Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

World Cup General Chit Chat

11 minutes ago, Stinky said:

For all the extra stuff going on outside of the football, this is actually a World Cup to cherish (OTT word but can't think of anything better) as this is the last one before it moves to a bollocks 16 groups of 3 format

In theory, it should lead to more exciting group stages. Pretty much every last game will have a team requiring a win. I was trying to figure a way that teams could collude to get a specific result and I think I came up with only 1.

A 1-1 B

A 1-1 C

Then if B and C agree to draw 2-2, then they'll both go through. Very much depends how they decide to sort teams on equal points though

47 minutes ago, filbertway said:

In theory, it should lead to more exciting group stages. Pretty much every last game will have a team requiring a win. I was trying to figure a way that teams could collude to get a specific result and I think I came up with only 1.

A 1-1 B

A 1-1 C

Then if B and C agree to draw 2-2, then they'll both go through. Very much depends how they decide to sort teams on equal points though

There will be positives and negatives I guess. One being if you lose your first game you might already be out before you've played your 2nd lol

Also in my FM experience there will be one game per match day so to speak to one team in the group doesn't play. If you play MD1 and win, you might be through by your final game so you've basically had 2 games/matchdays to rest players. As opposed to teams who play 2nd and 3rd match day. All a bit messy I know lol

Also 10/1/4/7 are perfect times really right now for kick offs. Dare say it might be more like 4/7/10/1am in 2026

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

A 1-1 B

A 1-1 C

There’s a reason FIFA put last group fixtures at the same time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgrace_of_Gijón

Edit - I thought it was a group of three, but it was a group of four.

Edited by when_you're_smiling

3 hours ago, filbertway said:

Game management is a nice way of justifying cheating. Game management should be,  changing your approach. Whether it be committing less men forwards, keeping possession. Going to a back 6.

Feigning injury, delaying restarts. It's cheating and I'd like to see it punished harder.

Eh???

2 hours ago, Stinky said:

There will be positives and negatives I guess. One being if you lose your first game you might already be out before you've played your 2nd lol

Also in my FM experience there will be one game per match day so to speak to one team in the group doesn't play. If you play MD1 and win, you might be through by your final game so you've basically had 2 games/matchdays to rest players. As opposed to teams who play 2nd and 3rd match day. All a bit messy I know lol

Also 10/1/4/7 are perfect times really right now for kick offs. Dare say it might be more like 4/7/10/1am in 2026

The time differences are part of the charm and fun of the world cup for me. Also I'm hopingto get over to america for 10-14 days for the world cup :D

Yeaah there's certainly pitfalls and elements of luck of the draw, negatives and pros. I'd rather they just left it alone as the current system and teams is perfect. At this rate we may as well invite all the countries to the world cup. Have it last about 8 weeks and just have a straight knockout. The minor nations can play in Qualifying rounds a bit like the FA cup haha

45 minutes ago, Raj said:

Eh???

Feigning injury is definitely cheating, delaying restarts is gamesmanship at best. Although will hopefully reduce if refs will actually grow a pair and punish it by adding the time on.

What other aspects of "game management" do you enjoy? :D

37 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Feigning injury is definitely cheating, delaying restarts is gamesmanship at best. Although will hopefully reduce if refs will actually grow a pair and punish it by adding the time on.

What other aspects of "game management" do you enjoy? :D

I love it when your 1-0 up with minutes  to go and they take it to the corner flag and p1ss around!!!

You can almost feel the pure venom and frustration in the defending team and fans!!

That's great gamesmanship!! (And our w@nkery!!!)

2 minutes ago, Raj said:

I love it when your 1-0 up with minutes  to go and they take it to the corner flag and p1ss around!!!

You can almost feel the pure venom and frustration in the defending team and fans!!

That's great gamesmanship!! (And our w@nkery!!!)

That won't be punished by time being added on though. Holding it up in the corner and taking 5-10 seconds to take a throw in is no real issue. It's teams that start time wasting from the 1st minute of a half. Taking an extra 20-30 seconds to take free kicks and goal kicks, staying down for "injuries". Accumulating that time and giving the other team a fair opportunity to actually create chances rather than allowing the other team to effectively kill the game. 

• Like 1

I have worked out the problem with the World Cup. And I don't think the problem is just that I'm old, jaded and cynical (although of course I am).

In the old days the World Cup would come round every four years and you'd see loads of players you'd never heard of and who you knew nothing about, playing in grounds that looked really different to the ones at home, and it was all glamorous and exciting. Even the grass on the pitch looked different. And weeks of having football to watch on telly was a thrilling rarity.

Now there's always football on telly all day every day all the time if you want to watch it, all the stadiums everywhere look exactly the same, all pitches are perfect, and the players are all the same preening, diving, cheating arseholes we see every bloody week.

The romance has well and truly gone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

^ well if there wasn't before there is now...

On 23/11/2022 at 17:58, StanSP said:

When will the first red card of the tournament be shown?

Stan, can you say "England have never won a game 10-0 in World Cup Finals"

lol

Edited by tom27111

I bet loads of you have seen this, from years ago, but Neymar always gets a lot of stick (yes, he over does the diving and rolling)

Grealish got a lot of praise for doing his goal celebration for a kid with Cerebal Palsy, Neymar did this for a kid with cancer.

As much as you might hate Neymar and Grealish, both did amazing things.

• Like 2

On 24/11/2022 at 20:20, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

I have worked out the problem with the World Cup. And I don't think the problem is just that I'm old, jaded and cynical (although of course I am).

In the old days the World Cup would come round every four years and you'd see loads of players you'd never heard of and who you knew nothing about, playing in grounds that looked really different to the ones at home, and it was all glamorous and exciting. Even the grass on the pitch looked different. And weeks of having football to watch on telly was a thrilling rarity.

Now there's always football on telly all day every day all the time if you want to watch it, all the stadiums everywhere look exactly the same, all pitches are perfect, and the players are all the same preening, diving, cheating arseholes we see every bloody week.

The romance has well and truly gone.

I agree with this. I felt the same when we first got to the new Wembley in the charity shield after we won the league. It just felt like any other big stadium, the old Wembley had a charm and character, it looked different and when you got there you felt that you were somewhere special. All the character had crumbled with the rubble. And gone we’re the grassy embankments we’d sit and while away the hours with a few cans, or cheer our coaches as they struggled along the road to get to the players entrance. Replaced by a huge bland tarmac and concrete surround. 

I’d also add the amount of football on tv must surely play a part. Years ago you’d get one match at the weekend then when the World Cup came along you had footy nearly every day for about a month.

• Like 1