Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Under Maresca

On 30/07/2023 at 23:36, CosbehFox said:

Can’t believe we are at the point where we discussing it a lad who got one goal involvement in 16 games for AFC Wimbledon is a proposition for us starting the first game of the season. 

The lad could progress but it’s a fall off and half by us. 

I don't think anyone envisaged how good Kane would turn out based on his loan spell with us the season before his breakthrough.

Not making a comparison of players, merely that loan spells aren't always a good measure of the player.

Found this quite interesting from Zinchenko in terms of relating it to how Ricardo is going to play for us.

Perhaps highlights the importance of getting that right winger in (Rak-Sakyi :wub:) to truly make the system as effective as it can be. Might even see Mavididi start there this weekend instead of the left. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Aleksz said:

Found this quite interesting from Zinchenko in terms of relating it to how Ricardo is going to play for us.

Perhaps highlights the importance of getting that right winger in (Rak-Sakyi :wub:) to truly make the system as effective as it can be. Might even see Mavididi start there this weekend instead of the left. 

But that system more than any other system only works when ever part of the movement is trying to the max, a single weak Point leaves it ruthlessly exposed 

is every part of our squad reliable on to give its all ?  do they all trust the manager ?, do they believe in his backroom ? will they give that total commitment needed to make this philosophy work ? 

this is a fascinating time for Enzo and his philosophy… he took a gamble coming here, I hope we give him at least 2 seasons to rebuild 

those expecting promotion as a minimum this season are not countenancing the mess our club has become 

there is a virus in this club and the vaccine hasn’t been found yet 

Edited by LinekersLugs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

New video is up! Much easier to make Videos that forum posts and GIFs, but I will do some of that in the future still. Even gave some shout outs to some of the FoxesTalk regulars.

Let's all just forget that I called it the M42 derby :whistle:

Crikey I didn't notice how careless Vestergaard was for that headed goal

Also Castagne have a word

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

But that system more than any other system only works when ever part of the movement is trying to the max, a single weak Point leaves it ruthlessly exposed 

is every part of our squad reliable on to give its all ?  do they all trust the manager ?, do they believe in his backroom ? will they give that total commitment needed to make this philosophy work ? 

this is a fascinating time for Enzo and his philosophy… he took a gamble coming here, I hope we give him at least 2 seasons to rebuild 

those expecting promotion as a minimum this season are not countenancing the mess our club has become 

there is a virus in this club and the vaccine hasn’t been found yet 

I'm going to contradict myself a number of times in what I'm about to say because the easy solution to this isn't easy to achieve.

The team that we have at the moment has a hangover from not just last season but the season before and maybe the season before that. 

A lot of them has lost their way and become disenchanted with the club. It's easy to point fingers at Brendan Rodgers for that, but it must run deeper than that as a change in manager last season didn't see any upturn in effort at all.

The best way out of this mess is for us to clear the ranks and start again, but there are a number of things stopping that from happening, most notably for financial reasons not one single football club, or even company, in the world can just clear out deadwood, not on the level we need and do we trust the manager enough yet to bring in the right replacements even if we could just get rid at any price.

The easiest way (like I said, not so easy) is to build a winning feeling again. To do that you need most of them to step up a bit and a tremendous amount of luck. If we start winning, while playing these tactics, go on a bit of a run, the media will jump in board, the rest of the league start to take note and the players we have left will have their fragile egos boosted again and we start to build from there.

I'll go on record now, I do not expect promotion this year, I expect us to be mid table with an outside shot at the playoffs at best. I expect more than a few people to be in for a shock as I'm leaving more towards this season being more Leicester City under Paulo Sousa than I am to Burnley under Kompany, certainly starting that way.

What we do have to be is patient. Unless we get off to a horrendous start which sees us struggling very badly, we have to let Enzo instill this philosophy, even if it's just for the next guy to take over from him. Reset the club, find the right type of players, give us an identity. 

I like the style we've been trying to play in our somewhat limited game time in preseason but just over half the 1st team are, at this moment in time, suited to it and most of those are the new signings. KDH could, and should have a good season with these tactics, Winks will look decent if everyone will accept that he'll do nothing flash, the new keeper will get us in to trouble at times (it probably won't actually be his fault, it'll be the player he's passing to at fault) questions still remain over whether Ricky P can and will fill the inverted fullback role, and we lack a no8 to help us going forward, if we're relying on Ndidi to do that then God help us. 

I'm not sure what I expect from this team anymore, but I've got a sneaky feeling if we win a game it'll be 1-0 if we lose it'll be 2,3 or 4-0. 

It’s interesting that a lot of the talk has been about us with the ball because from parts of pre season I’ve seen our defending is still very sloppy, particularly in the transition.

Peterborough bagged 3 against us, Leuven 2 and inevitably Liverpool 4. The teams we didn’t concede against us weren’t the strongest. 

I really do fear for us in transition if Ricardo inverts. Particularly given our lack of speed  outside of Doyle unless Enzo has a change of heart on Justin. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

It’s interesting that a lot of the talk has been about us with the ball because from parts of pre season I’ve seen our defending is still very sloppy, particularly in the transition.

Peterborough bagged 3 against us, Leuven 2 and inevitably Liverpool 4. The teams we didn’t concede against us weren’t the strongest. 

I really do fear for us in transition if Ricardo inverts. Particularly given our lack of speed  outside of Doyle unless Enzo has a change of heart on Justin. 

I think it's unavoidable that will happen to us until we get good at the system. We will probably be OK with it after 6 months, and probably only get good at it after a full year. And that's not taking into account the squad continuing to change, which it inevitably will be dependent on what division we are in next season.

It took Pep and Klopp a full season before their teams really kicked in. Even managers like Potter at Brighton, Poch at Spurs took a while. Ten Hag at Man United won a cup but only because they were carried by star players, we will probably see them far improved this season instead.

You can already predict goals against us:

- Winks / Ricardo robbed, played into the vacant full back slot and a goal results from it.

- Ball robbed from Hermansen when trying to play out from the back.

- One of our physically weaker players totally bullied off the ball by [insert massive unit of a Championship striker here]

- Set pieces especially away from home in the winter

But if we concede 1 and score 3, it's all moot. With this manager and system, once we get good at it, we will be an excellent team and well-prepared for the Premier League if we go up.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think it's unavoidable that will happen to us until we get good at the system. We will probably be OK with it after 6 months, and probably only get good at it after a full year. And that's not taking into account the squad continuing to change, which it inevitably will be dependent on what division we are in next season.

It took Pep and Klopp a full season before their teams really kicked in. Even managers like Potter at Brighton, Poch at Spurs took a while. Ten Hag at Man United won a cup but only because they were carried by star players, we will probably see them far improved this season instead.

You can already predict goals against us:

- Winks / Ricardo robbed, played into the vacant full back slot and a goal results from it.

- Ball robbed from Hermansen when trying to play out from the back.

- One of our physically weaker players totally bullied off the ball by [insert massive unit of a Championship striker here]

- Set pieces especially away from home in the winter

But if we concede 1 and score 3, it's all moot. With this manager and system, once we get good at it, we will be an excellent team and well-prepared for the Premier League if we go up.

Add in Castagne or Justin ball watching at the back post, both of them masters at it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I'm going to contradict myself a number of times in what I'm about to say because the easy solution to this isn't easy to achieve.

The team that we have at the moment has a hangover from not just last season but the season before and maybe the season before that. 

A lot of them has lost their way and become disenchanted with the club. It's easy to point fingers at Brendan Rodgers for that, but it must run deeper than that as a change in manager last season didn't see any upturn in effort at all.

The best way out of this mess is for us to clear the ranks and start again, but there are a number of things stopping that from happening, most notably for financial reasons not one single football club, or even company, in the world can just clear out deadwood, not on the level we need and do we trust the manager enough yet to bring in the right replacements even if we could just get rid at any price.

The easiest way (like I said, not so easy) is to build a winning feeling again. To do that you need most of them to step up a bit and a tremendous amount of luck. If we start winning, while playing these tactics, go on a bit of a run, the media will jump in board, the rest of the league start to take note and the players we have left will have their fragile egos boosted again and we start to build from there.

I'll go on record now, I do not expect promotion this year, I expect us to be mid table with an outside shot at the playoffs at best. I expect more than a few people to be in for a shock as I'm leaving more towards this season being more Leicester City under Paulo Sousa than I am to Burnley under Kompany, certainly starting that way.

What we do have to be is patient. Unless we get off to a horrendous start which sees us struggling very badly, we have to let Enzo instill this philosophy, even if it's just for the next guy to take over from him. Reset the club, find the right type of players, give us an identity. 

I like the style we've been trying to play in our somewhat limited game time in preseason but just over half the 1st team are, at this moment in time, suited to it and most of those are the new signings. KDH could, and should have a good season with these tactics, Winks will look decent if everyone will accept that he'll do nothing flash, the new keeper will get us in to trouble at times (it probably won't actually be his fault, it'll be the player he's passing to at fault) questions still remain over whether Ricky P can and will fill the inverted fullback role, and we lack a no8 to help us going forward, if we're relying on Ndidi to do that then God help us. 

I'm not sure what I expect from this team anymore, but I've got a sneaky feeling if we win a game it'll be 1-0 if we lose it'll be 2,3 or 4-0. 

We are going to have about 120% possession it will surely be the other way around? 

I think we’re at least two dynamic players short of making this work: 

an attacking midfielder with a bit of brute strength (Casedei)

a right winger, with a great first touch and a bit of trickery (Rak-Sakyi)

and that’s without any depth. Currently any best Leicester line up lacks pace and strength bar the mavididi signing (in terms of pace). 

Please for the love god let there be movement after the Coventry game. I’m fearful we’re not gonna have enough and are going into the season naively thinking we’ll piss it with what we’ve got 

5 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I think we’re at least two dynamic players short of making this work: 

an attacking midfielder with a bit of brute strength (Casedei)

a right winger, with a great first touch and a bit of trickery (Rak-Sakyi)

and that’s without any depth. Currently any best Leicester line up lacks pace and strength bar the mavididi signing (in terms of pace). 

Please for the love god let there be movement after the Coventry game. I’m fearful we’re not gonna have enough and are going into the season naively thinking we’ll piss it with what we’ve got 

Agree, I would add the attacking midfielder needs to have a knack of making late runs into the box and finding himself in the right positions also. 

But like you say for the starting 11 we are 2 players away from being there and from a squad perspective I would say only 3 away (2 wingers, 1 No.8) then the rest involves replacing whoever leaves.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

New video is up! Much easier to make Videos that forum posts and GIFs, but I will do some of that in the future still. Even gave some shout outs to some of the FoxesTalk regulars.

Let's all just forget that I called it the M42 derby :whistle:

Really great video, you've explained the tactics and highlight key bits really well.

Really intrigued how we're going to set up and fair against Coventry. I'm concerned of a version of the Liverpool game, if we can get a foothold early on, i think we manage to keep it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Really great video, you've explained the tactics and highlight key bits really well.

Really intrigued how we're going to set up and fair against Coventry. I'm concerned of a version of the Liverpool game, if we can get a foothold early on, i think we manage to keep it.

Same here!

One thing that is hard to judge is the relative comparable level of the teams. Take Patson Daka for example, he was utterly prolific in Austria, but how close is the Austrian league level to the Premier League / Championship. You don't really know till they come over and play here. So it's possible that our team has players that are levels above anyone in this division, or we might find out the gap is closer than we thought. Blackburn in the cup last year was very humbling, they didn't just beat us they outplayed us, but that was at a time when morale was low and Rodgers had seemingly lost the plot.

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Same here!

One thing that is hard to judge is the relative comparable level of the teams. Take Patson Daka for example, he was utterly prolific in Austria, but how close is the Austrian league level to the Premier League / Championship. You don't really know till they come over and play here. So it's possible that our team has players that are levels above anyone in this division, or we might find out the gap is closer than we thought. Blackburn in the cup last year was very humbling, they didn't just beat us they outplayed us, but that was at a time when morale was low and Rodgers had seemingly lost the plot.

We beat Tottenham 4-1 last season, you cannot take one result in isolation, last's season game against Blackburn in the FA Cup is not a barometer of how well we will do this season.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

We beat Tottenham 4-1 last season, you cannot take one result in isolation, last's season game against Blackburn in the FA Cup is not a barometer of how well we will do this season.

It's not a barometer but we've got plenty of clowns thinking that this division deserves no respect. It can serve as a reminder that we're not playing San Marino reserves every week.

• Like 1

We've already shown that we'll go long under Maresca, he's not as much of an ideologue as Rodgers. The idea behind building up with short passes is to create space further up the pitch which we essentially stopped doing over the last few seasons.

We probably are going to look weak in defensive transitions but with with 65%+ possession teams are going to struggle. Scoring the first goal has been a latent issue for a long time, if we're one up under Enzo I think the game state is ridiculously in our favour. Arsenal always fly out of the blocks and I think it's important for us to do the same.

We caught Liverpool cold before they adjusted, we can potentially do the same to most of the division. Had we landed Casadei and Rak-Sakyi prior to the Thailand tour, I'd be really confident for Sunday.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, shen said:

I don't think anyone envisaged how good Kane would turn out based on his loan spell with us the season before his breakthrough.

Not making a comparison of players, merely that loan spells aren't always a good measure of the player.

But correct anyway to make comparisons..besides so far this forum has a very poor history of picking our own or opposition players..since the day internet & forums had their first posts..We are like the dislikeable American shouting all the odds,and bumbling our way to get lost in the dark corner...Then having the audacity with a clean Hawaiian -shirt ,trying again...

We never learn..

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

It's not a barometer but we've got plenty of clowns thinking that this division deserves no respect. It can serve as a reminder that we're not playing San Marino reserves every week.

Thank god for that, we would get hammered..:ph34r:

• Haha 1

There were days we were really poorer than Coventry,seasons where we were stronger,but no matter our position the fans never approached the game with so much worry and apprehension...has today..

The modern football fan is either a top club,big head or an "Also ran" braggart,that whines & goes into melt down, when it doesn't pan out their way..

Where has the British wary layed back sacastic humour and balanced characteristics gone. Everything is spitting hate & doom & the besserwisser-know-alls, instead of being laughed out they now hide behind the right to an opinion.

Maybe we winklies are to blame,we have let the brood fermitate and can't be bothered to shut them down.Let them shout louder & destroy any reasonable debate...in all subjects .

Now the class bully attitude without regress wins the day...!!

That's how Boris and Trump came to power..ride roughshot,born on the back of "only me counts" Thatcherism..

Humour is long gone in sport.

Melt downs the norm so much they forget the actual game or competition,it's the Soap-opera antics outside the field of play that takes precedence..

Oh fcuk it,now I have done it..another Rabid,ranting response..,3  months laying in a bloody hospital bed does it.:tumbleweed:...I want my mom..

• Like 1