Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

Nobody will win the league until Pep leaves. Or unless an exceptional coach like Klopp arrives, and even he managed just 1 PL tittie in 8 years. Pep got a stranglehold on this league. Arteta is amazing and Arsenal have been unbelievably good but Pep is a juggernaut that cannot be beaten.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Koke said:

Nobody will win the league until Pep leaves. Or unless an exceptional coach like Klopp arrives, and even he managed just 1 PL tittie in 8 years. Pep got a stranglehold on this league. Arteta is amazing and Arsenal have been unbelievably good but Pep is a juggernaut that cannot be beaten.

:claudio:

1 minute ago, Koke said:

agree with this, the only way is some how the Prem / UEFA or who ever gets their act together and rocks City a bit. But until then they will just keep getting stronger. 

Look at the players they moved on last season and they are still going to win the league. 

The crazy thing is they will be even stronger next year, they rarely miss when it comes to new signings. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Corky said:

Emery got it done. That is an elite coach.

Aware I've got an agenda here but I can't help feel Villa have been massively helped by the lack of chasing pack. For comparison here's our stats from similar seasons taking the last 12 games of the season.

LCFC 19/20: 13 points (a big collapse i'll give you)

LCFC 21/22: 17 points

AVFC 23/24: 16 points (albeit with a game to go)

Think the important comparator in those season is in 19/20 we had a Man Utd team that we're near perfect with 28 points (Chelsea similar) and in 20/21 Liverpool took 26 points. Villa have been fortunate Spurs have been as poor as them with 17 points.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Koke said:

I can't see anybody touching Pep. Klopp would have won the league multiple times had Pep not been at Man City.

To think Liverpool finished on 97 points and didn't even win the league, it's incredible.

Pep will win 5 league titles in a row next season which, again, is incredible.

Arteta has done well over two seasons, especially this season, to get close but Man City are relentless. Shame, as I'd like to have seen Arsenal win it but I appreciate how good of a manager Pep is.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Aware I've got an agenda here but I can't help feel Villa have been massively helped by the lack of chasing pack. For comparison here's our stats from similar seasons taking the last 12 games of the season.

LCFC 19/20: 13 points (a big collapse i'll give you)

LCFC 21/22: 17 points

AVFC 23/24: 16 points (albeit with a game to go)

Think the important comparator in those season is in 19/20 we had a Man Utd team that we're near perfect with 28 points (Chelsea similar) and in 20/21 Liverpool took 26 points. Villa have been fortunate Spurs have been as poor as them with 17 points.

We finished on 66 points in 20/21 and 62 points in 19/20. Aston Villa already got 68 points with 1 game left. I think Villa fans are unnecessarily obnoxious but they've definitely delivered and deserve their praise. 

• Like 1

When Klopp leaves it may take them years to get another decent Manager- look at Man U after Fergie.

the same goes for when Pep finally leaves.

Advantage to Arsenal as they have done amazing in getting Arteta after Wenger left and in only having Emery in between - It could have taken them many years to find a decent replacement.

How many failed managers have Man U have since fergie left?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

We finished on 66 points in 20/21 and 62 points in 19/20. Aston Villa already got 68 points with 1 game left. I think Villa fans are unnecessarily obnoxious but they've definitely delivered and deserve their praise. 

Really wouldn't surprise me if they lost to Palace as they're flying. Yep you're right the overall points total is better and you can't knock that but I'm referring specifically to the points being made that 'they've seen it through' and Emery is a genius, and Rodgers a prat - for a quarter of the season they've been as crap as we were largely.

28 minutes ago, Raj said:

When Klopp leaves it may take them years to get another decent Manager- look at Man U after Fergie.

Advantage to Arsenal as they have done amazing in getting Arteta after Wenger left and in only having Emery in between - It could have taken them many years to find a decent replacement.

could you see Arteta being tempted by Man City when Pep goes?? 

That job is hard to turn down for anyone. 

39 minutes ago, Koke said:

Points totals badly skewed this season as the division is utter dog muck at the bottom 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Raj said:

Man Utd are a completely failed business, held together by a superstar CEO who had control and gravitas over all the operations. Once he leaves, no one knows what to do, as we've seen.

Liverpool and Man City appear to be very well run businesses, can imagine the infrastructure is there for another manager to slot in and maintain standards. Much like Brighton for example

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Would defo be a good challenge.

47 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Rodgers would fancy his chances of landing that job I'm sure.

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Points totals badly skewed this season as the division is utter dog muck at the bottom 

For comparison - bottom 4 by season points total:

19/20: 124

20/21: 116

23/24: 99 (inclusive of Forest's 4 point deduction)

It's even worse if i just did the bottom 3.

Villa have done very well. The top 4 is very hard to break into and has barely been done over the last 30 years. 

But it's also been a season where Spurs, Man Utd and Chelsea have all faltered. 

17 hours ago, trabuch said:

But was not gone. It's tragic.

Not totally gone but very close and would've taken a few freak results to turn it into Spur's favour.

As someone else mentioned,  CL  for Spurs is hardly a new adventure and they lost to arguably the best club side in world football.

They had a go and with a bit better finishing,  might have got the result to take it to week 38.

They didn't,  and the fact its probably saved them for months/years of torture from their bitter rivals, makes it ok for all the many  Spurs supporters I know.

6 hours ago, Raj said:

Top 4 next season could easily be Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Newcastle.

Still not having it that this is a compelling title race. Man City have been behind once in eight games or something and regularly hit four goals. Barely any jeopardy.

They do have previous for nearly buggering up routine last day home matches but cannot see it.

17 hours ago, HybridFox said:

Fair play to Villa though. Yes they've had a bit of luck along the way but shown resilience to get over the line unlike our bottlejobs under Brendan

Emery is a class manager, makes you think clubs like Man Utd and Chelsea would be licking their wounds over looking the Spaniard.  Difference between Emery and Rodgers, Emery sets his sides to play with a high standard at all times, if the team put in a poor performance but still won he would get them in training early to work on the problems. Rodgers was too much like we won who cares and constantly clapping the players for poor effort. Rodgers is two faced arsehole, who loves the steal the lime light when the team do well, but will blame the players when it goes wrong. Whilst Emery likes to keep out the lime light win, lose or draw.

Villa will get stronger next season I think and may put together a title challenge. Could have been us if we acted quicker instead sticking with Rodgers.

I want a 6-0 Newcastle win, it to rain heavily again and flood their crumbling stadium and Ineos to announce at full time that they've changed their mind and are buying Reading FC instead.