Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

World Snooker Championship 2023

If I was Selby I'd just snooker the fvck out of Brecel tomorrow.

If Brecel is snookered he tends to just smack the fvck out of it - looks real 'hit and hope' sometimes and then he fvcks it up and lets Selby in.

Smart snooker wins it for Selby I reckon. 

• Like 2

Annoyed that I missed it live, but what an amazing feat to get a 147 in a World Final. I think the only way to top that would be in the decider to win it! 

I've never had a problem with the scoring side of Selby's game (nor has Hendry for that matter). He's obviously a brilliant player and break builder. He just gets things bogged down with the tactical side. 

• Like 2

Brecel towards the end starting to show Real lack of match play experience, things not going his way and all of a sudden hes smacking them about and missing pots by a mile.

A good night's kip, a celebratory 147 shag with Vicki and he returns tomorrow and wins at a canter imo

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Annoyed that I missed it live, but what an amazing feat to get a 147 in a World Final. I think the only way to top that would be in the decider to win it! 

I've never had a problem with the scoring side of Selby's game (nor has Hendry for that matter). He's obviously a brilliant player and break builder. He just gets things bogged down with the tactical side. 

Ad you say no doubt a 147 in a final is hugely impressive, think what the fair weathered blinkered fan doesnt see is that he will obviously go for a 147 if there is little risk and obviously has the ability to do so.  The 'boring' tag is more about when there is a half chance but a safety battle ensues instead.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kingfox said:

He’s proper stuck it to his haters tonight.

Break building at it’s best, topped off with a 147.

Fantastic standard in this session, fantastic moment.

And he got his head back down and in a tough final frame closed to 1, chasing the prize he really wants. 

Just brilliant.  Over analysed it last night in the final session and some of today but the guy is a great.

Same class as Robertson, he has 1 world win, Trump 3 finals 1 win, Ding no win, Murphy 1 win.

He has become the standout of this generation!!!

• Like 1

Selby wins now because there’s basically no pressure on him. He’s already created snooker history in this game. Even if he loses, the 147 will be the thing that is remembered from this game. Once Selby plays without pressure then he’s unbeatable as the only people who can beat him are himself and himself (and sometimes Ronnie). 

34 minutes ago, The boy Linacre said:

And he got his head back down and in a tough final frame closed to 1, chasing the prize he really wants. 

Just brilliant.  Over analysed it last night in the final session and some of today but the guy is a great.

Same class as Robertson, he has 1 world win, Trump 3 finals 1 win, Ding no win, Murphy 1 win.

He has become the standout of this generation!!!

The standout of this generation, especially over this format, at his best, he is the king of best of 33 & 35.

I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if he eclipses Ronnie & Hendry’s current record of 7. 

Luca may win tomorrow, but I think it’s going to take an all time great performance to defeat Selby over 35 frames. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Selby showed just how good a match player he is today.

I’ve heard pundits for years call Selby a great ‘match player’ but what exactly does that mean in snooker?

I understand match play in golf (as opposed to stroke play) but isn’t every game in snooker 1 v 1 match play?

What other type of play is there in snooker apart from match play?

@kingfox

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I’ve heard pundits for years call Selby a great ‘match player’ but what exactly does that mean in snooker?

I understand match play in golf (as opposed to stroke play) but isn’t every game in snooker 1 v 1 match play?

@kingfox

It means having the longevity to come through the longer matches on top most of the time by combination of skill and endurance.

At least, that's the way I've read it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It means having the longevity to come through the longer matches on top most of the time by combination of skill and endurance.

At least, that's the way I've read it.

Cheers. Just found this article that sort of explains it but looks like there’s no exact definition 

https://www.snookershorts.com/shorts/what-exactly-is-match-play-in-snooker

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

@kingfox

I think its a combination of things.

One is playing the right shots for that particular time. That might mean shots to nothing or safety instead of a difficult pot, knowing that a better opportunity might present itself in two or three shots time if you put your opponent in a difficult safety and having them force the error.

On top of that, its having the knowledge of how good or poorly you are playing at any given moment. Lets say a player has a tricky long red. A poor matchplay player might just take it on regardless and will probably miss if they are playing poorly at that point. A good matchplay player will think about how well they are playing vs the shot percentage. If they are playing well with good cue action they will probably go for the pot but if they are playing poorly they will probably go safe until they get a better opportunity. That all goes with types of shots too, like if a player was having a bad day with the rest for example.

I guess in summary is the ability to create something out of nothing when playing badly and going for the juggler when playing well.

• Like 3

Brecel went for, and got most, some outragous pots yesterday. He does seem to be riding his look at the minute and surely that has to change at some point. Think if Selby wins the 1st session today and takes the lead into tonight then Brecel will fold and, hopefully, Selby can turn in a performance we know he is capable of and win quite comfortably. Dont want to be worrying about the snooker whilst watching Everton get stuffed 😁

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

@kingfox

Was still asleep when you sent that lol 

@leicsmac & @Nalis have covered it pretty well imo.

It’s kind of the same reasons the likes of Selby & Higgins get classified as “Granite”. When it comes to the longer format of the game, at their best, they are hardcore.

They have the perfect mixture of game style, that is perfectly suited to the longer format. As Nalis said it’s a mixture of things, Selby’s A & B game is far greater than the majority of the tour, it’s that capability of scoring as well as anyone, but also being far superior than most with the defensive side of the game, that ability to flick the switch between both, is what makes him a great match player and so difficult to beat.

• Like 1

Just now, Nalis said:

Brecel on fire. We all know how quickly things can change though.

The talk after the 147 was that Selby would push on. In truth, it would be very difficult after the celebration to get going again today. 

Brecel could run away with it from here and be out of site before tonight.