Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Diffco

Callum Doyle

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Not that I particularly want Cairney but they are different types of players IMO. Cairney has a good ability of scoring and assisting, especially in the Championship. Winks has an output similar to Nampalys Mendy. 

This. We currently need at least 3 players for the 8/10 roles. I’d have no problem with Cairney being one so long as the others offer some youth, energy & longer term potential 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

How on earth did you reach that conclusion?

Because he will want 2 years minimum and has zero value, plus if we were to get promoted at the first attempt, he will not be good enough for the Premier League in 12 months time.  One year contract then may be.  

8 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Perhaps Maresca feels the need to surround himself with senior pro's being a rookie manager. 

If he can get buy-in from influential figures in the dressing room, it may help him to get his message across.

I was also a bit sceptical about Cairney but considering Maresca's presumed approach, I guess it wouldn't be an awful thing to bring in a player who's spent the last few seasons working with Marco Silva. (I don't think Cairney, specifically, will happen anyway.)

Too many older heads will be a worry, though. We are losing a lot of experience so do need to replace that. But I think we're all hungry to see some fresh faces with potential - those who we can see develop and become top players before our eyes.

Edited by ALC Fox

29 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Our objective is to get promotion from the Championship. Cairney has been proven to be an extremely effective player in this division - if he helps us to get out of it, surely that has to be worth it? He also played 33 times for Fulham last season, which doesn't really support your assertion that he's not good enough for the Premier League. 

Cambiasso played for us for one year at the age of 34 (two years older than Cairney) and helped us to survive. Sometimes recruiting experienced quality pros can be extremely useful, particularly if they're augmented by younger players around them. As others have pointed out, we probably need to recruit three players for the number 8/10 positions - personally I'll be happy if Cairney is one of them.

You are missing the point I made about the potential length of any contract. For one year (as I referenced) then may be.  Please correct me if I am wrong but Cambiasso was signed on a short term contract?  To sign players on the way down and heading towards the end of their playing careers is repeating the Bertrand disaster, if it is for more than one year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

It's only repeating the Bertrand disaster if the players in question are useless and/or injured and end up making zero contribution. You seem to be missing that key element out. If Cairney came in on a two-year deal, helped to get us promoted in his first year, then in his second year was not a regular starter but remained a useful squad player, that would still be a million miles away from the Bertrand disaster. 

A number of ‘if’s there.  I would consider we having more pressing business to do before such an acquisition.

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

A number of ‘if’s there.  I would consider we having more pressing business to do before such an acquisition.

Here’s something you may not have thought of, I doubt they sign a player and only then move on to thinking about the next acquisition. Keep it quiet or every other team will copy us but I have heard we’ve been in talks with numerous players at the same time. Radical

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

No idea how reliant this account is

It's J dawg. So, meh. He's not reliable if he hasn't got a Threads account. Where the kool kids are, init. Twitter is soooo 2022

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 1

Purports to be a Leicester City account but refers to Man City as 'City' in their tweets. Dubious.

Having said that, when they tweet something remotely exciting I'm absolutely going to believe it 100%

Edited by ALC Fox
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, FrankieADZ said:

if we get Tanaka as well that would be something, rumours hes gettable for under £5mil

Thought Tanaka was signing for West Ham or Fulham?  Stating the obvious it will be difficult for us competing the Premier League Clubs here.   There are potentially bargains to be had going direct to the J~League.

22 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Perhaps Maresca feels the need to surround himself with senior pro's being a rookie manager. 

I often wonder if Glover has anything to do with it, given that he packed out Southampton's first team with exciting young talents (a lot of them from Man City!) who promptly got relegated. A mix of youth and experience are going to be vital, and I think getting the experienced pros through the door first to set the tone and lead by example is probably a smart move too.

• Like 1