Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I had a soft spot for Liverpool when I was very young...I still have a scrap book i made back then of newspaper cut outs and panini stickers. I went to my first Leicester game at 9, but it wasn't until around 1990 when i went regularly that I would have said Leicester was the team I supported.

Posted (edited)

I was born in Leicester so for me l never had a choice - it was the City or no one!

 

And all the downs over the years just make the good times - as cap'n Jack says "more better" 🤣

 

I could never change allegiance but could stop supporting a club owned by a moral free country as Newcastle are for instance or a pure greed owner like the Glaziers.

 

In that case for me it would be Tigers.

Edited by J. James
Posted

Fair play to the people on here who have been open and honest, I am one of these people who grew up supporting a top 6 team because of my shyness, my naivety and because my dad who I love dearly didn’t really give me any guidance who to support so went with who the kids my age started supporting. 
 

I first went to see them play at the age of 10 and went to a fair few games being a junior (cheap coach travel and junior prices) but after only a few years found it a chore to go and that not living local to them just put me off. I started going to Rushden and Diamonds and made my home debut as a fan in 2001 who I followed thick and thin, home and away as much as possible, through the promotions and the relegations until they folded in 2011 :unsure:
 

After not going to United since early 2000s and supporting my local team I fell out of love for premiership football. I would see Leicester every now and again when tickets either went on general sale, I won a competition in the Corby evening telegraph or I could grab hold of one as I didn’t have a membership. Seeing them lift the premiership was amazing. 
 

People may know that AFC Rushden and Diamonds formed and had to start at the deepest depths of the pyramid and i do still follow them, however it’s nothing but park  fields, some with 20 people and a dog. I miss the stadium feel so that’s why in the last few years I now say I follow Leicester. Being 17 and swapping teams shouldn’t happen, but I would rather attend games than be an armchair fan and as I often do now, I’ll always regret not making Leicester my first home team..  
 

 

  • Like 1
Posted

My mates dad was a glory supporter that grew up in London. In the 60's and 70's he changed his favourite club every couple of years between the usual suspects (Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc.). The team that he ended up sticking with? Forest. Poor bastard.

  • Haha 2
Posted

I will add that when I lived in Scotland I'd go to Aberdeen games once in a while (saw Maddison play a few times) and now I'm in Berlin I watch Hertha a few times a season and follow them casually, but it's not the same as my relationship to Leicester other than them being shit at the moment and wearing blue

Posted

I'm ashamed to admit I had a framed picture of Kenny Dalglish playing for Liverpool above my bed circa 1979 when I was about 6 years old :unsure:

 

My first Leicester game was in 1982 when Gary Lineker became my new hero and his picture soon replaced Dalglish's :)

 

Must admit I 'flirted' briefly with Everton around 1985 when Lineker moved there. We were shit at the time and that Everton team were mustard, but I soon realized Leicester were my team and I couldn't ever change my allegiance.

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I wasn't really into Football at school, but as it was pretty much required to support someone, I would have said Liverpool.  Leicester under MON got promoted when I knew I was moving to Leicester for Uni, and I got hooked over the next few years.

You are probably 4ish years older than me (I am 40).

I had SO MUCH shit at school in Crawley!

I bet the Tottingham fans are crying into their hovis now with them having won BUGGER all in the last 20 years!

Edited by filthyfox
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, weller54 said:

When at secondary school in the late 60's one of my friends was a WBA fan, another a Portsmouth supporter.... Later in life the Albion supporter changed allegiance to Arsenal and the Pompey fan to Tottenham!!!..

Today I still have them as friends but continue to mock their lack of loyalty to the clubs they supported fervently at school 😁..

I cannot understand this changing of support for a team that means so much to you in those teenage years!

To me, they'll always be Albion and Pompey fans but they get very upset when I pull them up on the subject 😂

 

One thing of note…

All clubs have fans who drift…

Especially in times where those fans,feel they prefer “The game” of their other chosen club.  In the midlands,London easy & convenient ,due to access and travel.

 

60s-70s,while at Bentleys taking my Apprenticeship,had a couple of older colleagues,who were born & bred,loved LCFC,but would support either Forest , Derby or WBA,according to pitch-fortunes…

Then plastics,born in Leicester,only support Manutd,L’pool or Arsenal,because how big and well known they were…

 

Me…lived ,travelled,even stayed in many countries..

Always kept Leicester, & BVB,close to my heart.

I followed Everton in their Alan Ball ,Kendall,Harvey,days,and City not the flavour of the month 68-70, but soul with Leicester..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1
Posted
17 hours ago, weller54 said:

When at secondary school in the late 60's one of my friends was a WBA fan, another a Portsmouth supporter.... Later in life the Albion supporter changed allegiance to Arsenal and the Pompey fan to Tottenham!!!..

Today I still have them as friends but continue to mock their lack of loyalty to the clubs they supported fervently at school 😁..

I cannot understand this changing of support for a team that means so much to you in those teenage years!

To me, they'll always be Albion and Pompey fans but they get very upset when I pull them up on the subject 😂

 

Just no!

  • Like 1
Posted

Won't ever be a fan of somebody else. Can see myself becoming detached from it all at the top level (we're not the worst but we are a factor) and just watching local non-league. 

 

Everyone knows me as a Leicester fan so can hardly claim to follow another team and be taken seriously. Wouldn't want to, either.

Posted

I had no choice. My Grandad supported City and my Dad ensured that if I wanted to watch football it would be City and no other. At family gatherings all the talk would be about City. Aunties, Uncles, cousins (except for one) followed the City. 

 

For me, LCFC is football. Not sure that I actually like the game that much but the club is in my DNA. Never been any other club and never will be. 

 

  • Like 1
Posted
17 hours ago, TK95 said:

It's usually the other way round if anything where most in school would support one of the "big" clubs but when you actually start going to games and have a vested interest in your local team, that loyalty shifts

 

 

This just happened at our kids school in Shef. Mates kid has been Mancity then Newcastle, went the Wednesday cup game and he's in. He's only 7 🤣 

  • Like 1
Posted

Had a "heated debate" with a cousins mate who is born and bred in Long Eaton.

Most of his family "support" Liverpool...I.e watch them on the telly.

This dude crops up about how The Arsenal are going to win the league and all that sh1t.

Anyway one of dudes brothers pipes up " you only started supporting them after you realised Everton are crap".

Dude is 30+ years and never been to a real match.

To say I put him right is an understatement....i wont be on his xmas card list put it that way!!

YOU CANT CHANGE TEAMS.

FACT

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted

I was a Forest fan. Became a Leicester fan when they won the Prem (about 10 games before the end of the season so I could get on the bandwagon). Now I'm a Forest fan again. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:ph34r:

  • Haha 3
Posted
10 minutes ago, Raj said:

Had a "heated debate" with a cousins mate who is born and bred in Long Eaton.

Most of his family "support" Liverpool...I.e watch them on the telly.

This dude crops up about how The Arsenal are going to win the league and all that sh1t.

Anyway one of dudes brothers pipes up " you only started supporting them after you realised Everton are crap".

Dude is 30+ years and never been to a real match.

To say I put him right is an understatement....i wont be on his xmas card list put it that way!!

YOU CANT CHANGE TEAMS.

FACT

My brother in law and 2 nephews are Liverpool fans and have never been within 50 miles of Anfield. Disgrace.

  • Like 1
Posted
15 minutes ago, phoneticerror said:

My brother in law and 2 nephews are Liverpool fans and have never been within 50 miles of Anfield. Disgrace.

Thing is they will know every little fact about every cvnt player they have. Even in the reserves.

The sad bastards.

I've had a season ticket at City since Brian Littles era and I cant even name Citys first team who played the last 3 games!!!!

(We still play at Filbert street yeah)...and its NOT the age either...🙄

  • Haha 1
Posted
1 minute ago, Raj said:

Thing is they will know every little fact about every cvnt player they have. Even in the reserves.

The sad bastards.

I've had a season ticket at City since Brian Littles era and I cant even name Citys first team who played the last 3 games!!!!

(We still play at Filbert street yeah)...and its NOT the age either...🙄

Things like that baffle me. If you have that much of an obsession, you’d at least get to 4 matches a year minimum.

  • Like 1
Posted

I have been a LCFC fan for 46 years, but I also follow Monchengladbach (I have the shirt, scarf and bucket hat) as I grew up in Germany and they were my local team. But it is always City first and foremost. So much so that when I started to date my wife I had to tell her that I would always love LCFC more than her. She took it quite well, 25th anniversary this year.

Posted

Born a fox. Got dragged from Hinckley to Norwich aged 13. Never tempted to change teams to Norwich. Still travel to as many games as possible. 

 

Being in Norfolk. There is a lot of Norwich fans. An equally similar support here for the big clubs as Norwich, few toon fans around, only know a few foxes around the area.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...