Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr Marco

Pizza

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I used to do the same mate or a pizza stone in the oven but they don't get anywhere near the same results as an Ooni or Gozney. 

All depends how much you are willing to spend. I got the Ooni 3 as my first ever oven about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. Was only about £200 at the time bit the Pro and Koda are north of £400.

There is a new one out thats just as much but it looks immense.

My Ooni 3 was just wood fired and is great for making a few pizzas but it's not practical to use to make a lot of pizzas which I do from time to time and therefore I wanted one that was gas as well. 

If you don't want to shell out for an oven then look at baking steels that go in your conventional oven and Lloyd steel pans as these will help get consistent results in a home oven. I still do some pizzas in my oven at home as the Ooni ovens are geared up for cooking at 450/500c and the pizzas are done in 90 seconds which is great for Neapolitan but not for other styles of pizza.

Mate, this sounds like a serious hobby. 

My friend was put on furlough when lockdown started in 2020, and started making pizzas in his house and giving them to neighbours on a Friday night. Given, his mum is a Neapolitan and helped with the dough and sauce recipes, but within a few weeks people were turning up from around his village and asking to pay.

Within 2 months he'd bought another pizza oven, quit his job and gone legit. Last summer they had in excess of 10 staff, were selling out at large sporting events, and winning business awards. 

Sure they struck at the right time, but it's mental how much demand there is for decent pizza.

Your stuff looks legit. If your career went tits-up, there's always pizza. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I built my own Pizza oven in my garden (with the help from family as I’m basically a retard) and would recommend it.

I think it needs to be rebuilt in the spring unfortunately as the cover has disappeared, when I do I might give a proper brick one a go.

C54E5322-958D-48D1-8D6D-100AF23D3C6A.jpeg

Since we moved I have become slightly obsessed with tiles, yours are lovely :wub:

9 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Mate, this sounds like a serious hobby. 

My friend was put on furlough when lockdown started in 2020, and started making pizzas in his house and giving them to neighbours on a Friday night. Given, his mum is a Neapolitan and helped with the dough and sauce recipes, but within a few weeks people were turning up from around his village and asking to pay.

Within 2 months he'd bought another pizza oven, quit his job and gone legit. Last summer they had in excess of 10 staff, were selling out at large sporting events, and winning business awards. 

Sure they struck at the right time, but it's mental how much demand there is for decent pizza.

Your stuff looks legit. If your career went tits-up, there's always pizza. 

I bet I've heard of your mate, if you don't mind me asking what's his pizza venture called? There's some incredible people out there making a living doing it and fair play to them. I do a few bits and bobs for people I know who want them for special occasions etc and love doing it but to go full time is a huge jump and it's a great little hobby. Hard work though haha

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I bet I've heard of your mate, if you don't mind me asking what's his pizza venture called? There's some incredible people out there making a living doing it and fair play to them. I do a few bits and bobs for people I know who want them for special occasions etc and love doing it but to go full time is a huge jump and it's a great little hobby. Hard work though haha

Santina's Wood Fired Pizza Co.

It's mainly Northants-based but they've been experimenting with regular spots around South Leics in the Mahkedahbra area. 

Amazing how well it's done considering it's like 2 years old TBF, but I agree - too much hard work. Lots of evenings and weekends. I just couldn't cut it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

The best pizza I've ever had was the Seafood pizza at Barasti Beach in Dubai, but my favourite takeaway pizza place is Roberto's in Syston

They're decent, but always found them stodgy.

Personally prefer Massimo's, a few doors down.

This thread has inspired me to look at pizza ovens. This is my BBQ

Image preview

and I've seen you can buy pizza ovens to go in these, like this:

813bMsFacpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Has anyone used anything like this? I don't really want to buy a whole other big unit, so if this will do the same it would be great

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think you'll find anyone one here who's more passionate and obsessed with pizza than I am. 

I don't think there's such a thing as a bad pizza, I'll eat any except for maybe the ones served in them kebab type shops where they put way too much cheese on and the base was made 3 years ago. Even naff Chicago Towns or 59p Aldi frozen pizzas will get the nod from me but my favourite has to be Neapolitan. A simple authentic margherita cooked in a wood fired oven is one of the 7 wonders of the world.

I have 3 ooni ovens so I make Neapolitan style but it's more New York fare which I absolutely love too. When I can be arsed to travel again I'm doing a pilgrimage to Naples and New York and the surrounding areas.

Here's a few of my pizzas from last year

IMG-20210823-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20210821-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20210814-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210814-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210731-WA0008.jpg

IMG_20211218_155208_462.jpg

That second from bottom one though.. image.gif.08381d5b9420b7f7c1c31c8ea5739078.gif

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bovril said:

apparently Youri likes a homemade pizza party according to some people I met on a Norfolk beach last summer. Just a little exclusive for you there

@Ric Flair if this is true we're putting you in charge of convincing him to sign a new contract. Pizza buddies. Rustle him up something to convince him to stay. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

They're decent, but always found them stodgy.

Personally prefer Massimo's, a few doors down.

Haven't had the chance to try Massimo's yet, they opened up after I moved away from the area. I'll have to give it a try next time I'm down there!

• Like 1

I don't particularly enjoy pizza but I think that is down to the fact that I probably have never tasted anything worth eating. My only exposure is to American chain or supermarket bought offerings. I have a gas grill and we have a pizza stone (unused) somewhere so @Ric Flaira good traditional recipe or cookbook recommendation would be very useful.

6 minutes ago, Smudge said:

I don't particularly enjoy pizza but I think that is down to the fact that I probably have never tasted anything worth eating. My only exposure is to American chain or supermarket bought offerings. I have a gas grill and we have a pizza stone (unused) somewhere so @Ric Flaira good traditional recipe or cookbook recommendation would be very useful.

If cooking on a stone I'd try and make the dough as light and airy as possible, which in order to do so will require a bit of patience.

I make a very good same day dough which tastes almost as good as my 24/48/72 hour doughs but there are subtle differences and the longer you can afford to leave dough to ferment and form, the tastier and much more enjoyable the pizza will be, especially if cooking via a stone or conventional oven and not a pizza oven that is geared up purely for one job.

Try this, it might sound a pain in the arse but it's worth it.

618g of 00 grade flour (most supermarkets sell it)

368g of lukewarm water

18g salt

2g active dry yeast

Glug of good quality olive oil

In a bowl put the flour and salt in together 

In a measuring jug put the water in and the yeast and whisk like fcuk for a min or two and then pour in to the flour bowl. Mix together with a hefty spatula and a glue of olive oil and keep mixing.

Turn out on to a floured board or work top and knead the dough for 5-10 mins until it becomes a good elastic mass, if it feels too wet then add some more flour and if its a little too dry to get that elastic feel then add small amounts of water.

Once that's done, put back in to the bowl, dust with flour and cover with a damp tea towel and put in a relatively warm place for an hour or so to allow the dough to rise.

Knock the dough back (de-gas), literally just punch the dough to remove the air and then reshape in to a single mass and then cover the bowl in double layer cling film and store in the fridge for 24 hours.

After 24 hours, divide the mass in to 4 equal pieces and shape in to balls. Try and tuck the dough downwards and then roll that scrunched bit like you would a piece of blue tac on a floured surface to get a smoothish round ball. Once you've done that. Put the dough balls on to floured baking trays or containers and cover in cling film again at room temperature for around 4+ hours and then you're ready to shape, top and cook. 

If you don't need 4 dough balls in one go then you can keep them in the fridge or preferably freezer (do either after 24 hours when they've been shaped in to balls and not yet back and room temperature). They'll keep in the fridge for a good 4-5 days and still be decent or in the freezer for weeks and weeks. 

When using the stone, if you have a digital thermometer give it a read, you want it as hot as possible. At the very least have the gas on and the stone in it for a good 20-30 mins before you cook the pizzas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

If cooking on a stone I'd try and make the dough as light and airy as possible, which in order to do so will require a bit of patience.

I make a very good same day dough which tastes almost as good as my 24/48/72 hour doughs but there are subtle differences and the longer you can afford to leave dough to ferment and form, the tastier and much more enjoyable the pizza will be, especially if cooking via a stone or conventional oven and not a pizza oven that is geared up purely for one job.

Try this, it might sound a pain in the arse but it's worth it.

618g of 00 grade flour (most supermarkets sell it)

368g of lukewarm water

18g salt

2g active dry yeast

Glug of good quality olive oil

In a bowl put the flour and salt in together 

In a measuring jug put the water in and the yeast and whisk like fcuk for a min or two and then pour in to the flour bowl. Mix together with a hefty spatula and a glue of olive oil and keep mixing.

Turn out on to a floured board or work top and knead the dough for 5-10 mins until it becomes a good elastic mass, if it feels too wet then add some more flour and if its a little too dry to get that elastic feel then add small amounts of water.

Once that's done, put back in to the bowl, dust with flour and cover with a damp tea towel and put in a relatively warm place for an hour or so to allow the dough to rise.

Knock the dough back (de-gas), literally just punch the dough to remove the air and then reshape in to a single mass and then cover the bowl in double layer cling film and store in the fridge for 24 hours.

After 24 hours, divide the mass in to 4 equal pieces and shape in to balls. Try and tuck the dough downwards and then roll that scrunched bit like you would a piece of blue tac on a floured surface to get a smoothish round ball. Once you've done that. Put the dough balls on to floured baking trays or containers and cover in cling film again at room temperature for around 4+ hours and then you're ready to shape, top and cook. 

If you don't need 4 dough balls in one go then you can keep them in the fridge or preferably freezer (do either after 24 hours when they've been shaped in to balls and not yet back and room temperature). They'll keep in the fridge for a good 4-5 days and still be decent or in the freezer for weeks and weeks. 

When using the stone, if you have a digital thermometer give it a read, you want it as hot as possible. At the very least have the gas on and the stone in it for a good 20-30 mins before you cook the pizzas.

Wow thanks Ric for going into so much detail. I'll definitely give that a try. :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I built my own Pizza oven in my garden (with the help from family as I’m basically a retard) and would recommend it.

I think it needs to be rebuilt in the spring unfortunately as the cover has disappeared, when I do I might give a proper brick one a go.

C54E5322-958D-48D1-8D6D-100AF23D3C6A.jpeg

Nice, we have those tiles from Wickes in our toilet, haha

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

These are always the best sorts of threads on FT.

Mad how bulletproof pizza is, frozen ones from some shithole you should swerve like a McColls or a Heron foods will still go down well. It's the Stella of food.

Bulletproof Pizza sounds like a really bad post-Goodfellas 90s movie starring Paul Sorvino and Dan Hedaya. 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Mad how bulletproof pizza is

Absolute truth.  The only pizza I turn down is pepperoni, and not because it's bad.  I just can't drink enough beer to keep up with the salt.

Not sure what is meant by chips on a pizza?  We had a joint downtown that used thin slices of potato, briefly pan fried, then on the pie with light sauce, prosciutto, cheese and fresh rosemary.  Awesome.  Unfortunately the rona did that place in.

p.s. to my mother's folks it was always "tomato pie".  I didn't know what pizza was 'til I was 7 or 8.