Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

Jannik cannot be relied upon as Coady’s back up but something that did hit me was that let’s say Coady is fit sooner than expected.

He’d have similar traits in quick attackers just leaving him standing…..it baffles me how Enzo can’t see that a three of Coady (Vestergaard in his absence), Faes and Doyle offer enough pace between them.

I’ve said this on numerous threads (apologies for repeating myself) but Man City have looked so much better defensively over the years since adding pace to their back 3 in Ake, Akanji or converting Walker.

JJ has to be our in house answer or look outside for a longer term solution.

Simms was absolutely dreadful but if this wasn’t the case, I’m confident that all of the posts would be much more venomous towards the above obvious issue.

• Like 3

Poor today and I was really hoping he'd do well.

His distribution was awful. Just kept passing it a few yards forwards to a man who was marked, and who quickly passed it back. Never once looked left to play Doyle in, or looked long.

No pace af all.

Surely Doyle into the middle and JJ at left-back, or if not a direct swap with Souttar.

He should be more than good enough for this level but it's genuinely frightening how slow he is in 1v1 situations. To the point where almost every team will stick a quick player on him and target him. 

Controversial probably, but i still think he will do a good job somewhere. Just needs a fresh start. Not a chance he is better than Souttar so god knows what's gone on there. 

35 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Agreed at least we are not talking maguire levels of financial hit 

No it's not a massive hit but I think the club have to suck it up and move him on as soon as possible. Maresca has given him a chance but I think it was fairly obvious that his speed and mobility are a problem that wont get any better.

He’s clearly not a better defender than Souttar, he’s only going to be playing for passing. It suits Marescas style more. If he’s not going to trust Souttar I’d like to see Doyle in the centre role and play Justin at the LCB atleast we will have some pace in the back line 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

He’s extremely poor- I’m concerned Maresca thinks he’s a better option than Souttar 

I suppose we have to trust Maresca's judgement - he's sees them in training everyday. I still think it's a steep learning curve to step up from being a number 2, to being the actual manager and undoubtedly he's looking at players that fit the system best during the first few competitive games. But I do hope Vestegaard isn't a long term solution at centre half.

• Like 1

It seems everyone is in agreement that Vestergaard shouldn't have been on the pitch yesterday. (I can't really say that about anyone else)

I was trying to understand why Enzo played him. My only thoughts are that he wanted him for his height on our corners.  But that's not enough of a reason.

By all means play him in the Carabao Cup, but that's it. 

14 hours ago, sm1 said:

Neither actually. Enzo, as we see Pep on occasions, went to Vesty after the final whistle and was pointing something out. Vesty was having none of it and in the end both just walked away, neither looking happy.

So is it neither or both :S

1 hour ago, Turtle27 said:

He’s clearly not a better defender than Souttar, he’s only going to be playing for passing. It suits Marescas style more. If he’s not going to trust Souttar I’d like to see Doyle in the centre role and play Justin at the LCB atleast we will have some pace in the back line 

exactly what I would do as well. 

What does take a hit mean? Rudkin to JV. You are not very good. We want you to leave. Response. I have two years at x amount. Y will take you. We will let you go a free. JV will only pay me half what I am getting now and I like living in Leicester. Okay we will let you go for free and pay the difference. JV no I like it here. I think I will stay......IT IS NOT THAT EASY to shift.some one who does not want to to go. For the record I had hoped he would be okay at this.level but he just isn't. He was badly exposed yesterday.

Watched it again and I am still not getting the strength of opposition to him. I believe it's because he looks gangly. He doesn't have speed but he hasn't been assigned a role where he has that responsibility. It was clear he was always doing what had been asked of him and designated players were picking up runners as he assumed a new defensive position. While not exciting, he was competent.

I'm no fan of the player, I wanted us to bus him to Ukraine last season, but that was before the truth started coming out about how Rodgers courted then sidelined him. 

Ultimately, he's here and he's not first choice so I think people need to suck up that he's going to be playing for another few weeks and cup games unless or until we upgrade.

• Like 1

Apparently an unpopular opinion but I thought he was far from disastrous yesterday. Made a couple of blunders but also recovered well a few times too. 

Repeating what I've just said in the Souttar thread a bit, he's clearly valued for his ability to play longer out balls in to the channels so he's definitely staying and people might as well get used to that. 

I thought the moments he most looked a problem yesterday weren't exclusively his fault. They largely came when the protection in front of him vanished and Cov just ran straight through our midfield. 

This is going to keep happening for weeks until we have a settled midfield (including Ricardo) who all start to get used to what is an extremely unorthodox set of roles. They're having to learn something genuinely new and we've had almost no real match time to practice it. 

Lots of times yesterday Winks was caught out further up the pitch, Ricky was torn between going back to RB and holding and KDH/Ndidi were still way too far up the pitch to drop and cover Winks. Net result, literally no midfield. 

It isn't meant to be like that but they've got to completely re-learn some positional instincts and a new set of transitional play. It's not just the attacking that will take time to learn, it's how to defend in this shape too, especially when they're also having to learn how and when to effectively counter press on top of all that. 

Going to be loads of scary defensive moments for weeks yet before we settle. You can't keep blaming Vestergaard for all of them. 

I'm not pretending he's the second coming of Ruben Dias but he's also a guy that's had a pretty long and successful career playing international and top flight football. He IS good enough for this level but people need to show a bit of patience and get off his back or we just risk turning him in to our Harry Maguire, completely shattered confidence and a wreck. 

He isn't going anywhere, the manager likes him. Get used to it and get behind him. 

• Like 4