Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Percy does have a point. 

Irrelevant of the absolute Ott statement, the level of officiating this year has been dreadful again 

It's been dreadful for years. Needs a complete change. Referees need to be accountable for decisions, there is no accountability at present. I remember terrible decisions in the 90s against us. 

• Like 2

Unpopular opinion - I'm glad that a club has called this out. Corruption within PGMOL seems pretty rife to me. If it's not corruption, then it's downright incompetence. Either way, shit refereeing is too often the decisive factor in games.

Edited by Tielemans63

5 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Unpopular opinion - I'm glad that a club has called this out. Corruption within PGMOL seems pretty rife to me. If it's not corruption, then it's downright incompetence. Either way, shit refereeing is too often the decisive factor in games.

Yes very true .

As a general point they are right but only seem to do it when things go against them 

I mean do Everton care ?

8 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Calling out the support of the VAR official on the official club twitter account is pathetic. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Notts Forest and Manchester United competing for the title of English football's biggest laughing stock.

Nah, forest fans will think they're still relevant enough for that because they won a trophy back when Callaghan was PM, but everyone is laughing at man United 

• Like 1

Heard the controversy and was expecting 3 crazy decisions but just watch clips of them and I didn't think any were stonewall at all, the first one is the only one were you might think yeah its a possible penalty. The handball would have been a ridiculous penalty to give and really makes Forest looks like idiots to try to use that to back up their argument.

Here they are 

The handball I've seen given. The third one too. But none are obvious blatant penalties. As @Nalis said, you'd think this was Chelsea  v Barcelona 2009 level pen shouts. Forest are so tinpot. Their whining and crying is so annoying.

Edited by Koke

2 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

It's been dreadful for years. Needs a complete change. Referees need to be accountable for decisions, there is no accountability at present. I remember terrible decisions in the 90s against us. 

Accountable how?

I was an advocate for VAR, I think it was needed however this isn't what I envisaged.

My idea years ago, way before VAR's inception was to adopt an approach similar to Cricket.

Each team starts the game with 3 appeals, if they genuinely feel something needs looking at by they can appeal, request it's looked at, if it's overturned you keep the appeal, if it's not overturned you lose an appeal, once you're out of appeals, tough, use them wisely, it'd give each team something to carefully consider and in theory would reduce wait times - things wouldn't be checked for no reason.

Edit - The counter argument to that musing would be;

I guess it still wouldn't necessarily bring the correct decision and I dare say it'd allow players, managers, club to put even more pressure to have the decision go their way.

It's a mess.

Edited by Matt

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Heard the controversy and was expecting 3 crazy decisions but just watch clips of them and I didn't think any were stonewall at all, the first one is the only one were you might think yeah its a possible penalty. The handball would have been a ridiculous penalty to give and really makes Forest looks like idiots to try to use that to back up their argument.

Trouble is every decision is subjective and next week they probably all get given by someone else .

5 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Needs to be consequences, now the worst they get put in the EFL.

Need to explain their decisions in a press conference, like all others instead of hiding away. 

Would it really make much difference though ?

Cannot change anything.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

I was an advocate for VAR, I think it was needed however this isn't what I envisaged.

My idea years ago, way before VAR's inception was to adopt an approach similar to Cricket.

Each team starts the game with 3 appeals, if they genuinely feel something needs looking at by they can appeal, request it's looked at, if it's overturned you keep the appeal, if it's not overturned you lose an appeal, once you're out of appeals, tough, use them wisely, it'd give each team something to carefully consider and in theory would reduce wait times - things wouldn't be checked for no reason.

People would still be moaning about the outcome of those appeals anyway

• Like 2

Be interested to see if Ten Haag still remains in the Man U job despite reaching the final, I can't imagine throwing away goal lead and having to rely on Var and a shootout to get them there, would have been popular. There's no way they win that final under Ten Haag, do go with another interim till the end of season and get a new manager in the summer. Guus Hiddink type figure on interim... though probably a tad old at 77 lol

Just now, Matt said:

But would teams accept their appeal being rejected if they really thought it a  foul etc ?

Still be relying on the subjective view of the ref and VAR.

And what if something is missed that gets brought up after the game that teams might have appealed .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Needs to be consequences, now the worst they get put in the EFL.

Need to explain their decisions in a press conference, like all others instead of hiding away. 

A press conference to say the reason you didn't give a penalty was because you didn't think there was contact. What's the point in that? It's obvious 99% of the time why a ref made the decision he did, even if sometimes it's bewildering to understand how he saw it that way. 

If relegation to a lower league isn't enough for you then you can only be rooting for suspensions, or worse, being sacked. The moment you do that on a regular basis you are hurting grass roots football who simply have nobody to take charge of the game because we've ran out of referees. Think again 

Edited by Stinkenzo

2 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

I don't totally disagree with this. Some of the decisions this year have been scandalous and could affect the league in quite significant ways - Liverpool as much as I hate them might lose the league because of the **** up at Tottenham. Neville and Carragher were not completely wrong today in their post match discussions about it, but I am sure if some similar decisions had gone against United or Liverpool they would be more supportive of clubs taking a stance.

• Like 2

I think when it comes to very close call decisions then instead of guessing or looking to try and find something wrong it then go with the original decision. I mean like in cricket, if the umpire said "not out" goes to third and their not sure they'll pretty give the original decision the benefit of doubt. If honest United fans I don't think he would have too peed if the decision went against them, most probably embarrassed of how poor they were in the last 20 minutes of the game, I don't think many would have complaining about the VAR call.