Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JimmyC74

Recruitment strategy under the spotlight 

6 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

It’s not just us, very few sales of unwanted players is going on. It just hinders us as we have so many.  lol

Contradiction?

We have so many, because Rodgers has given them contracts that they're not deserving of and has signed so much rubbish.

Vestergaard, Bertrand, Choudhury, Mendy, Praet etc.

4 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

Contradiction?

We have so many, because Rodgers has given them contracts that they're not deserving of and has signed so much rubbish.

Mendy? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

Contradiction?

It was a more a point on the state of the market, but it you want to take a lazy swipe at the boss, fil your boots, and why is Hamza in your list? He came through the u23  :blink:

On a side note, it blows my mind to think Papy has been here 7 years too!

• Sad 1

The club have invested in the youth teams and that fits into the owners philosophy of sustainable growth. We have some exciting young talent and should start breaking into 1st team this and coming seasons. We need the right balance between youth and player investment. I rather us not panic buy and stick to what we got🏆

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

If this passive attitude at the club continues it won't be long until we're relegation battling regulars. Things change quickly in football 

Passive in what sense? The club is progressive in many aspects, in the transfer window granted we are slow but that has reasons, even though we do not like them!

• Like 1

I think it’s looking like the ‘re-build’ will happen at the END of this coming season, not in this transfer window.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Brendan is going to try to get what he can out of this current squad and probably be satisfied with a mid to upper table finish.

Where the club goes regarding a squad overhaul I believe will probably be next summer, not this one 

Just now, Col city fan said:

I think it’s looking like the ‘re-build’ will happen at the END of this coming season, not in this transfer window.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Brendan is going to try to get what he can out of this current squad and probably be satisfied with a mid to upper table finish.

Where the club goes regarding a squad overhaul I believe will probably be next summer, not this one 

If that happens he will probably get sacked.

11 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Passive in what sense? The club is progressive in many aspects, in the transfer window granted we are slow but that has reasons, even though we do not like them!

The cold hard realism of professional football appears something many are not aware. 

You want quality it’s not so instant and we certainly don’t need squad filler this summer 

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

With this Squad I would be extremely worried if we don’t sign at  least 3 players, other than beating rubbish teams at the end of the season, we looked very ordinary against decent sides.

We are still to reliant on Vardy, and with the defence still very suspect, we have to address those areas.

A right sided player is a must as well.

2 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

If that happens he will probably get sacked.

It’s all hypothetical but depends upon what’s been discussed between Rodgers and the owners.

The Thais aren’t stupid. They know that we can only get so far with this squad and if we end up, say 9th or 10th, that’ll be satisfactory for the owners, I think, if we haven’t strengthened the squad.

I’d love to see some first team additions now. But I don’t think it’ll happen 

• Like 1

Just now, Col city fan said:

It’s all hypothetical but depends upon what’s been discussed between Rodgers and the owners.

The Thais aren’t stupid. They know that we can only get so far with this squad and if we end up, say 9th or 10th, that’ll be satisfactory for the owners, I think, if we haven’t strengthened the squad.

I’d love to see some first team additions now. But I don’t think it’ll happen 

To a point as well now anything 6th above is over-achievement regards of manager, with Newcastle that's soon to become 7th. 

6 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

Contradiction?

I am one of Rodgers biggest detractors on here but this issue transcends him. He can arguably take some of the blame for Perez,  Vestergaard and Betrand but how many other big money signings have flopped and been hard to move on?

Slimani, Musa, Silva, Praet and coming onto that list are Perez, Vestergaard and Soumare. Ghezzal could be argued as he wasn’t cheap either. 

As for contracts we have been a shambles ever since we gave Matty James 40k a week for 3 years knowing he will never ever be fit or good enough for top flight football. This same generosity has been extended to almost all of our contracts since. 

For all the good this club has done some selling assets for far above their value there is still a lot of work to be done, there is still a lot of naivety around how we deal with transfers and contract renewals. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yeah I mean transfer wise we just always seem to leave ourselves short. It's criminal that we still haven't addressed that RW position since Mahrez left 

Frustrating as it is at the lack of movement (as all fans want the club to move fwd), we have no choice but to be patient and get the right targets for the right fee, as we can not compete with the huge revenues the "big 6" bring in at world wide level, hence their salary base and our need to opertae this year on a one in one out bases (what is seems). This is largely driven I would imagine by no European football and the hit that lack of revenue will have on our balance sheet, so a lean squad is a must.

It baffles me that fans think the head coach makes the signings and hands out contracts... Rogers and his coaches will have zero time for any of that and the recruitment team, statisticians, and scouting department handle all that. Rogers may get a "what do you think of him?, want to have a chat...think you can work with him?"  And that will be as far as it goes.

Fingers crossed a bit of movement soon

Edited by berniethebolt

13 hours ago, Dames said:

Serious questions need to be asked that why a good chunk of our players that cost over 15 million pounds end up going on loan indefinitely and/or leaving for peanuts when we cant shift them on. 

A club of our size can’t consistently keep absorbing those costs. 

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed. I think we need to change the types of players we are going for and less " proven " which seem to be no more successful than younger players who will command less of a wage and therefore if they do flop its easier to move on.

Don't think it's purely about the fee though? It's simply about players that have been the right or wrong fit, or turned out to be not good enough. We've made plenty of £15m+ signings that have 'worked'.

Nacho 

Castagne

Ricardo

Fofana

Maddison

Tielemans

Soyuncu

Ndidi

• Like 1

Just now, Les-TA-Jon said:

Don't think it's purely about the fee though? It's simply about players that have been the right or wrong fit, or turned out to be not good enough. We've made plenty of £15m+ signings that have 'worked'.

Nacho 

Castagne

Ricardo

Fofana

Maddison

Tielemans

Soyuncu

Ndidi

Not arguing that at all but the ones that haven't worked we've not been able to shift on at all. Its the same process, we overpay in fees and wages and then if we are lucky we can shift them on loan until their contracts run down and/or sell for a fraction of what we paid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lad1966 said:

The club have invested in the youth teams and that fits into the owners philosophy of sustainable growth. We have some exciting young talent and should start breaking into 1st team this and coming seasons. We need the right balance between youth and player investment. I rather us not panic buy and stick to what we got🏆

Hmmmmm we've a long long way to go on that supposed investment. The future is bright but unless we are just obscene at picking up academy players very cheaply or free under the age of 16 then I'm not having it that we have really invested heavily in to it yet. We do however have plenty of very talented academy players coming through that have been with us a number of years and that's just as, if not more important as it shows the long term progress.

The problem is Brendan came out and made it seem to the outside world that we were going to have a transfer window where we moved a number of players on and brought new players with fresh impetus to challenge the first XI. If he’d have managed expectations then there wouldn’t be this much commotion.

In reality we were always going to have a transfer window like this but Brendan was using the “squad refresh” comments as a way to take the heat off him and deflect it onto the players during our bad spell last season. 

11 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Nacho 

Castagne

Ricardo

Fofana

Maddison

Tielemans

Soyuncu

Ndidi

Yes but none of those players were " squad " players. We waste so much money trying to pad out the depth of our squad rather than improve the starting XI which improves the squad in thr process, or buying raw " project " players thst command way less in salary and if they don't work out (like many of the squad players we've bought recently) then it's easier to move them on.