Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

How would you rate Southgate's tenure?

Southgate   

113 members have voted

1. 1. Southgate

So after 8 years and 4 tournaments, how would you rate the job Southgate has done? Bare in mind who he took over and the state England were in..

Has he achieved all he could, or underachiever, or overachieved?

Edited by Koke

Err on the side of underachieved. 

The only big game he has won that we weren’t big favourites for is Germany and even then Germany clearly aren’t at their level at the moment. He’s been better than previous England managers at beating the teams we should beat but every time it’s mattered against anyone at our level, we’ve been found wanting. Fine if it’s once but not if it’s 3 times.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Whether people like it or not, Southgate will go down in history as one of England's most successful managers.

He has one of the highest win % ratio's and has won the most games as an England manager at major tournaments. That's just a fact.

The debate will always be about his style of play and who he picked but that's all subjective. I'd say he's done about par with the resources he's had. 

England have no divine right to win major tournaments and there are many other strong nations in world football. It's bloody difficult to get over the line.

P.S. I think he's actually a decent and honest bloke. Some of the personal abuse he gets in out of order IMO. The players seem to really like him.

100% spot on. 

World Cup 2018- Got lucky with the draw and against Colombia, lost to a really good Croatia side

Euro 2020- Wasted opportunity to win a tournament on home soil, shit the bed against an average Italy in the final.

World Cup 2022- lost narrowly to the first good side we met, played well though.

Overall tactics and team choices very hit and miss however

Think the Euros is the only real black mark tbf

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Whether people like it or not, Southgate will go down in history as one of England's most successful managers.

He has one of the highest win % ratio's and has won the most games as an England manager at major tournaments. That's just a fact.

The debate will always be about his style of play and who he picked but that's all subjective. I'd say he's done about par with the resources he's had. 

England have no divine right to win major tournaments and there are many other strong nations in world football. It's bloody difficult to get over the line.

P.S. I think he's actually a decent and honest bloke. Some of the personal abuse he gets is out of order IMO. The players seem to really like him.

I agree with this but the Euro 2020 is a black mark against him. On home soil against an Italian team who didn't even make WC 2022. His tactics are hit and miss. Southgate is a likeable guy but I feel he could have won at least 1 trophy.

He's won me over a bit this tournament. I personally feel he's been more positive this tournament and less conservative. Was pleased he didn't go 3 at the back tonight for example and I really thought that was good performance.

I get that it's down to fine margins and lost (again) but I really feel we were the better side and were incredibly unfortunate. The French will know they got away with one there.

Overall, I'd also agree that he's about par 

Edited by Tielemans63

26 minutes ago, Izzy said:

P.S. I think he's actually a decent and honest bloke. Some of the personal abuse he gets is out of order IMO. The players seem to really like him.

Doesn’t matter mate. I’m not at all bothered about his ‘win rate’. It’s immaterial to me. What I do know is that we lost again when it really mattered. Same as Robson, El Tel, the list is endless.

When we really play a strong international side, he fails and we fail. Tonight, I genuinely thought that might finally end.

Being a good people person is one half of being a good football manager. Knowing what to do to win important matches is the acid test. Southgate doesn’t know how to. In that respect, he’s failed when it truly matters. Like all his predecessors have, except Alf Ramsay. Do you think anyone is going to look on in 30 or 40 or 50 years time and compare Southgate to the manager who actually won the World Cup? Not in a million years.

The question is, can we get a WINNER? Someone who can set us up to negotiate these games that really matter and end up successful?

Thats the important question. Or are you happy with reaching a quarter final? Fine if you are. I’m not. I thought we had a great chance tonight personally.

Just now, The Horse's Mouth said:

I don’t really get how people can say this squad is better than the golden generation honestly and arguably the 90s squads were better.

Yeah , Shaw and Maguire are seen as surplus as club level, Stones is hit and miss. Rice is pretty average and Walker is past his best. 

Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Neville etc were all light years better than the current bunch on paper

Did OK. His biggest legacy, rather than navigating fairly straightforward draws in 2018 and 2020/2021, will probably be making the England setup something that players look forward to being a part of and that the public/media are broadly more supportive of. His strengths as a manager clearly lie away from the pitch and unfortunately the result of that is that while reaching a semi and a final felt like notable achievements they also felt like big missed opportunities, especially since we took the lead in both games.

Hopefully his successor will be able to combine the feelgood factor Southgate has helped to instil with some semblance of tactical competency and the desire/ability to harness the young attacking talent at our disposal.

• Like 1

Like Sven, he’s massively underachieved. But that’s no surprise when you’ve got a woefully average manager handling top class players. This crop of England players should have won a major trophy by now. I mean France are buggard, half their team is injured and we still were not able to beat them. 

England have the talent, but they’ve consistently got the managerial appointments wrong. The bloke was a disaster at Boro, ****ing Middlesborough…… he should have never been given the job. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Yeah , Shaw and Maguire are seen as surplus as club level, Stones is hit and miss. Rice is pretty average and Walker is past his best. 

Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Neville etc were all light years better than the current bunch on paper

From this current crop you’d probably only argue Foden, Bellingham and Kane being certs, and probably Pickford over Robinson