Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr Marco

Pizza

Like, I love authentic Italian pizza, I really do. My buddy runs a great pizza company that are basically taking over Northants and South Leics. It's some of the best pizza you'll ever try.

However... Any Pizza Hut stuffed crust with a side of the bottomless salad and loads of bacon bits, followed by the Mr. Whippy from the ice cream factory.

I dunno whether it's the nostalgia or I'm just a simple man with simple tastes. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think you'll find anyone one here who's more passionate and obsessed with pizza than I am. 

I don't think there's such a thing as a bad pizza, I'll eat any except for maybe the ones served in them kebab type shops where they put way too much cheese on and the base was made 3 years ago. Even naff Chicago Towns or 59p Aldi frozen pizzas will get the nod from me but my favourite has to be Neapolitan. A simple authentic margherita cooked in a wood fired oven is one of the 7 wonders of the world.

I have 3 ooni ovens so I make Neapolitan style but it's more New York fare which I absolutely love too. When I can be arsed to travel again I'm doing a pilgrimage to Naples and New York and the surrounding areas.

Here's a few of my pizzas from last year

IMG-20210823-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20210821-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20210814-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210814-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210731-WA0008.jpg

IMG_20211218_155208_462.jpg

I have to ask, 3 ovens?

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Ooni 3, Ooni Pro, Ooni Koda

Do the odd pop up event and for family and friends etc

Any you'd recommend, I use a pizza stone on a BBQ currently which does the job but isn't always practical?

Just now, Zear0 said:

Any you'd recommend, I use a pizza stone on a BBQ currently which does the job but isn't always practical?

I used to do the same mate or a pizza stone in the oven but they don't get anywhere near the same results as an Ooni or Gozney. 

All depends how much you are willing to spend. I got the Ooni 3 as my first ever oven about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. Was only about £200 at the time bit the Pro and Koda are north of £400.

There is a new one out thats just as much but it looks immense.

My Ooni 3 was just wood fired and is great for making a few pizzas but it's not practical to use to make a lot of pizzas which I do from time to time and therefore I wanted one that was gas as well. 

If you don't want to shell out for an oven then look at baking steels that go in your conventional oven and Lloyd steel pans as these will help get consistent results in a home oven. I still do some pizzas in my oven at home as the Ooni ovens are geared up for cooking at 450/500c and the pizzas are done in 90 seconds which is great for Neapolitan but not for other styles of pizza.

We got one in the back garden, and use it to to do an overnight cook (Love a lamb kleftiko cooked all night) from using the residual heat from an evening of pizza, chicken wings, also other stuff as the temp comes up 

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think you'll find anyone one here who's more passionate and obsessed with pizza than I am. 

I don't think there's such a thing as a bad pizza, I'll eat any except for maybe the ones served in them kebab type shops where they put way too much cheese on and the base was made 3 years ago. Even naff Chicago Towns or 59p Aldi frozen pizzas will get the nod from me but my favourite has to be Neapolitan. A simple authentic margherita cooked in a wood fired oven is one of the 7 wonders of the world.

I have 3 ooni ovens so I make Neapolitan style but it's more New York fare which I absolutely love too. When I can be arsed to travel again I'm doing a pilgrimage to Naples and New York and the surrounding areas.

IMG-20210823-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20210821-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20210814-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210814-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210731-WA0008.jpg

Good to see a Chicago Town shout out.

After days of over indulgence at Christmas I had the worst heartburn and acid reflux type thing I've ever had, and eating a massive Chicago Town stuffed crust meat feast looked on paper like the worst idea imaginable, but gluttony got the better of me and I went for it, fully expecting to pay a terrible gastric price.

To my amazement, it settled things down beautifully, so I can only assume that one of the key ingredients is a big scoop of Gaviscon or something similar, and cannot help but think they should be making more of this from a marketing perspective.

I also think this probably makes me a shoe-in when the position of Chief Scientific adviser to the government comes up again

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Rain King said:

I should love Pizza, I love all of the component parts but put them together and I just don't enjoy it. I've tried many types and different places, even the Pizzas in Rome & Positano couldn't sway me.

Always the last choice for a takeaway.

I actually feel immensely sorry for you, this is cruel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rain King said:

I should love Pizza, I love all of the component parts but put them together and I just don't enjoy it. I've tried many types and different places, even the Pizzas in Rome & Positano couldn't sway me.

Always the last choice for a takeaway.

I find most pizzas a bit meh too. But the good ones are dependent on good bread more than anything, the fillings can't rescue a dismal base.

32 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ooni 3, Ooni Pro, Ooni Koda

Do the odd pop up event and for family and friends etc

I can get onboard with this as I have 3 different bbqs and plan for at least 3 more plus a clay wood fired oven by this summer.

• Like 1

Peter comfortably the best in Leicester. Nothing else really close that I've tried. 

I don't enjoy American style processed stuff anymore really (Dominoes, Papa John's, Pizza Hut etc.)

My go to from Peter tends to either be fresh basil, parma ham, sausage and mushroom or milano salami, fennel salami and nduja. 

I've got a bit of an nduja obsession atm. 

Edited by Finnegan

I quite like a Dominos style from time to time, bit of a guilty pleasure.

N'duja always makes me think of a girl from Calabria I used to go out with who was a bit mad and gave me some n'duja to take back to my family so we could have a "spicy party". 

Bloody love pizza. From greasy buy one get one frees from the 1* hygiene places to top of the range stuff, could eat them every day. I tried a couple Pizza Pilgrims home kits a few weeks ago, was quite impressed. Fortunately got them very cheap, I absolutely would not pay full price for them.

Best pizza I've ever had was in Croatia. Seafood pizza, was massive and absolutely covered in all sorts, went back two more times during our week stay just for it.

Had a pizza with an egg on it in Cyprus. Loved it. Tried to recreate it at home home ended up with a perfectly cooked pizza with a raw egg in the middle of it.

Edited by Kopic

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

IMG-20210823-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20210821-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20210814-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210814-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210731-WA0008.jpg

I probably had about 20 Pizzas off you last year and I can confirm......the best around 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kopic said:

Best pizza I've ever had was in Croatia.

I love Croatia for food in general. 

It's probably the perfect infusion for me because you've got all that Italian influence from a couple thousand years of occupation and settlement down the coast but then you've got the Slavic meat and potato traditions too. 

One night you can go out for a gorgeous Mediterranean meal and the next day head off for some hearty "konoba" meat plate. Fab. 

• Like 1