Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

Jeremie Boga

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Definitely do think there's something in that. 

A lot of assumptions that Lookman and now Boga are us hilariously not able to tell left from right. 

But as I said earlier, it's definitely possible that Rodgers thinks Madders and Perez are OK right side options and what he really wants is an option on the left to cover Barnes because without him he's stuck playing a 352 he doesn't want. 

If he thinks that, he's even worse a manager than I thought he was, and I have him down as our worst since Sven.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Exactly right,  this has to be it.  Still we should have signed Lookman.  What a waste.

Lookman often outplayed Barnes last season and is a PL standard player , this guy cannot be at that standard but obviously is a cheap option.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Because he’s cover for the left (crosses fingers).

Not a chance we get a RW in as well without another 1-2 departures. I really hope you're right.

I'm looking down the list of potential available right wingers and admittedly it's likely slim pickings.

Stengs has been the pits at Nice but surely he's more of a logical loan punt than Boga? He's gone to Antwerp for heavens sake.

Guest itude
16 minutes ago, Tanya said:

Yeah. Im pretty optimistic about that Belgium defender we are going to sign but these stats are dreadful. Full support if he signs. I truly wonder what the club sees in him. Pace? Good feet?

He has nice teeth apparently

17 minutes ago, Lad1966 said:

Makes sense, if that the case, do you think we will sign a RW?

No probably not because I genuinely don't think Rodgers thinks it's a problem. The only way I see us signing a RW as well is if Tielemans goes and instead of buying a CM we drop Madders back in to be our main play maker and we get a RW with the funds. 

I think you have to look at Rodgers preferred shape and listen to what he's said. He's explicitly stated that when Barnes is injured we have to change the formation. There is nobody else with Barnes skill set who can do what Barnes does and perform that role. 

Even when we've played well under Rodgers, he uses the RW/RM position as a sort of drifting, slightly off centre attacking midfielder who will sit narrow and allow a wing back to overlap. We play, at our best, in an asymmetrical fashion with Barnes playing as a conventional inside forward and a more unconventional "wide" right option. 

I think this is deliberate. We see it as Rodgers lacking options on the right but it's perfectly possible it's just how he wants us to line up and maybe he's actually happy about the breakthrough of Dewsbury Hall because it frees Madders up to go out there and he's objectively better than Perez. 

Rodgers was second in the league at Christmas playing this shape with Perez, he probably sees it as a pretty good option. 

However, as soon as Barnes has ever been hurt we've immediately sacrificed Rodgers plan A and gone with 3 cbs and wing backs because he doesn't trust anyone else to fill that role. 

I think we have to consider quite strongly the fact that Rodgers would rather us add cover at LW so that we can keep up our preferred shape than sign a RW upgrade when actually he quite likes Madders and Perez there. 

If that's the case then Boga starts to look more like a semi intelligent bit of stats driven business. He's a quick, direct, primary ball carrier who can and will fill in for Barnes. I desperately hope it's only a loan because he really isn't good enough for us to be spending precious little cash on. 

But when you look at it through that lens it isn't quite as absurd as it sounds. 

If we had any other manager, I'd much rather we go out and get a proper right winger so we can play a conventional attacking system with two excellent wide forwards. But if we're backing Rodgers and sticking with him (and the board probably are let's be honest) then this is probably a more useful signing to help us play consistently our best version of his football. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Edingleyfox said:

Sky sports saying we are looking at a number of right wingers

Zero is a number. Also, there's nothing to say that we are looking at a real or integer number of right wingers. Based on extrapolation of previous transfer windows, I believe our right winger lies in the complex plane, ie the number of right wingers we might sign is completely imaginary 😟

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

This is why we need to get this chap in.......

As we approach Thursday’s 11pm deadline, Leicester forward Harvey Barnes is on the radar of Newcastle.

It was said that the financially struggling Foxes may be willing to sell the Englishman for £50m with Newcastle prepared to pay £25m for his services.

Newcastle want to sign every good player, but they don’t want to pay for them. And nobody really wants to play for them either.

14 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Just watched his YouTube skills compilation and, yes, we should sign him.

And when it all goes wrong, don’t blame it on Rodgers, don’t blame it on Rudkin, don’t blame it on deadlines, blame it on the Boga.

he just can't, he just can't, he just can't control his feet

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

This is why we need to get this chap in.......

As we approach Thursday’s 11pm deadline, Leicester forward Harvey Barnes is on the radar of Newcastle.

It was said that the financially struggling Foxes may be willing to sell the Englishman for £50m with Newcastle prepared to pay £25m for his services.

Doubt that has any legs but we'd be resigned to playing god awful 5-3-1-1 this season if that happened.

8 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

No probably not because I genuinely don't think Rodgers thinks it's a problem. The only way I see us signing a RW as well is if Tielemans goes and instead of buying a CM we drop Madders back in to be our main play maker and we get a RW with the funds. 

I think you have to look at Rodgers preferred shape and listen to what he's said. He's explicitly stated that when Barnes is injured we have to change the formation. There is nobody else with Barnes skill set who can do what Barnes does and perform that role. 

Even when we've played well under Rodgers, he uses the RW/RM position as a sort of drifting, slightly off centre attacking midfielder who will sit narrow and allow a wing back to overlap. We play, at our best, in an asymmetrical fashion with Barnes playing as a conventional inside forward and a more unconventional "wide" ride option. 

I think this is deliberate. We see it as Rodgers lacking options on the right but it's perfectly possible it's just how he wants us to line up and maybe he's actually happy about the breakthrough of Dewsbury Hall because it frees Madders up to go out there and he's objectively better than Perez. 

Rodgers was second in the league at Christmas playing this shape with Perez, he probably sees it as a pretty good option. 

However, as soon as Barnes has ever been hurt we've immediately sacrificed Rodgers plan A and gone with 3 cbs and wing backs because he doesn't trust anyone else to fill that role. 

I think we have to consider quite strongly the fact that Rodgers would rather us add cover at LW so that we can keep up our preferred shape than sign a RW upgrade when actually he quite likes Madders and Perez there. 

If that's the case then Boga starts to look more like a semi intelligent bit of stats driven business. He's a quick, direct, primary ball carrier who can and will fill in for Barnes. I desperately hope it's only a loan because he really isn't good enough for us to be spending precious little cash on. 

But when you look at it through that lens it isn't quite as absurd as it sounds. 

If we had any other manager, I'd much rather we go out and get a proper right winger so we can play a conventional attacking system with two excellent wide forwards. But if we're backing Rodgers and sticking with him (and the board probably are let's be honest) then this is probably a more useful signing to help us play consistently our best version of his football. 

Rodgers is on the record for saying he wants a pacey right winger.

He's also moved Maddison off the RW even though he was effective there back inside as he'd prefer an out and out winger. 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

Looking forward to tomorrow when Newcastle come in with a 3.5m bid for Dewsbury Hall. 

It’s like when the Saudis bought them, they didn’t realise how much good footballers cost. 

“We’ll assemble the best football team in the world with our £80m”

• Like 1