Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr Marco

Pizza

39 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

At home I usually either make pepperoni, or with a BBQ sauce base with chicken, both with onions and peppers. 

Eating out I love calzone filled with pretty much everything! 

Not too long ago in a restaurant in Portugal I had a calzone filled with prawns, in prawn cocktail sauce. It was on the menu so I had to try it lol

Calzones are great, last one I had took it out of me though!

55 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Anything from Maurzios - heard he’s opening up a place on Belvoir Street 

This is great news. Must admit, I'd completely forgotten the name, having only once had one of his pizzas round someone's house when slightly worse for wear. I recall it being ace, though.

Had quite a few Dominoes of late because of work things and kids parties etc and it's not great is it?

57 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Spicy meat feast.
And before anyone mentions it, pineapple doesn’t belong anywhere near a pizza 

It really does, Hawaiian pizza dates back to 1962 and has been a staple pretty much everywhere since (except Italy, where they seemingly get arsey if you want anything other than cheese, tomato and possibly leaves)

Can't narrow it down to one favourite pizza as I love so many types and toppings:

- Bianca's in Quorn USED to be the best around. Haven't been in a few years though, and I've heard they've gone downhill a bit of late

- goats cheese and red onion, stonebaked

- zero love for Domino's, but I do like Papa John's, and even a Pizza Hut fat based stuffed-crust just topped with loads of their crispy pepperoni

- dirty kebab shop pizzas can be an absolute delight when you're starving. Extra cheese, pepperoni, smoked sausage, onion, peppers. Sometimes doner meat, yolo

- Shout-out to Zizzi's vegetable and artichoke pizza. Fantastic

- frozen wise, Aldi's Caprino Verde is really good. Lidl used to do a similar one that was even better but now discontinued. Chicago Town tiger crust has the best crust but the tiger taste ends there. 

- Can't remember if it was Chicago Town or Goodfella's but about 15-20 years ago they did a Chicago deep-dish style pizza absolutely loaded with toppings and it was brilliant but long discontinued. Full size, not those crappy microwave jobs

- once had one with parmesan, rocket and fresh crab meat by the sea, was surprisingly good

- Costco takeaway pizza is outstanding for the price and very generously topped

Barbecue sauce base can get in the bin, equally people that call a cheeseless "pizza" a pizza

39 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Ah do you think? I love the building at their Leicester restaurant.

Don’t get me wrong the building itself is great, it’s more the badly cropped print-out comic pics and memes in the window lol probably one of the best pizza spots in Leicester though 

Used to live opposite a pizzeria when I lived in Trento, they would make me one with sausage meat and aubergine, absolutely fantastic. Juices from the meat would all seep into the pizza. My abiding memory of that pizza is bringing one back to eat while watching us beat Man City 4-2.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Frozen from a supermarket the 79p ones from aldi are by far my favourite. Meat feast or margerita. Take away papa John's Italian sausage and spicy beef, a belter. 

I like Papa John's but the one in Birmingham I've had loads from when round our friends' gaff is definitely better than the one in Leicester, which makes literally no sense as it's a franchise and therefore should be identical, no?

17 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Years ago I went to a place in Verona and they literally put chips on a topping.

Always wanted to go back.

Pretty standard in Italy, used to go to my local pizzeria in Bergamo and have sausage with chips on pizza ordered in a strong Lestoh accent. Exotic.

10 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I like Papa John's but the one in Birmingham I've had loads from when round our friends' gaff is definitely better than the one in Leicester, which makes literally no sense as it's a franchise and therefore should be identical, no?

You'd think so, but I don't think quality control at all franchises is as consistent as McDonald's (which seems to be exactly the same wherever you go). I had a KFC in Sheffield once, and it was absolutely nothing like any other KFC I've visited. They were using completely different chips (even worse than the standard ones), the chicken coating definitely didn't have the same 11 herbs and spices as everywhere else. Also they had flatout didn't serve milkshakes, and had run out of Pepsi Max. Fvck that place