Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr Marco

Pizza

On 22/01/2022 at 14:19, Ric Flair said:

The Chicago Deep Pan Stuffed Pie looks better than it tasted. Was very heavy and wasn't worth the effort, may try and improve it one day but many other pizzas I prefer to make.

Screenshot_20220122-141308_Facebook.jpg

Looks like a baked cheesecake this one 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Unabomber said:

What’s Detroit style? I can’t keep up with all these different pizzas 

Square pan pizza, heavy olive oil content in the dough and you build the cheese up round the sides to create a burnt cheese crust which is phenomenal tasting. 

If you're ever in London, there's a Detroit Pizza place opened up which does a great imitation of the stuff you get in America which is beyond words.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Square pan pizza, heavy olive oil content in the dough and you build the cheese up round the sides to create a burnt cheese crust which is phenomenal tasting. 

If you're ever in London, there's a Detroit Pizza place opened up which does a great imitation of the stuff you get in America which is beyond words.

Shit that sounds good 

34 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Where please?

Always a sucker for robertos in Syston, highly addictive thin crust pizza. The chips were on point too, overly salt but so moreish.

We only get plain cheese pizzas from supermarkets and 'pimp it' with whatever we have leftover in the fridge.

For those short on cash try sticking 2 tortilla wraps together with oil/butter as a cheap pizza base, assemble to your liking and cook for 5 mins on a 190 C. Makes a great snack and not to heavy either.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

For those short on cash try sticking 2 tortilla wraps together with oil/butter as a cheap pizza base, assemble to your liking and cook for 5 mins on a 190 C. Makes a great snack and not to heavy either.

I do that whenever I have fajitas and have leftover wraps that are too stale to re-use as wraps - works really well for a decent lunch. Tomato puree, chuck a bit of dried oregano and basil, 2 or 3 different cheeses and bingo. Can also do them as a calzone in a sandwich press

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I have 2 options in the freezer tonight. Either goodfellas meat feast takeaway style or a Chicago town pepperoni stuffed crust. Tough one but I am leaning towards the Chicago town. 

Cook them both, put them on top of each other toppings in and create your own calzone. :ph34r:

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 21:53, Ric Flair said:

https://detroitpizzalondon.com/restaurant/

Near Shoreditch, its decent

PS you've got an unreal pizza gaff (I'm sure you're already aware) up near you - Santa Maria 

Cheers, I'll have to get up there.

Haha I don't live in Ealing anymore but yep no stranger to Santa Maria - they ended up taking over the pub next door so are knocking them out in silly numbers at peak times. Hasn't compromised the quality too much though.

I actually preferred L'oro Di Napoli which is down the road when I was living round there but arse went when they opened a second branch and I think the original owners have sold it on now.

Edited by ealingfox
  • Like 1

On 28/01/2022 at 20:03, ealingfox said:

Cheers, I'll have to get up there.

Haha I don't live in Ealing anymore but yep no stranger to Santa Maria - they ended up taking over the pub next door so are knocking them out in silly numbers at peak times. Hasn't compromised the quality too much though.

I actually preferred L'oro Di Napoli which is down the road when I was living round there but arse went when they opened a second branch and I think the original owners have sold it on now.

Hahaha I was talking to a lad at work who's recently started and he loves in Ealing and said exactly the same thing, that there was a better gaff than Santa Maria's! Shame to hear its gone a bit tits up, that happened to an unbelievable place up in Finsbury Park when I was living there. Gutted, was probably my favourite pizza place in London.

On 24/01/2022 at 16:48, Detroit Blues said:

Good to see my hometown pizza being represented.

Just a little more about of the Detroit Style Pizza - It goes back to the 40s when an Italian immigrant created a pizza using the steel rectangular pan that was heavily used in automobile manufacturing plants to store nuts and bolts. That heavy steel pan did a good job of retaining and transferring heat, which created a crust that was crispy like @Ric Flair mentioned. Similar to if you've ever made a pizza in a cast iron skillet. The bottom and sides get a really nice layer of browning.

A History of Detroit-Style Pizza and Where to Find It | Michigan

The dough is a little different than the typical pizza you eat. It's kind of spongey in a good way (I think it has to do with the fermentation/how it rises). There's a lot of pockets of tiny bubbles in the dough. 

Detroit Style Pizza with Pepperoni - Thursday Night Pizza

Though the sauce is on top like a Sicilian style pizza, it should be pretty light comparatively. It's not like fully covered in sauce, there's just some ladled over and some parts of the pizza will be without sauce.  Be prepared for the sauce to taste a bite stronger/more acidic / spicy than the tomato sauce you get at like domino's (which was also founded in Michigan). I think that has to do with the fact that a smaller layer of sauce tends to caramelize faster in the oven than a thicker layer of sauce. There's also some evaporation of the water content in the sauce which concentrates the flavor by reduction. 

As far as toppings, you can pretty much do whatever you want, but traditional is pepperoni (and it should look like this (see below). Notice how the pepperonis cooking tend to turn into little cups. Bonus points if there is noticeable grease pooling in the pepperoni cups!

Detroit-Style Pizza | Allrecipes

If you're ever in my neck of the woods, there's a few options in terms of which pizza place to get it from.

• Buddy's is the OG Detroit style pizza place. The guy who invented the Detroit style pizza started Buddy's Restaurant. You can get delivery/takeaway, but they actually are a nice enough place to dine-in. They also make some good pasta dishes, but if you're at Buddy's why wouldn't you be eating pizza?
  • Jet's is the poor man's buddy's. If you get really drunk, this is the correct option for takeaway/delivery.
  • Little Ceaser's makes Detroit style pizza. It's not bad, but they're actually more well known for the fact you can walk in and buy a cheap round pizza that is technically edible, and for only $5. Most college kids live off of this lol
  • There are some other regional chains that make legit Detroit Style pizza, but their sauce is too sweet - I'm looking at you Shields.
  • If you want to be a hipster, the correct place to visit is Cloverleaf. 

TL/DR - Come to Detroit, eat our pizza. 

edit - If you notice an overabundance of apostrophes, that is actually a Detroit thing too. 

Superb write up that is, I will one day get over to Detroit for some pizza. As you say, it's all about the steel pan and " brick " cheese. I ordered one of those Lloyd Steel Pans before the pandemic and it got stuck at customs and never made it, got the money back but have been meaning to get hold of one, not so sure they're as good in this country!!!

I watched a good episode of The Pizza Show on your home state. Might be a few places on here you didn't know about?

FYI, if you want to become thoroughly addicted to pizza and America and end up down a rabbit hole of pizza and food videos on YouTube then I implore you to watch all the episodes of The Pizza Show.

It took my pizza obsession up a notch. Marc Iacono and Action Bronson are class on it. Iacono ended up opening a pizza gaff in Brooklyn with zero experience and has turned it in to the most coveted restaurant by celebs and the rich and famous. 

Dave Portnoy does Bar Stool Pizza reviews an'all which are brilliant. Basically travels the whole of America doing reviews and often with celeb special guests.

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

How did it go pal, looked promising!!!!

It was fairly good. The crust worked well, I just used grated mozzarella, straight from the fridge.

Needed more dough really, I left the base pretty thick, where I usually roll it out as thin as possible.

Because of that, it took longer to cook and the topping part was quite sloppy lol

Was a reasonable first attempt, but I'll make modifications next time!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Superb write up that is, I will one day get over to Detroit for some pizza. As you say, it's all about the steel pan and " brick " cheese. I ordered one of those Lloyd Steel Pans before the pandemic and it got stuck at customs and never made it, got the money back but have been meaning to get hold of one, not so sure they're as good in this country!!!

I watched a good episode of The Pizza Show on your home state. Might be a few places on here you didn't know about?

Pizza Show basically hit all the famous pizza joints. Buddys, Cloverleaf, Lou's are considered the originals. The pizza between the three places is similar enough that I would probably just goto whichever place was closer. If you're dining in, Cloverleaf has a more authentic atmosphere than Buddy's, but it doesn't really matter. 

The only place from the video that i hadn't heard of is Cafe D'mongo. I wonder if it's actually any good.

I've been meaning to try Amar's, they have a lot of unique pizza's with middle eastern / indian style flavors. 

The show opened @ Lafayette Coney Island, which is a Detroit Institution. The video needs more context -

A "Coney Island" is a greek-american style restaurant. They generally serve typical American breakfast fare, and then for lunch/dinner they have some Greek dishes and anything you'd get from a short-order grill - hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, etc. The food is generally inexpensive and aimed at Detroit's working class demographic. Need a quick bite? Coney Island. Need a place to eat after you get piss drunk at the bar? Coney Island. Need some takeout to bring over to your grandparents for dinner? Coney Island. That's the cultural space these restaurants occupy. They're literally everywhere.

The "Coney Dog" is a hot dog covered in chili (like the kind you would get out of a can), diced raw onions, and mustard. Every Coney Island sells a Coney Dog. If you go up to Flint Michigan (famous for their water crisis), they have a Coney dog that's different from the Detroit Coney dog, because the chili is different.

Lafayette is next door to American Coney island. You're either a Lafayette Coney Island or an American Coney island guy. You're not allowed to like both. Lafayette has the reputation of being the more hood restaurant where the workers will kind of harass you, the people eating there are sketchy, but the food is "worth it." If you walk in there from out of town, and order with a British accent - be prepared to be teased, impersonated, etc. The people there will love it. Just don't make the mistake of asking to put ketchup on a Coney dog, someone may physically assault you lol

American Coney Island is basically your typical suburban/corporate Coney island. Saying you prefer Lafayette to American tells a Detroiter you're one of us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Detroit Blues said:

Pizza Show basically hit all the famous pizza joints. Buddys, Cloverleaf, Lou's are considered the originals. The pizza between the three places is similar enough that I would probably just goto whichever place was closer. If you're dining in, Cloverleaf has a more authentic atmosphere than Buddy's, but it doesn't really matter. 

The only place from the video that i hadn't heard of is Cafe D'mongo. I wonder if it's actually any good.

I've been meaning to try Amar's, they have a lot of unique pizza's with middle eastern / indian style flavors. 

The show opened @ Lafayette Coney Island, which is a Detroit Institution. The video needs more context -

A "Coney Island" is a greek-american style restaurant. They generally serve typical American breakfast fare, and then for lunch/dinner they have some Greek dishes and anything you'd get from a short-order grill - hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, etc. The food is generally inexpensive and aimed at Detroit's working class demographic. Need a quick bite? Coney Island. Need a place to eat after you get piss drunk at the bar? Coney Island. Need some takeout to bring over to your grandparents for dinner? Coney Island. That's the cultural space these restaurants occupy. They're literally everywhere.

The "Coney Dog" is a hot dog covered in chili (like the kind you would get out of a can), diced raw onions, and mustard. Every Coney Island sells a Coney Dog. If you go up to Flint Michigan (famous for their water crisis), they have a Coney dog that's different from the Detroit Coney dog, because the chili is different.

Lafayette is next door to American Coney island. You're either a Lafayette Coney Island or an American Coney island guy. You're not allowed to like both. Lafayette has the reputation of being the more hood restaurant where the workers will kind of harass you, the people eating there are sketchy, but the food is "worth it." If you walk in there from out of town, and order with a British accent - be prepared to be teased, impersonated, etc. The people there will love it. Just don't make the mistake of asking to put ketchup on a Coney dog, someone may physically assault you lol

American Coney Island is basically your typical suburban/corporate Coney island. Saying you prefer Lafayette to American tells a Detroiter you're one of us. 

I'm obsessed with your countries food, it's absolutely nuts. If I was a millionaire I'd eat myself to death in America, I'd try and do it inside a year.

On 23/01/2022 at 21:53, Ric Flair said:

https://detroitpizzalondon.com/restaurant/

Near Shoreditch, its decent

PS you've got an unreal pizza gaff (I'm sure you're already aware) up near you - Santa Maria 

Yeah, I hadn't heard of this and now I'm going to go. 

I've tried Japes which is Chicago-style deep dish pizza. Cheese first, sauce on top. It was nice, but I found working with the dough a pain in the arse. 

On 24/01/2022 at 16:48, Detroit Blues said:

Good to see my hometown pizza being represented.

Just a little more about of the Detroit Style Pizza - It goes back to the 40s when an Italian immigrant created a pizza using the steel rectangular pan that was heavily used in automobile manufacturing plants to store nuts and bolts. That heavy steel pan did a good job of retaining and transferring heat, which created a crust that was crispy like @Ric Flair mentioned. Similar to if you've ever made a pizza in a cast iron skillet. The bottom and sides get a really nice layer of browning.

A History of Detroit-Style Pizza and Where to Find It | Michigan

The dough is a little different than the typical pizza you eat. It's kind of spongey in a good way (I think it has to do with the fermentation/how it rises). There's a lot of pockets of tiny bubbles in the dough. 

Detroit Style Pizza with Pepperoni - Thursday Night Pizza

Though the sauce is on top like a Sicilian style pizza, it should be pretty light comparatively. It's not like fully covered in sauce, there's just some ladled over and some parts of the pizza will be without sauce.  Be prepared for the sauce to taste a bite stronger/more acidic / spicy than the tomato sauce you get at like domino's (which was also founded in Michigan). I think that has to do with the fact that a smaller layer of sauce tends to caramelize faster in the oven than a thicker layer of sauce. There's also some evaporation of the water content in the sauce which concentrates the flavor by reduction. 

As far as toppings, you can pretty much do whatever you want, but traditional is pepperoni (and it should look like this (see below). Notice how the pepperonis cooking tend to turn into little cups. Bonus points if there is noticeable grease pooling in the pepperoni cups!

Detroit-Style Pizza | Allrecipes

If you're ever in my neck of the woods, there's a few options in terms of which pizza place to get it from.

• Buddy's is the OG Detroit style pizza place. The guy who invented the Detroit style pizza started Buddy's Restaurant. You can get delivery/takeaway, but they actually are a nice enough place to dine-in. They also make some good pasta dishes, but if you're at Buddy's why wouldn't you be eating pizza?
  • Jet's is the poor man's buddy's. If you get really drunk, this is the correct option for takeaway/delivery.
  • Little Ceaser's makes Detroit style pizza. It's not bad, but they're actually more well known for the fact you can walk in and buy a cheap round pizza that is technically edible, and for only $5. Most college kids live off of this lol
  • There are some other regional chains that make legit Detroit Style pizza, but their sauce is too sweet - I'm looking at you Shields.
  • If you want to be a hipster, the correct place to visit is Cloverleaf. 

TL/DR - Come to Detroit, eat our pizza. 

edit - If you notice an overabundance of apostrophes, that is actually a Detroit thing too. 

I have a second cousin who lives not far from Detroit. This alone is reason to go and visit. 

• Like 1