Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

13 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Seems like a few people are going to be annoyed by how Maresca wants us to play with players not being static in their positions and roles

Some people will never be happy unless we play long ball counter attacks. Not a feasible play style when 90% of the league will sit back against us…

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Interesting to see from today's game that both XIs played very similarly from a tactical point of view.  It felt very deliberate to me, but also seemed far more progressive than what we've been used to.

But it's clear that, even this early in pre-season, the players are adapting to this new way, which bodes well for the season - i think for many the fear was that we'd take ages to adapt to Maresca-ball, but clearly they're already getting it.

I have a feeling Enzo has realized it’s going to be much more difficult playing this sexy style of football with our squad compared to the multi billion dollars squad of Man City lol 

playing out from the back relying on the keeper to be a ball player was a bit scary at times today. Hopefully the squad adjusts to this new style quick. playing teams who use a high paced press style with 2 forwards when we have the ball at the back could cause problems for us. 

Very excited though for this season I think once it clicks it will be very giggdy goo. 

image.png.d9b0409f458ac854b5862e2dfd03e99b.png

Coady’s diagonal passes along with Ricardo & Winks’ combination play, is going to be key when it comes to starting attacks.

A new number ‘8’ and a few wingers are required, get those positions sorted then Maresca’s style of football has the potential to flourish fairly quickly imo. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KIRBYFOX93 said:

The players actually looked like they knew what their roles were, and sliding ricardo into midfield with winks is a master stroke. Enzo definitely has courage and the intelligence to think outside of the box.

I mean it's not that intelligent to play with an inverted wing back really, his Man City have been doing it for years and many teams Invert a wing back to get an advantage in the middle. Even Rodgers was doing it at times. This 433 / 3241 is close to Peps most recent formation.

I don't think it's intelligent to have a backup backup Goalkeeper on the bench or play Ndidi as De Bruyne but whatever it's pre season **** it we're elite.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RedSoxUK said:

I mean it's not that intelligent to play with an inverted wing back really, his Man City have been doing it for years and many teams Invert a wing back to get an advantage in the middle. Even Rodgers was doing it at times. This 433 / 3241 is close to Peps most recent formation.

I don't think it's intelligent to have a backup backup Goalkeeper on the bench or play Ndidi as De Bruyne but whatever it's pre season **** it we're elite.

it's also really just a variation of what we had a lot of success with under BR with a 4-1-4-1 line up, which would shift to 3-4-3 with the full backs pushing into midfield and ndidi dropping into the back 3, and then have the wingers pushing up front.

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Honestly I’m finding his tactics such a breath of fresh air, and it just shows how turgid and stale things had got under Rodgers. We are far more aggressive trying to get the ball back, there is purposeful movement, the passing is quicker and it looks like we actually have a game plan which we are executing. 

My only concern is the forward areas, and I question whether we have enough there.

We clearly don’t, at least not with current personnel and familiarity in the system the attackers are showing. This should not be a surprise to anyone, and I fully expect everyone to appreciate that addressing our defensive problems of recent years, coupled with a new attacking pattern. The two together are already a positive, but there is no hiding behind the fact we are at this time ridiculously light on attacking threat.

• Like 2

Nice one @StriderHiryu - the keeper was the thing that shouted out today (too me anyway) as it was not like Puel or Rodgers as just a deep pivot, the keeper today seemed to be expected to genuinely contribute in build up play. Was really quite good to watch, much better than I expected. lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Molson Canadian said:

I have a feeling Enzo has realized it’s going to be much more difficult playing this sexy style of football with our squad compared to the multi billion dollars squad of Man City lol 

playing out from the back relying on the keeper to be a ball player was a bit scary at times today. Hopefully the squad adjusts to this new style quick. playing teams who use a high paced press style with 2 forwards when we have the ball at the back could cause problems for us. 

Very excited though for this season I think once it clicks it will be very giggdy goo. 

image.png.d9b0409f458ac854b5862e2dfd03e99b.png

I have a feeling he needs to realise that. Whether he has already or not is another matter.

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Nice one @StriderHiryu - the keeper was the thing that shouted out today (too me anyway) as it was not like Puel or Rodgers as just a deep pivot, the keeper today seemed to be expected to genuinely contribute in build up play. Was really quite good to watch, much better than I expected. lol

Don't go to sleep too soon, you're getting the FoxesTalk equivalent of Match of the Day analysis in the next hour or so lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If we are going to go full inverted full back in possession to give us overloads through the spine of the pitch I expect the opposition will set up full quick transition and long ball when we turn over the ball and they will play it long down the channels.  As long as we are switched on at the back, that should mean we have every chance of getting the ball back quickly although it will be a fine line between control and scares 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Part 3:

On the Attack

High Press

A High press is not new to us, Brendan Rodgers used it very effectively at times during his best years with us. But with Maresca I feel it's likely we will see an even more effective version of the press.

SW6gH.gif

^ An example of a High Press leading to shifting play and creating opportunities.

6Ma0Bqd.png

^ Northampton start play with a goal kick and play it to their centre back... who is quickly closed down. As we freeze the action, observe the state of play. Who can the CB pass to? Every one of his "Passing Lanes" is blocked off. He can't even pass back to the goalkeeper because Vardy is close by. This causes Northampton to play the ball long, losing the ball and giving us control of the game again.

SQItaSv.png

^ When I freeze play here, observe the game state. Six Northampton players are within 20-30 yards of one another, typically the sign of a good defensive block. But also playing entirely into our hands. This means that we can create a scenario to try and isolate a free man or 1v1 scenario for the wide-forward on the other side.

Y0jXwYz.png

^ Here's Wanya Marçal-Madivadua receiving the diagonal ball. Look at how much more space there is between him and his defender compared to the other players. This is not the greatest attack in the world, the diagonal played doesn't really lead to a killer opportunity, but the thinking behind this passage of play is what I am trying to describe here. How a combination of all of the things we do leads to defending, control, space manipulation and chance creation.

Diagonal Switches, Block Shifting, Attacking the Half Spaces

giphy.gif

^ Here's a better example of the diagonal switch leading to an attacking pattern of play. With the play compacted into one half of the pitch, Ricardo has the intelligence to play a quick grounded diagonal to Marcal, from which he cuts into have an effort with his strongest foot.

oVJL8VW.png

^ I want to freeze the action here. We see Dewsbury-Hall point to where he wants the ball played. But from here we have multiple options. Marcal-Madivudua can:

- Play the ball down the line

- Cross the ball

- Cut in to the space that KDH will make with his run, dragging a defender out of position by doing so.

Take note of KDH's position here, he's occupying and attacking the "Half-Space," an area of the pitch that Guardiola is famous for popularising. Who is the biggest terroriser of the half-space in Premier League history? A certain Kevin De Bruyne. This was also the same area that Wilfred Ndidi started to attack in the second half.

5039c3809db8751859dd5dc56f929ff6_crop_ex

Excellent work as always @StriderHiryu

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RedSoxUK said:

You high?

• Haha 1

Many good things from the game. 

I can’t understand why so many were against Winks. He’s got the technique to do really well at this level. I think he’ll thrive from being the main point of the midfield. A lot of good things game from him. 

To be expected, alongside the good was a lot of rust/learning. If ever we needed a pre-season stacked with games against opposition like Northampton, this was it. 

• Like 1