Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

46 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Really positive article, feels weird saying that. Sounds like we've been doing a shit tonne of work on the training pitch. 

Cynic in me thinks all these come from the murmurs from us being under prepped etc. 

There isn't much substance to the 'undercooked' theory - most of it seemed to come following the cancelled spurs game.  The reality is they were doing double training sessions, and most of the team got 90 minutes against liverpool, with all but doyle playing 70+ minutes.

Whatever happens, i don't think fitness should be a major concern.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Really positive article, feels weird saying that. Sounds like we've been doing a shit tonne of work on the training pitch. 

Cynic in me thinks all these come from the murmurs from us being under prepped etc. 

read it again and know this 

the journalist thinks Enzo is captain Manering

that will give you a 100% different slant on the article

2 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

There isn't much substance to the 'undercooked' theory - most of it seemed to come following the cancelled spurs game.  The reality is they were doing double training sessions, and most of the team got 90 minutes against liverpool, with all but doyle playing 70+ minutes.

Whatever happens, i don't think fitness should be a major concern.

I can get a horse fit … but if he doesn’t want to race his fitness is pointless 

3 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

read it again and know this 

the journalist thinks Enzo is captain Manering

that will give you a 100% different slant on the article

Is the journalist Pike or the Warden :ph34r:

But I'm assuming Collomose thinks Enzo is just another Pep wannabe and assumes he'll fail..

33 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

I can get a horse fit … but if he doesn’t want to race his fitness is pointless 

Sure, but we're talking about whether the horse is fit or not, not what the horse's inclinations are?

7 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

I assume that you say this with a certain degree of insight. In which case, what interests me is, if this is known within the sport, how are we still able to attract Maresca - or do you think he is here in spite of this alleged 'virus'?

...just imagine if the virus was Rudkin, Maresca would perceive that it would not be difficult to quarantine and isolate the problem!!!

Over a period of time, he could believe he would eradicate and bring the patient back to good health

I actually didn’t like Enzo last interview.. It seemed he was elsewhere and not want to be forthcoming or even friendly with people asking the questions , 

This had nothing to do with his English..that seems more than adequate. For the official Friday talk it seemed disjointed and

somewhat unprepared…Even tired or jet lagged…

It even seemed he was taken back by the Souttar question..I don’t even think he concentrated and blurted something out that just didn’t fit..He seems he has some apathy towards the  squad and possible moves,for wished remainers are not being sorted quick enough..

Now I am surmising so nobody should make anything of it..He just seemed that he had come out of someone’s office and had not an agreeable debate that gave him anything to be happy about…Maybe the Coady result and nothing more to say probably pissed him off  from orders that he wasn’t  allowed  to give more away. Not being straight with press & fans on the last big interview before the W,E games…just didn’t sit right for me…

Maybe I was well off track..Probably I had myself hung on the drip too long…

we had seen for us dumb fans 2-3 classy interviews…Then when it first mattered,little clarity  & a smooth collections of interviews that  seemed also to piss him off..I thought he was going to stand up & leave..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

One of the lads I play football with is a physio at Man City. 

He says that emphasis is having full backs who are able to play inside (joining CMs) is absolutely integral to them being successful, which I know is covered in the media a lot. 

Luckily for us, we have some quality at full back and it should be enough to see Maresca’s plan come to fruition. 

49 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

One of the lads I play football with is a physio at Man City. 

He says that emphasis is having full backs who are able to play inside (joining CMs) is absolutely integral to them being successful, which I know is covered in the media a lot. 

Luckily for us, we have some quality at full back and it should be enough to see Maresca’s plan come to fruition. 

We have injury-prone Ricardo. If (or rather when) Castagne leaves, we have Thomas, Kristiansen and Justin as backup. None are particularly renowned for their passing or frankly their positional sense either.

Not counting Doyle here although maybe you could.

I might be proven wrong, but I don't think were THAT strong in the inverted fullback position.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, shen said:

We have injury-prone Ricardo. If (or rather when) Castagne leaves, we have Thomas, Kristiansen and Justin as backup. None are particularly renowned for their passing or frankly their positional sense either.

Not counting Doyle here although maybe you could.

I might be proven wrong, but I don't think were THAT strong in the inverted fullback position.

I was using our current options to be fair but agreed, that assumes Ricardo is fit (big if) and Castagne stays. 

Justin if fit could be the one who holds his position or just plays up and down the flank (similar to Walker), and the others do have the fitness to allow them to play a position that requires serious fitness to be able to get in and out of each position and remain effective.

Essentially, the lad who was talking about it seems to think it’s a tactic that is more effective due to the overload and extra passing option in a certain area rather than bringing a great passer into play, obviously Man City do have the talent to be able to provide both the fitness and technical ability into that area.

A lot of criticism about the period where we seemed to forget what Maresca had asked for, and focusing on the slowness of our back three, but i feel like Maresca is ok with that lack of pace (why recruit Coady, otherwise) - here's what isuggested in the post-match - thoughts?

I mentioned this elsewhere, but i'd be inclined to argue that they weren't caught OUT of position, but that they were caught IN position.  The way we play means that the back 3 are playing very high, that's the way it works - knowing this, it's the responsibility of the forwards and midfielders to protect the ball better and if we lose it, to recover the ball better - if they don't do that, no defender, even the super fast stand much chance, you don't want to have to defend running back towards your own goal - and this is what was happening, giving coventry the opportunities to hit those acres of space - much like we did against liverpool (for a bit).  

What maresca will need to do is to improve that element so we don't put our slow backline in these positions.  It worked for 45 minutes, so it can work for 90..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

Well that was interesting. Could just as easily have lost 3 or 4. Thankfully Cov couldn’t finish.

A promising start to the Maresca era though, with lots more still to work on. Our 3241 in possession was widely advertised, so Cov’s 523 out of possession made perfect sense for them: they could man mark our back 3 and Ricardo & Winks. But Hermansen joining in the play always gave us a 6-5 advantage and meant that usually we broke through the press effectively.

In theory that left 5 playing 5: our 4 plus the striker against their back 5. What I thought worked well in the first half was seeing Winks or Ricardo break through the lines instead of laying off to one of the 8s - that then gave us another 6-5 numerical advantage! Sadly we didn’t capitalise on that because our 8s weren’t creative enough and our wingers offered nothing.

After weathering the Cov storm for 20-25 mins in the second half, Praet’s introduction changed the game in our favour. Wilf had done surprisingly well as a box to box midfielder but lacks creativity & control. We resumed domination of the ball - not without giving chances away - and class eventually told.

In the last 20-25 KDH (poor in the first 45) & Madvidi (poor for the first 70) sparkled, as did Praet. Thought Winks was superb, even with the odd mistake. He looks the real deal in the ‘bumper’ role.

Just need upgrades on Vesty (Coady can’t come back too soon, tho Vesty wasn’t poor today), Wilf/Praet & McAteer now. And I’d like JJ to find a way into that back three for added pace and one to one ability. But all things considered a decent start.

Onwards & upwards! 🦊💙

Good analysis this thought I was reading a post by @StriderHiryuthank you

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Our defence was a big question mark, namely the lack of pace at the back. I think this is something teams will look to exploit because it's a clear weakness and something that concerns me. Even if Coady was playing, the issue would still be there as none of Doyle, Faes, Vestergaard, Souttar or Coady are quick. Imagine Soyuncu or Fofana in the same system? Well it's something we will never see. I did see someone namecheck James Justin and honestly that's not the worst idea in the world to me.

Or could we "relegate" Doyle to play as an actual CB and put Kristiansen in the role of LCB? He's got the frame for it, he's quick, he can defend.

Also wouldn't be against using JJ as right winger/ RM

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

Or could we "relegate" Doyle to play as an actual CB and put Kristiansen in the role of LCB? He's got the frame for it, he's quick, he can defend.

Also wouldn't be against using JJ as right winger/ RM

Yeah I was thinking about that too. It could definitely be done, but Doyle didn't look that quick to me either. He was the best of the 3 CBs though, and he made some nice progressive passes to Mavididi in the second half. Actually, seeing how they combined after just a few days was quite exciting. Definitely a possibility though!

I think people in the match thread were being a bit over critical of Vestergaard. If he had never played for us before and that was his debut, he'd probably be considered OK. But it doesn't change the fact that his weakness is that faster players will put him on toast and the way we play makes that a big possibility. In the Championship maybe it doesn't matter as much, but unless someone back there has pace, it strikes me as being a limitation to the way we play. @Lillehamring makes a good point though, which is that it's not entirely on him if the turnover happens further up the pitch and it's played behind him. The press is supposed to win the ball back fast to stop things like that happening.

Did you notice how much harder players are going in for tackles? That's deliberate because the idea is to win the ball back, not just defend. And also if we commit a foul it's sometimes not the worst thing as it gives us time to get back into shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1