Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

4 hours ago, martyn said:

I see why Maresca has him in, he is the only central defender we have who can break lines with his distribution. One pass first half today took out their entire midfield. Individually, he wasn't too bad today.

But, it's not enough. The chronic lack of pace, and the fact he doesn't win enough of his aerial and strength duels against averagely physical strikers leaves us so vulnerable, and better/braver sides would punish us. I know it's the championship, but we will get punished enough times for it to become a problem.

We are crying out for some pace in that back 3 out of possession.

Very well summed up. 

That moment when he waited to come onto the ball and a Cardiff player beat him to it is the type of stuff you rarely see a couple of levels lower. 

6 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

The problem with Vestergaard is that when you keep seeing the same frailties i.e poor reading of the game, poor positioning, lacklustre approach to the game, aerially he's terrible,  exceptionally slow turn of pace and overall pace it's not about changing your opinion but having it continually reinforced to a point of why the hell is he being played. 

I accept he can pass a ball but not to the detriment of being able to defend - He's a central defender that we have standing on the half way line at times - It is basic Russian Roulette. 

I've enjoyed a lot of Envo's football and it's a great achievement to have won these first four games but lets not kid ourselves that we have rode our luck and for me it's not luck that we should be relying on - He shouldn't be in the starting 11 it's so clear - anyone arguing against that is arguing for arguing sake and that he was or will come good - Both are clearly not true / going to happen 

He is only playing because Coady is injured I think, and not a fan of stating it’s arguing for arguments sake just tried to prevent discussion a out a took. and  thatis hardly what a forum is for, or maybe it’s because I am a contrarian.   lol

Coady can’t come back quick enough!

Sorry but I just don’t think he’s improved at all. He is still not winning headers, he’s still losing his man too often leading to chances for the opposition. Fortunately for us, the standard of finishing has been poor. Bare in mind Huddersfield and Cardiff are top of the poorer sides in the league. 

I just don’t think the being able to pass well excuse washes when not doing the basics right. Same with having a goalkeeper who can pass if they can’t save shots. Fortunately Hermansen seems fairly rounded skill set wise so doesn’t apply to him. 

Would still like another centre back to come in, with ideally Souttar and Vestergaard moving out but the latter is probably unlikely.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

He is only playing because Coady is injured I think, and not a fan of stating it’s arguing for arguments sake just tried to prevent discussion a out a took. and  thatis hardly what a forum is for, or maybe it’s because I am a contrarian.   lol

There are more worthy arguments is the point I was trying (poorly) to make :)  You just get some people that will argue black is white - Your eyes can't deceive you on this one 

If you think Vestergaard is and has been playing well that is your opinion just that sometimes you need to know you're talking guff 

Edited by CrazyKopCorner

1 hour ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

The problem with Vestergaard is that when you keep seeing the same frailties i.e poor reading of the game, poor positioning, lacklustre approach to the game, aerially he's terrible,  exceptionally slow turn of pace and overall pace it's not about changing your opinion but having it continually reinforced to a point of why the hell is he being played. 

I accept he can pass a ball but not to the detriment of being able to defend - He's a central defender that we have standing on the half way line at times - It is basic Russian Roulette. 

I've enjoyed a lot of Envo's football and it's a great achievement to have won these first four games but lets not kid ourselves that we have rode our luck and for me it's not luck that we should be relying on - He shouldn't be in the starting 11 it's so clear - anyone arguing against that is arguing for arguing sake and that he was or will come good - Both are clearly not true / going to happen 

Great point here, and I am not sure why Enzo doesn't get that? Great he's decent with the ball at his feet, but surely his first and main job is to defend, which he is exceptionally poor at. He's probably one of the slowest defenders I've seen in a Leicester shirt. He has the turning circle of a lorry! 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Daymmn though the boy is slow, running back to defend the 1v1 with the Cardiff player & was miles away. Lucky for us though, that Championship strikers are unable to score. 

Not only was he so slow, he was in the wrong position in the first place. The Cardiff player should not have been left unguarded in the middle in between Faes and Vesty. And to then blame each other afterwards without admitting responsibility is not good. Much rather Evans still here instead of Vesty. Much better we play Souttar instead of Vesty. Faes is decent but is just a level below Soyuncu and Evans.

There is no doubting Vesty’s pace is a liability and he definitely looks in trouble in one on one’s however yesterday I thought overall he did ok, if anyone was a liability it was Faes especially in the 2nd half when he needlessly gave the ball away a number of times to put us under pressure. 

The issue with Vestergaard is that there will always be instances during a game where his lack of pace is exposed and that seems to take precedence over anything else in his performance, because it often leads to a good chance for the opposition.  However I also feel he is an easy target and fans focus on his major flaw rather than look at the mistakes or shortcomings of others in and around him that lead to him being put in these situations.   

Faes, Ricardo, KDH, Mavididi were all guilty of losing possession which enabled Cardiff to attack on the counter. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

How Justin is unable to get in this defence is beyond me. Hopefully he puts in a brilliant performance when selected against Tranmere.

Yes, it's obvious we need some pace in the backline. Surely he could either play inside or left back and take Vestergaard out (not literally of course :) ) 

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

Coady can’t come back quick enough!

Sorry but I just don’t think he’s improved at all. He is still not winning headers, he’s still losing his man too often leading to chances for the opposition. Fortunately for us, the standard of finishing has been poor. Bare in mind Huddersfield and Cardiff are top of the poorer sides in the league. 

I just don’t think the being able to pass well excuse washes when not doing the basics right. Same with having a goalkeeper who can pass if they can’t save shots. Fortunately Hermansen seems fairly rounded skill set wise so doesn’t apply to him. 

Would still like another centre back to come in, with ideally Souttar and Vestergaard moving out but the latter is probably unlikely.

He can't pass though, I mean yea he can pass sideways and backwards but any attempt to make a pass through the lines messes up. way to slow

3 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

Yes, it's obvious we need some pace in the backline. Surely he could either play inside or left back and take Vestergaard out (not literally of course :) ) 

We have pace in Ricardo and Justin, I get that focusing on the 70% where you have the ball is a more significant percentage, but you can't neglect the 30%. Could we not try Justin instead of Doyle? He's impressed me with his forward play Doyle but Justin is more athletic. The way Cardiff who probably won't finish in the top half cut us open at times was far to easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

There are more worthy arguments is the point I was trying (poorly) to make :)  You just get some people that will argue black is white - Your eyes can't deceive you on this one 

If you think Vestergaard is and has been playing well that is your opinion just that sometimes you need to know you're talking guff 

Looking at him in isolation, not sure many can claim he is playing well, don’t think he suits the style Enzo seems to want us to play, just that him being good enough is the not the only reason he might be playing, it is like Marcal, he is playing because the preferred option is not here yet or not fit.

I get some of the criticism as he's far from perfect and I'd agree with the comments regarding lack of pace and his limitations in terms of aerial dominance, however I can see why Enzo selects him. As others have mentioned his passing is excellent, and he's incredibly composed on the ball which is a great trait to have in a team that looks to draw the opponent onto them in-order to break the lines as he doesn't panic and opt to hoof which would likely see a turnover in play. 

I do think the criticism levelled at him regarding positioning is harsh. Faes is at times is the issue as he tends to lose concentration easily and isn't very aware of his opponents positioning until the ball is past him. That in turn often means it'll be left to Vestergaard to pick up the pieces but effectively playing in a back 3 where the other two CBs are so wide leaves him both isolated and starting from a sub-optimal position if the ball's played into the channel as he's trying to cover the central area. I think you'd see a lot of these perceived errors immediately stop if we had a more disciplined CB like Doyle on the right of the 3.

1 hour ago, Beachyboy said:

We have pace in Ricardo and Justin, I get that focusing on the 70% where you have the ball is a more significant percentage, but you can't neglect the 30%. Could we not try Justin instead of Doyle? He's impressed me with his forward play Doyle but Justin is more athletic. The way Cardiff who probably won't finish in the top half cut us open at times was far to easy.

Doyle’s been our best defender this season. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

It is very clear what he, as the middle of the back 3, is being asked to do

IMG_6264.jpeg

pass it round, recycle the ball.. I know that's his job but I don't see these passes through the lines and runs people are talking of. every time he's tried to do that it, its not worked.

Edited by whoareyaaa

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

pass it round, recycle the ball.. I know that's his job but I don't see these passes through the lines and runs people are talking off.

Passes it forward more than anyone in our team by a rather large margin

I don’t think anyone claims that Vestergaard is the one making runs? That is Faes