Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Jakub Stolarczyk (loan)

Just now, Collymore said:

Do we actually need a keeper? Just have Ward and Iverson with one of the youngsters on stand by. 

The chances of a third keeper seeing game time is so remotely low anyway... 

Exactly what i was thinking, I Don't think Jakupovic played again once Ward was signed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Do we actually need a keeper? Just have Ward and Iverson with one of the youngsters on stand by. 

Like you say 3rd choice keepers very rarely play anyway

But they are used to help out with drills in training for both keepers and strikers, coaching youngsters etc.

When we have just lost both Kasper and Jakupovic, we have lost a lot of experience in the goalkeeping department at the club

Someone like Foster on a cheap 1 year deal (minus the vlogs) would be good to have around the club when we are entering a period of uncertainty in the goalkeeping department

Especially when you consider our current two choices are Ward who has just 101 senior club appearances pretty much all in the EFL and has barely played for about 5 years, and Iversen who whilst 25 is still learning and has 163 senior club appearances pretty much all in the EFL as well

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I could be a bit behind the times as I have to admit I don't pay attention as much now... but I think PL rules say you have to name 3 keepers and if you don't then you lose the squad space. Since U21s or whatever it is don't have to be registered its seen as a waste of a squad space.

I have always wondered why you can't just register say... Nacho as a keeper who sometimes plays emergency striker but that's the kind of thing that justifies the existence of fat cat committees and boring detail dull committees and basically jobs for the boys.

Essentially it works for young keepers as they get to go on loan, experience something new, grow as people, maybe play some games in a new environment but certainly train in a different environment (and perhaps appreciate seagrave more?) but also for the journeyman professional third choice keeper as it creates a false demand for goalkeepers who will never play but are good characters and mentors and influencers.

Like I say it might have changed but that was why NP (I think?) wanted Jakupovic and partly why he's been kept around. My timings are probably way off. See also Schwarzer here and various keepers at particularly Manchester United and Chelsea over the years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I'm not ITK by the way and I'm out of touch with where he is but Ben Foster is exactly the kind of guy I see us going for. Maybe not this year.

Free agent now, so would be available, he was apparently only on £30k a week at Watford as well which is not much more than what Jakupovic was on

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Free agent now, so would be available, he was apparently only on £30k a week at Watford as well which is not much more than what Jakupovic was on

Well I've not heard anything other than some pub talk from someone who is very connected at West Ham who reckoned BF is after exactly this sort of gig, so its all percentages but we're going to be in for that sort of profile of player.

One of Iverson/Stolarcyck will stay around and with KS gone and DW clearly not going to be here long term (in my view) - BF would seem to be a good mentor. But one of many likely available.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I had this thought but you have to consider that ward is just recovering from an injury. If he were to aggravate it and be out for a sustained period, you are one red card or broken wrist away from relying on a kid who hasnt had any experience. 

It would be asking for trouble and the club would be criticized. You have to ask yourself if that scenario happened, would you prefer a seasoned professional like Foster or Brad Young playing his first competitive game?  We as a fan base should understand the need to prepare for the worst. Its the same reason we would bring in a 5th cb over relying on Ben Nelson to step in against man city in an emergency. 

Plus as others have said, the experience on the training ground is huge, its almost like having a second coach. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gazza M said:

Really don't need a senior 3rd choice. Waste of time. 

Really do……ward was injured recently so then Iversen only? No chance - we need 3 and an experienced one too if Iversen is one of the three -Foster makes a lot of sense 

It simply has to be an older head who is happy to play 3rd choice, get a few cup runs and pick up some money. It will also be fantastic to bring some experience and teaching in for Iversen. As above, we are two GK injuries away from a major crisis. Even one being injured leaves our backup option light. As much as I like to promote youth but at GK that is very daunting.

• Haha 1

Another reason for needing an experienced 3....

When the world cup comes, we wont have a goalkeeper in training for 5 weeks, and we'll be playing a decent amount of 'friendlies' in that time too. 

• Like 3

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Hasn’t our well regarded youth prospect not deserving of a chance?

Dunno. I rate Jakub higher tbh and he’s off out on loan!

I’d certainly give him the chance, sure and I’d love him to hold down the spot but neither fill me with confidence in all honesty.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AjcW said:

When the world cup comes, we wont have a goalkeeper in training for 5 weeks, and we'll be playing a decent amount of 'friendlies' in that time too. 

Unless Brad Young is off on loan as well I'm sure he could play. Signing someone on 20/30k p/w to do training drills and play friendlies just doesn't sit right with me at all haha.

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

I hadnt thought about that much actually. I assume lots of behind closed door games.  This period might be when we can finally learn to defend a corner lol

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, MPH said:

What’s Mark Schwarzer up to these days?

Remember when people thought he should start over kasper. 

Remember when people thought Hamer should start over kasper.

Never trust our fans judgement of a keeper :ph34r:

46 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I hadnt thought about that much actually. I assume lots of behind closed door games.  This period might be when we can finally learn to defend a corner lol

The sooner they completely ban any sort of heading in the Premier League, the better lol

• Haha 1