Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

I joking said i thought Vesty had about 30% possession in that match.

I agree in that its clear what he is asked to do, and he is delivering. I do remember quite a lot of decent balls by him (one that found its way to Wanya if i recall), but with so much time on the ball and so many short passes, they aren't all going to be defence splitting and there will be mistakes. There have to be mistakes, because the opposition are playing so deep and their strategy is to intercept.

I've no problem with him being in this team at the moment. His composure on the ball is excellent and things feel safe when we are in possession. His deficiency is well know, and when we are caught out he doesn't have the pace to deal with it. But the gamble in the Championship is that this wont be happening too often, and as we tighten up and hopefully become more clinical, will happen less and less.

I think he is largely in there to help implement the system, rather than end up being the system (hope that makes sense!). Now he is having good game time, there might actually be a chance of selling him if we get promoted and we have the opportunity of slotting better options more suited for the PL.

• Like 1

Just now, moore_94 said:

The screenshot I posted is literally progressive passes

aka passes FORWARDS

Fair enough but it doesn't prove my point, he could play a forward pass to say Ricardo or Winks but he's not breaking the lines which is why I think Faes is the better passer of the ball, anyone can pass the ball 10 yards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

Fair enough but it doesn't prove my point, he could play a forward pass to say Ricardo or Winks but he's not breaking the lines which is why I think Faes is the better passer of the ball, anyone can pass the ball 10 yards.

You're right, in fact it actively DISproves your point.

Hopefully someone will find stills of his longer passing, maybe that will get the job done.

2 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I joking said i thought Vesty had about 30% possession in that match.

I agree in that its clear what he is asked to do, and he is delivering. I do remember quite a lot of decent balls by him (one that found its way to Wanya if i recall), but with so much time on the ball and so many short passes, they aren't all going to be defence splitting and there will be mistakes. There have to be mistakes, because the opposition are playing so deep and their strategy is to intercept.

I've no problem with him being in this team at the moment. His composure on the ball is excellent and things feel safe when we are in possession. His deficiency is well know, and when we are caught out he doesn't have the pace to deal with it. But the gamble in the Championship is that this wont be happening too often, and as we tighten up and hopefully become more clinical, will happen less and less.

I think he is largely in there to help implement the system, rather than end up being the system (hope that makes sense!). Now he is having good game time, there might actually be a chance of selling him if we get promoted and we have the opportunity of slotting better options more suited for the PL.

The rub being he's out of contract next summer.

He is an able deputy for Coady, but we sell this window if it's even remotely possible

I'm not the biggest fan of Vestergaard and as a defender he has limitations. However, as mentioned above, he has been decent so far. I do think some only look for the negatives in him. Looking at yesterday's game KDH, Faes and to a certain extent Mavadidi all had poor games and made numerous errors, yet there isn't the same level of criticism aimed at them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Vester was once again exposed late on when they broke quickly and their striker should have scored. 1:1 in space he is left for dead. Teams will profit from his slowness eventually. Can a defensive system really carry that weakness? 

Its the gamble, because the likely hood in the Championship is that when it happens the attacker is less likely to capitalise. The cards say it better to work to his strengths as ball player at this time.

19 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

The rub being he's out of contract next summer.

He is an able deputy for Coady, but we sell this window if it's even remotely possible

I stupidly thought it was 2025. We should definitely look to offload in the Winter window if Coady / Faes is working.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Its the gamble, because the likely hood in the Championship is that when it happens the attacker is less likely to capitalise. The cards say it better to work to his strengths as ball player at this time.

I stupidly thought it was 2025. We should definitely look to offload in the Winter window if Coady / Faes is working.

It's true the conversion rate of these 1on1 situations is quite low in the Championship but it's better to avoid them rather than taking risks. Some of us aren't in their 20s, I don't want this stress in every game, watching the opponent striker going clear while Vester is suddenly miles behind. These 2-3 seconds feel like an eternity every time. 😀

• Haha 1

What trumps all of his attributes if that's what they are, is the unescapable truth which is, he is too slow, too slow to react and no pace at all. He's statuesque at times. I for one can't see why he's in the side even with Coady out. The sooner he isn't the better for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

pass it round, recycle the ball.. I know that's his job but I don't see these passes through the lines and runs people are talking of. every time he's tried to do that it, its not worked.

There were 2-3 times he worked a ball straight to Iheanacho yesterday.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

I generally dont understand how a professional footballer can be as slow as he is. Its actually comical 

Because football is not all about pace? Some of the greatest defenders of all time weren't quick, but they were quick in the brain and could read games.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I feel we’re better off shifting him now - we’ll get more money/have to throw less at it - and ‘’making do’ til Coady’s fit. 
Faes did ok in that role v Burton

34 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Because football is not all about pace? Some of the greatest defenders of all time weren't quick, but they were quick in the brain and could read games.

Correct. Huth wasn't quick. Great defender. Big Wes was quick for a big man. Complemented each other nicely.

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

You're right, in fact it actively DISproves your point.

Hopefully someone will find stills of his longer passing, maybe that will get the job done.

would love to see them I'm not doubting you but I've watched all the games and every time he has tried to make a pass through the lines it doesn't come off.. but maybe I am blinkered.

This is the only long pass (over 30 yards) that I could find. 12% higher completion on longer passes for Wout although Vester has attempted 4 more.

image.png.8f246caf3ccd21a722d3cd2d6d7a77ff.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s Yannik’s world and you are all living in it. Put the agenda aside and he has been decent so far.

If Cardiff had scored that 1v1 the conversation on here would be very different. He's simply not a very good defender.

It reminds me of that run of clean sheets before Christmas last year, people were suddenly saying that Ward was a decent keeper and that Faes was better than Fofana. Then the other side of Christmas comes, the opposition start taking their chances and people see the reality that the defensive performances were not good enough.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Which Vesty can’t do either, you could have fit a truck between him and Faes on that 1 on 1 chance