Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

World Football Thread 2023/2024

On 13/01/2024 at 21:43, Col city fan said:

Just watching Sydney v Adelaide in the A league.

VAR is being used in every goal! Completely ruining the excitement and flow of the game.

One of my fave aspects of Leicester playing this season in the Championship is no VAR.

Get rid of the fooker and accept that some decisions won’t be 100%

It’s so bizarre how they use VAR in the ALeague, one of the biggest criticism of “soccer” from AFL fans is the low scoring nature of the games - then it always appears to me that they go out of their way to try and find fault in every goal. This along with other rules set out for supporters in grounds have ruined what was beginning to be a great competition.

If you have a look at the highest attendance for an A League game, not one of them will have happened since the introduction of VAR, it’s completely killed the game.

For the last 5 seasons, the average attendance hasn’t been above 10,000 for the competition, before VAR regular 50,000 + crowds for big games such as the Sydney derby or Melbourne Victory’s rivalry with every other club.

Not so long ago, Melbourne Victory we’re getting 25 - 30,000 every week, now you’re lucky to get 10,000.

I now go and watch NPL or state league games, the equivalent of going to watch non league football. No VAR, No Police, security just me a beer, a burger and some good football and depending on which game you go to you can get a cracking atmosphere too.

What is as boring as the VAR discussions is when pundits and sans say "if there was VAR this might have happened" and then go onto say but "I am glad there isn't"!

Makes me think if they did scrap it everyone would just try and compare any decision to if it was being used.

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

Granted I've not seen too much, but barely seen VAR used in the AFCON. 

Algeria about to go out, 11 minutes stoppage time for some reason to save themselves. 

AFCON has been more nuts than ever this time around. All the big guns, bar Senegal and Morocco have been shocking. Egypt, Algeria, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Tunisia all very underwhelming. 

16 minutes ago, Koke said:

Football today lacks individualism. They're poducing robo-athletes. No room for geniuses like Messi and Ronaldinho.

Screenshot_20240127_230056_X.thumb.jpg.e66cf62fe78476ec8719168bf552298a.jpg

This is a widespread problem. Not just in football but all walks of life. There's data, and metadata, and meta-analysis of metadata, and there's an expectation that you will conform to the statistical norm. There's a drive towards standardisation. The outcome is that the average shifts in a good way, but there is wildly diminished room for individuality and brilliance. If we're not careful society will lose the exceptional.

The other issue is that people are losing the ability to see the wood for the trees. They're so intent on looking for data and trends that they can't see what is in front of them and cannot act without the security of data. My recent experience of managers is that they won't do anything without numbers and won't interact with their employees. They've lost the ability to draw conclusions and challenge data based on their experience.

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Koke said:

Football today lacks individualism. They're poducing robo-athletes. No room for geniuses like Messi and Ronaldinho.

Screenshot_20240127_230056_X.thumb.jpg.e66cf62fe78476ec8719168bf552298a.jpg

When you do your badges in England at least the FA tell you to encourage kids that like to run with the ball for this exact reason. 

8 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Ivory Coast through on penalties v Senegal .

This after sacking their manager presumably thinking they were out of the tournament already in the group stages !

Very AFCON I feel .

Just read a very AFCON stat that the last 7 AFCON winners have all failed to make the last 8 in the following tournament.

I know a few are anti-expansion but AFCON could really benefit from going up to 32 sides, as would the Euros imo. 24 team tournaments and "best placed third sides" is a naff format. I don't think expanding either would extensively dilute the quality in the year 2024 either.