Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JimmyC74

Recruitment strategy under the spotlight 

18 minutes ago, LeePhilpottsBaldSpot said:

I think too much focus is put on transfers these days, but even I was hoping for some movement by now.

Rodgers responded to the criticism after the Forest humiliation by promising a rebuild this summer.

I hope journalists remind him of this if we do no business / leave it until the last minute.

No doubt he will then remind the journalists that it isn’t his job to be scouting, signing, and selling players

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The_77 said:

We’ve had several windows to sort out a bloated squad and it doesn’t seem like we’re much closer to doing anything about it. 

Might be hysteria, but I am certainly getting the sense that things are starting to happen, albeit glacially

• Like 2

The closer to deadline day we get the more pressure builds on us to get rid of the players we need to shift. Clubs know this and they're using it to lower the price. It's also possible we're doing the same.

It's not unique to us.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Surely the biggest mistake we've made is being so desperate to hire a specific person as head of recruitment, that we've let them strengthen their current team before joining us after the window closes... in what is probably our most important transfer window in years.

There's so so many talented, young recruitment heads we could have targetted from all over Europe, but no, we've gone for one who has done so so at a number of Premier League teams, and in the process let him work his notice meaning he'll have no impact until January here.

I know there's the old 'business was already worked on' and that's fine, but bringing in a new head immediately might have opened up new and better business for us.

...you would have thought that, when we agreed to bring him (Martyn Glover) to our club, we would have been aware of his situation, which prevented him from taking up the position right away!!!

There are some people in the club who have taken their eyes off the ball and that could also refer to Khun Top. Sitting back and admiring what you have achieved only leads you to be overtaken by clubs more eager and committed to emulating what you have previously done.

What is our fascination with Southampton, so far nothing we have taken from that club has advanced us forward, on the contrary, we have created a situation where they are a drain on our meagre resources, and it needs to stop

• Like 2

The thing that annoys me the most about leaving deals late is that you can guarantee if we don’t make a signing until the end of July then come our first fixture in August Rodgers will roll out the 'he hasn't had much of a preseason and hasn't had the time to get used to the intensity we like to play at' etc etc

It just gives him excuses to defend a poor start. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I find the lack of communication with the fans astonishing. Yes, I understand that the club won't being going into intricate detail in regards to what's happening but even just a little update on the state of play would be nice. 

If we understand things aren't quite going to plan because of X, Y and Z but people are perhaps working tirelessly to address this at least that helps with speculation and if anything, builds a bit of togetherness with the fans. 

It feels like we're just being treated like mugs. Told last season there was a rebuild and then absolute radio silence so far. Shocking in my opinion. You'd also think with season ticket and membership sales they'd at least want to raise hopes a little. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, lee7 said:

The thing that annoys me the most about leaving deals late is that you can guarantee if we don’t make a signing until the end of July then come our first fixture in August Rodgers will roll out the 'he hasn't had much of a preseason and hasn't had the time to get used to the intensity we like to play at' etc etc

It just gives him excuses to defend a poor start. 

You'd like to think this simply wouldn't wash with fans if indeed it was ever used as an excuse.  

Other than Tielemans we could well have a very similar starting 11 as at the end of the last season where we performed well, albeit in games that didn't matter a whole lot.  Any players arriving late can be integrated gradually which should be much easier without European games.

No excuses for me.    

We've a lot to move on player wise and I'm optimistic once some of the those players move we'll see incomings.  I'd rather they were the right signings arriving later than shite arriving now. 

Of course, I could well be entirely mistaken and in a month's time I will be seething as Perez starts on the right wing. 

43 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Might be hysteria, but I am certainly getting the sense that things are starting to happen, albeit glacially

In keeping with your glacial theme I am hopeful that things will start to snowball once fringe players are moved along ☃️

2 hours ago, Pinkman said:

Think our recruitment is the most overhyped in the country. Yes, we have done some brilliant business in the past, but the media seem to forget some of the money that we've pissed players on, mainly because they remember that we signed Vardy and Mahrez for small fees nearly a decade ago, and due to Man Utd's sheer incompetence, we robbed them for Maguire.

Over the last six years, we've signed Islam Slimani, Adrien Silva, Ahmed Musa, Nampalys Mendy, Rachid Ghezzal, Vicente Iborra, Danny Ward, Ayoze Perez, Filip Benković, Yannik Vestergaard and Boubakary Soumare, a combined sum of £200 million. Whilst it's true, it's impossible for every signing to be a success, our recruitment is average at best nowadays.

I agree with the sentiment but I'm not sure Perez belongs in that list tbh. He's never been sensational but he was a major part of a team that finished 5th twice and won the FA Cup. He didn't get much of a look-in last season but those other two seasons were probably worth the £30m fee. Not outstanding but not atrocious either.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bordersfox said:

In keeping with your glacial theme I am hopeful that things will start to snowball once fringe players are moved along ☃️

I concur, they really could do with getting their skates on  :colder:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

We were never going to get an avalanche of new players anyway, more of an old man dribble.

• Haha 1

The worst thing for me is they’ve obviously got some targets. Act on it. There’s no way after everything that Rodgers said about a squad overhaul that we don’t have targets in mind. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinkman said:

Think our recruitment is the most overhyped in the country. Yes, we have done some brilliant business in the past, but the media seem to forget some of the money that we've pissed players on, mainly because they remember that we signed Vardy and Mahrez for small fees nearly a decade ago, and due to Man Utd's sheer incompetence, we robbed them for Maguire.

Over the last six years, we've signed Islam Slimani, Adrien Silva, Ahmed Musa, Nampalys Mendy, Rachid Ghezzal, Vicente Iborra, Danny Ward, Ayoze Perez, Filip Benković, Yannik Vestergaard and Boubakary Soumare, a combined sum of £200 million. Whilst it's true, it's impossible for every signing to be a success, our recruitment is average at best nowadays.

As well as James Maddison, Wilfried N’Didi, Wesley Fofana, Jonny Evans, Ricardo, Timothy Castagne, James Justin, Kelechi Iheanacho, Patson Daka….

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bert said:

The worst thing for me is they’ve obviously got some targets. Act on it. There’s no way after everything that Rodgers said about a squad overhaul that we don’t have targets in mind. 

I think we are playing a patient game because of the situation of our number one targets. It could work out perfectly or it could crash and burn. 

I think we clearly have a rw, cm and cb that we are confident of landing but are playing a game of dominos. 

Wouldnt surprise me if we were simply aiming to get Colwill, kocku and the rw im unsure of. I would have said CDK but my guess is that Leeds have upped the value now and have probably pushed us out of the deal as we dont see value at that price.  Hopefully its Bourigeaud and this leaves us with some cash to pick up lookman. 

I look at it this way, if the club sat down with Brendan and he said these are my number 1 targets in each position and all of them are still available... if the message from those clubs was other things need to happen first, why would we be racing to do anything,.

Kocku we could grab now but we cant if youri stays. as we simply wouldnt need him. If colwill goes somewhere else I will be terrified because I dont like the idea of picking up someone further down our list again.  

But the point is, we arent going to sign someone second best whilst the first choices are available. Its frustrating but we need to be patient. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

I concur, they really could do with getting their skates on  :colder:

Hmm we're skating on thin ice at the moment.

1 hour ago, -sodapop said:

I mean Southampton has done a great job both in recruiting and clearing out deadwood (cough) in the last few windows - hopefully Glover can continue that form as he moves over to us

Glover won't have any input in to outgoings, that's solely Rudkin's remit.

It's not even the lack of immediate signings that's getting to me because regardless of how our outgoings situation looks like, the club would've identified targets to go for this summer. Its the fact we've had no reliable news/ links bar CDK whatsoever

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

It's not even the lack of immediate signings that's getting to me because regardless of how our outgoings situation looks like, the club would've identified targets to go for this summer. Its the fact we've had no reliable news/ links bar CDK whatsoever

Lmao if it comes to more than 5.50p we ain't biding.i dont think we trust Rodgers.