until we're ready to add toppings. Would that be the best way to do it? Ideally don't want to be rolling dough out while guests are round. 

I reckon that would be fine.

When you've rolled them out, stack them with greaseproof paper separating each one :thumbup:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Górnik Leicester said:

LEGEND

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Lol. Seems like it. But just curios if taste is better or not. Youtube time maybe?

I imagine this is a similar debate to Gas/coal BBQ. 

For me a BBQ isn’t a BBQ unless it’s cooked over coal, as you get a nice chargrilled flavour. I think you would tell a difference between the taste of a wood fired pizza as opposed to being cooked in basically a big gas oven. If you want convenience and to use it all the time, I’d go Gas, if you want it to be more of a “treat” thing, with the whole theatre around it, go wood. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Manini said:

I imagine this is a similar debate to Gas/coal BBQ. 

For me a BBQ isn’t a BBQ unless it’s cooked over coal, as you get a nice chargrilled flavour. I think you would tell a difference between the taste of a wood fired pizza as opposed to being cooked in basically a big gas oven. If you want convenience and to use it all the time, I’d go Gas, if you want it to be more of a “treat” thing, with the whole theatre around it, go wood. 

Figured as much. Common sense jattdogg! Lol

I also want a tandoor oven. Might make one but you can get one for same price as an ooni depending on if you buy smaller size orrrr much cheaper if you make one with clay pots etc

On 28/05/2022 at 19:59, Górnik Leicester said:

Update on this.

Made dough for 8 pizzas around 24 hours in advance. Split into 8 separate freezer bags and put in the fridge to prove slowly. Took them out of the fridge about an hour before making up, and they had doubled in size by the time I'd come to stretch.

BBQ took about 5-10 minutes to heat the stone, and the pizzas took another 5-10 minutes each to cook. Did 5 in total, and froze the remaining dough (which I'll be using in the over tonight).

All in all, a massive success. Pizzas turned out quite thin/crispy on the base. Not sure if this was to do with the pre-making or the cooking process. Cornmeal worked well with the stretching process. Lots of compliments on the homemade pizza sauce, too (passata, tomato puree, chilli flakes, salt, sweetener, mixed herbs, dash of ketchup and BBQ sauce). Only real downside was the handle on the BBQ snapped, and I burned my arm!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 09/06/2022 at 11:41, Jattdogg said:

Lol. Seems like it. But just curios if taste is better or not. Youtube time maybe?

Very little difference in taste if I'm honest, especially if you compared a pizza made in a conventional wood fired oven vs then another type.

That's why I turned my back on wood fired ooni and got the gas attachment. 

If you were to ask me what I'd do if I had a proper neapolitan oven or I opened my own pizza restaurant then I'd go with wood fired but for at home and solely based on Ooni ovens then gas would be my choice.

36 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Very little difference in taste if I'm honest, especially if you compared a pizza made in a conventional wood fired oven vs then another type.

That's why I turned my back on wood fired ooni and got the gas attachment. 

If you were to ask me what I'd do if I had a proper neapolitan oven or I opened my own pizza restaurant then I'd go with wood fired but for at home and solely based on Ooni ovens then gas would be my choice.

Thanks for the feedback. So gas based ooni is better than a pizza stone in a regular oven then (i imagine)?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Thanks for the feedback. So gas based ooni is better than a pizza stone in a regular oven then (i imagine)?

Yes, ooni's are very very good. You can make pizza as good if not better than 99% of supposed pizza restaurants with a little bit of practice. They are game changers.

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes, ooni's are very very good. You can make pizza as good if not better than 99% of supposed pizza restaurants with a little bit of practice. They are game changers.

Thanks. Just need the wife to sign off now on yes or no seeing as its $$. She is the pizza maker in the house and was thinking wood is better. I know it might be more of a pain but we got the natural gas line outside for bbq which would be much easier. Just need to get the attachments is we go that route.

If i get one might have to revisit this for dough recipes.

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...