Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Premier League Thread 2023/2024

9 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

If Clattenburg believes that refs are influenced, deliberately or otherwise, to favour their "own" team when refereeing rivals, then it can only be because he did so himself.  Perhaps he ought to be investigated?

Is there not an obvious problem with the idea that refs who support teams at the bottom can't referee matches involving teams at the bottom?  Half the matches in the league involve teams at the bottom.  You would be restricting the available ref pool far too much.  (Especially if you take into account that any ref who supports Spurs, say, couldn't referee a match involving any team in the top 10.)  Perhaps the answer is to appoint only those refs who have no interest in football and who have never attended a match?  

Didn’t he actually admit deciding to make decisions to suit a particular game which went against the rules? 

Anthony Taylor regularly does Manchester teams when no doubt he knows City and United fans ?

Edited by Super_horns

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Didn’t he actually admit deciding to make decisions to suit a particular game which went against the rules? 

Anthony Taylor regularly does Manchester teams when no doubt he knows City and United fans ?

He said in the Chelsea V Spurs game that won us the title he deliberately didn't send anyone off. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42219327#:~:text=Former Premier League referee Mark,hope of winning the league.

If all the clubs hate VAR that much they should all come out together and decry it.

Not just when it goes against them like Arsenal also did a few months ago.'

It's been poor for everyone but some act like they have been the only ones affected.

55 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Difficult to argue.

Can’t believe I agree with Stan. He hits the nail on the head and alludes to one of the biggest issues in the game at the moment across numerous topics, people can say what they want, without any kind of consequence via various social platforms. Whether it’s any form of abuse, calls of corruption and and just making general rubbish up, people can spout what they want and it generates attention because everyone loves to feed off controversy and extreme opinions.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think Forest have truly done their legs here. It’s ****ing desperate, and embarrassing……. I’m sure it’s all come from their owner, the bloke a legitimate maniac. 

…with a history of threatening refs in his home country.

In his native Greece, he was acquitted of heroin trafficking and match-fixing, but only after prosecutors made some very colourful allegations.

They claimed a referee had his bakery bombed after refusing Marinakis’ requests to favour Olympiakos in a crunch match. 

And an Athens gallery owner says she once refused to sell a valuable painting to him. Two days later, a group of men stormed the gallery and threw cups of yoghurt over her. 

Marinakis denies involvement, but he did admit to a habit of visiting the referee's dressing room before important matches - something he explained as "just wishing them good luck".

Edited by Saxondale

1 hour ago, Saxondale said:

…with a history of threatening refs in his home country.

, but he did admit to a habit of visiting the referee's dressing room before important matches - something he explained as "just wishing them good luck".

as in ‘good luck driving home safely after the game’ 

They may have done it in the most petty manner possible, but it only felt like a matter of time until a club snapped in this kind of manner. 

Every week in the Premier League there’s shit decisions after shit decisions, it’s no surprise that Forest are pissed off. 

It’s just another indication on just how shit officiating is in England, whether it’s the on field referees or those in the VAR booth, I’ve never known it to be this bad. 

Having the likes of Dermot Gallagher, Howard Webb, Mike Dean on TV most weeks, breaking down decisions on whether they are right or wrong, just goes to show how broken officiating is in this country. 

No doubt if we get promoted, we’ll be absolutely shafted on numerous occasions next season by shit officiating. 

Then very much like Forest, Wolves & Burnley recently, we’ll be going ballistic in some shape or form, because a referee or VAR has fvcked us over. 

All Forest memes aside, though, I absolutely do think the refs audio with the VAR should be on the broadcast. 

If I got to redesign VAR, and I'm confident I could do it in a way the majority of fans would accept, one of the first things I'd be looking to do is make it more transparent. 

In cricket and rugby you can hear the ref / umpire talking to VAR equivalents. Not sure why it'd be such a problem in football if they've got nothing to hide and it'd help the viewing public understand when there's a delay. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Can’t believe I agree with Stan. He hits the nail on the head and alludes to one of the biggest issues in the game at the moment across numerous topics, people can say what they want, without any kind of consequence via various social platforms. Whether it’s any form of abuse, calls of corruption and and just making general rubbish up, people can spout what they want and it generates attention because everyone loves to feed off controversy and extreme opinions.

image.png.ee4201e61b75af70bfa582c715a531ca.png

Stan agrees with your post....

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

All Forest memes aside, though, I absolutely do think the refs audio with the VAR should be on the broadcast. 

If I got to redesign VAR, and I'm confident I could do it in a way the majority of fans would accept, one of the first things I'd be looking to do is make it more transparent. 

In cricket and rugby you can hear the ref / umpire talking to VAR equivalents. Not sure why it'd be such a problem in football if they've got nothing to hide and it'd help the viewing public understand when there's a delay. 

I doubt fans would just be ok with decisions just based on what they heard though tbh by the reaction when we have heard broadcasts before.

In those sports decisions whatever they are get accepted which doesn't happen in football.

Good idea and probably would lead to better understanding from some but feel overall it doesn't matter what is said or explained by officials most wouldn't go along with the reasoning.

8 hours ago, kingfox said:

They may have done it in the most petty manner possible, but it only felt like a matter of time until a club snapped in this kind of manner. 

Every week in the Premier League there’s shit decisions after shit decisions, it’s no surprise that Forest are pissed off. 

It’s just another indication on just how shit officiating is in England, whether it’s the on field referees or those in the VAR booth, I’ve never known it to be this bad. 

Having the likes of Dermot Gallagher, Howard Webb, Mike Dean on TV most weeks, breaking down decisions on whether they are right or wrong, just goes to show how broken officiating is in this country. 

No doubt if we get promoted, we’ll be absolutely shafted on numerous occasions next season by shit officiating. 

Then very much like Forest, Wolves & Burnley recently, we’ll be going ballistic in some shape or form, because a referee or VAR has fvcked us over. 

It's all subjective isn't it.

No doubt had the penalties been given and Everton lost they'd be up in arms complaining to whoever.

Fans and teams are biased and think everything goes against them.

It's why VAR doesn't really work - just another group of people making their own views upsetting someone and putting pressure on others to change their minds each week..

Edited by Super_horns

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

It's all subjective isn't it.

No doubt had the penalties been given and Everton lost they'd be up in arms complaining to whoever.

Fans and teams are biased and think everything goes against them.

It's why VAR doesn't really work - just another group of people making their own views upsetting someone and putting pressure on others to change their minds each week..

Then those subjective calls only lead to inconsistencies.

The handball incident for example, in a week or so time, a similar incident will probably be given. 

Then as you say, it’s why VAR doesn’t really work. 

Nowadays you’re just left going round in circles. Forest criticise officials, managers have done the same, Gary O’Neill and Vincent Kompany prime examples recently. Then they’ll get fined, officials don’t get held accountable, crap rinse and repeat decisions then happen and nothing changes. 

It’s spoiling the game right now. 

10 minutes ago, kingfox said:

The handball incident for example, in a week or so time, a similar incident will probably be given. 

Nowadays you’re just left going round in circles. Forest criticise officials, managers have done the same, Gary O’Neill and Vincent Kompany prime examples recently. Then they’ll get fined, officials don’t get held accountable, crap rinse and repeat decisions then happen and nothing changes. 

I think you can argue that its the obsession by everyone for everything to be 100% correct all of the time, that is ruining the game. It's why we have VAR in the first place.

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, kingfox said:

I agree and really should only be use for offside ( automatic ) and really if there is a howler .

Not as you say was that handball or not .

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think you can argue that its the obsession by everyone for everything to be 100% correct all of the time, that is ruining the game. It's why we have VAR in the first place.

It’s never going to be 100% correct, but whether through on field referees or those in VAR, there’s just far too many ludicrous decisions going on right now. 

Too many decisions are left as talking points on a weekly basis, if the officiating in England was to a good standard, then you wouldn’t need the likes of Dermot Gallagher, Howard Webb & Mike Dean on TV shows every week, breaking down numerous decisions on whether they were right or wrong. 

It’s become too much of a circus, especially this season.