Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mike1983

Vestergaard

He hasnt really faced much of a test this season so far but he's painfully negative. Can't play a forward pass whether that's an ability or confidence thing. Ends up slowing down any breakout from the back. Problem is he gets Faes playing sideways aswell. 

5 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

He hasnt really faced much of a test this season so far but he's painfully negative. Can't play a forward pass whether that's an ability or confidence thing. Ends up slowing down any breakout from the back. Problem is he gets Faes playing sideways aswell. 

I thought he was the only one of the back 3 who played any decent forward passes today.

• Like 1

Just now, Will1981 said:

I thought he was the only one of the back 3 who played any decent forward passes today.

Him and Doyle, if we are counting him. Suspect Vestergaard is beyond salvation for some

1 minute ago, Will1981 said:

Saw him attempt a couple, none of which found their target. He will do a job whilst Coady is out but he should never be considered a a first choice.

4 minutes ago, martyn said:

I see why Maresca has him in, he is the only central defender we have who can break lines with his distribution. One pass first half today took out their entire midfield. Individually, he wasn't too bad today.

But, it's not enough. The chronic lack of pace, and the fact he doesn't win enough of his aerial and strength duels against averagely physical strikers leaves us so vulnerable, and better/braver sides would punish us. I know it's the championship, but we will get punished enough times for it to become a problem.

We are crying out for some pace in that back 3 out of possession.

Faes did it for the 2nd goal we scored against Spurs in the 4-1 win and Souttar did it for the 3rd goal same game. I actually think both there distribution is pretty good, it's the actual defending I have more concerns with from all 3 of them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Him and Doyle, if we are counting him. Suspect Vestergaard is beyond salvation for some

Being able to pass is all well and good but he literally has so many glaring weaknesses for a CB.

Just now, Dames said:

Being able to pass is all well and good but he literally has so many glaring weaknesses for a CB.

Yes, he is slow and not strong enough, but he is what we have until Coady is back and he is not doing too bad thus far 

Disappointed he wasn't more alert today. So many times the forward players would time their runs but he was so languid and slow he wouldn't spot it in time. And he just took ages, slowed the game right down majority of the time. There were a couple of passes forward to Kelechi, but that's it. 

His positioning generally is so bad. And how on earth does a guy as tall as him get beaten in the air so regularly? 

I know he's just there until Coady returns, but he's not conducive to how we want to play. 

16 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

I like Enzo but playing Vestergaard with such a high line in the 2nd half does not show a high football intelligence. He’s a total and utter liability GTFR 

I think it'll be fine when we are having 80% possession and killing teams. But if a team even had 40% then they'll use some of it to put their fastest forward in 1v1s with him constantly. It's clearly because of his passing ability and quality with the ball in possession that we have him in a defence this high. But as you say it's an accident waiting to happen defensively because we are nowhere near good enough in possession at the minute. I thought he could still walk it at this level but even in the 2nd tier to be this targeted makes it even more incredible he was quite a well regarded international defender not long ago. 

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes, he is slow and not strong enough, but he is what we have until Coady is back and he is not doing too bad thus far 

My concern is that although I think Coady is a better player and will hopefully do a better job of organising the defence, his strengths and weaknesses pretty closely mirror Vestergaard i.e. good on the ball but very slow and not great physically while being worse aerially. I think with his return we will likely see a slight improvement rather than a transformation.

• Like 1

Think it's well established that he's about as fast as a snail in treacle, but his passing ability makes him a good fit for the way we're trying to play, and he's put some decent tackles and clearances in.

Got turned once for the 1v1, but that's more on us still playing a high line with such a slow back three. Otherwise, solid today.

I quite like this new signing. :ph34r: