Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Sports Personality of the Year 2022

Ben Stokes 

Eve Muirhead

Jessica Gadirova

Beth Mead

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Jake Wightman

Think it'll be Stokes or Mead to win it. 

No doubt England's Women team will win Team of the Year if they still do it, which will be rightfully deserved! 

SPOTY lost its appeal to me when it 'modernised' to restrict voting to six named individuals.  When I first started watching it you had to send your vote in on a postcard, these were then counted before the event.  No phone calls on the night (and of course no such thing as texts).  I know its ancient history but to me it had more credibility.

• Like 4

Mead is clear favourite I believe.

If Wightman had won a Euro or Commonwealth gold, he should have won, sadly he medalled in both but not gold.

Even Stokes after the 3-0 win vs Pakistan, though has he been listed for the captaincy rather than individual or team skill, i.e. his knock against the Aussies at Headingly in 2019 OR Botham's whole Ashes series in 81 and Freddie's 400 runs and 20+ wickets in 2005.

Gymnastics, though a great result is a hard sell.

Ronnie is quirky in front of camera at times, probably deserves it for being the most gifted Snooker play ever, most Triple Crown titles, but doesn't sell himself well (didn't last time he was on the shortlist) and its no longer Snooker's day to the level it was previously.

Winter Olympics often forgotten 10 months later and she was helped by another 3 or 4 too.

TBF congrats to all

1 hour ago, The boy Linacre said:

Mead is clear favourite I believe.

If Wightman had won a Euro or Commonwealth gold, he should have won, sadly he medalled in both but not gold.

Even Stokes after the 3-0 win vs Pakistan, though has he been listed for the captaincy rather than individual or team skill, i.e. his knock against the Aussies at Headingly in 2019 OR Botham's whole Ashes series in 81 and Freddie's 400 runs and 20+ wickets in 2005.

Gymnastics, though a great result is a hard sell.

Ronnie is quirky in front of camera at times, probably deserves it for being the most gifted Snooker play ever, most Triple Crown titles, but doesn't sell himself well (didn't last time he was on the shortlist) and its no longer Snooker's day to the level it was previously.

Winter Olympics often forgotten 10 months later and she was helped by another 3 or 4 too.

TBF congrats to all

Stokes scored an unbeaten 52 in the iT20 World Cup final to take England from a precarious position to winning it to be fair.

11 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

What does personality mean in this context. Because surely Stokes and O'Sullivan are the stand out personalities in this list. Or does it mean something else.

It means sportsperson. So in this case it isn't a contest of how media friendly and/or counterculture they are, it's what they've done in the sporting arena.

Edited by leicsmac

11 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It means sportsperson. So in this case it isn't a contest of how media friendly and/or counterculture they are, it's what they've done in the sporting arena.

Still Stokes in that case then. What he's achieved this year in a much more competitive landscape than gymnastics or the like makes him the worthy winner surely.

8 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Still Stokes in that case then. What he's achieved this year in a much more competitive landscape than gymnastics or the like makes him the worthy winner surely.

Personally I think Muirhead deserves some recognition for finally leading a team to the pinnacle. The ladies football team definitely deserves Team of the Year.

Stokes can get all the accolades next year, Ashes year (which I am pretty sure England will win now) and all that.

• Like 1

Beth Mead is overwhelming bookies favourite.

Stokes obviously already has one so can't really see him getting another, not that it should be relevant of course (but is). If I'm honest, if you're looking for a cricketer who encapsulated England's renaissance it's Bairstow, despite his absence since September.