Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

The Enzo Thread

12 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

This is my worry - I don't think we have the money (or frankly the nous in the market) to get him the players we need if we get promoted. 

Having said that, I also don't think any other manager would get much of a tune out of this band of rejects and wasters tbh. Every year the better players go, and the squad gets worse. 

They looked half decent at the start of the season, but all the same old problems have emerged - with the root cause being that these players just aren't very good. 

I don't think the players are not good enough it's more a case of the mentality of some, as quite a few are in the last season of there contracts or have been frozen out previously.

27 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Lets see how he gets on in the PL until he is labelled "promising". Right now he's not done anything different that any half decent manager should do with this squad and budget.

And by the same token he won't do any less than a world class manager in the PL with this squad.

5 hours ago, BigGibbo said:

Yesterday was the first time I sensed something approaching pragmatism and a willingness to let his philosophy take an ever so slight back seat over what needs to be done. More than a skinful of luck and a Hamza barnstormer still required, but nevertheless I hope this is the start of genuine progress 🙏

It was slightly more pragmatic yesterday a few balls over the top and we looked dangerous. Enzo even clapped his goalie when he did just that. 

What didn’t work was the setup which let West Brom to exploit the space to great effect. Actually having Hamza on the pitch was our saving grace. Some out there looked tired and only decided to sub them post the 80th minute. He doesn’t help himself sometimes. 

Enzo only needs to tweak a few things and adapt slightly against low bloc teams and he’d have a good balance. 

Chances of playing another low

bloc team is slim will work in Enzo’s favour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

Well we all know that's not going to happen and Enzo will be here next season especially if we go up, if we don't go up then I think he would leave but its looking likely we will go up and there is no way we are changing managers unless he walks out.

I don’t disagree with you. My point is, I don’t actually think that will be right decision for either party. 

1 hour ago, winteriscoming said:

Neither of those sides have blown a 12+ point lead at the top. 

Because the poor form came at different stages of the season. 

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BigGibbo said:

Yesterday was the first time I sensed something approaching pragmatism and a willingness to let his philosophy take an ever so slight back seat over what needs to be done. More than a skinful of luck and a Hamza barnstormer still required, but nevertheless I hope this is the start of genuine progress 🙏

To be fair, he did acknowledge in his interview between Plymouth and WBA that tactical changes 'for sure' needed to be made.

I noticed he took a bit of time to explain tweaks and changes that he's made after three game on Saturday too.

Encouraging signs I hope. I don't think the guy's an idiot, and I hope he has the humility to develop and adapt.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Neither of those sides have blown a 12+ point lead at the top. 

And neither of these teams or managers built up a 11 point lead over 2nd place either. Was this also despite Enzo?

Was Vesty having a good season, or Ricky P and  JJ playing full seasons despite Enzo also?

The Championship is long and tough, our key players like KDH and Winks are tired.

Edited by trooky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, trooky said:

And neither of these teams or managers built up a 11 point lead over 2nd place either. Was this also despite Enzo?

Was Vesty having a good season, or Ricky P and  JJ playing full seasons despite Enzo also?

The Championship is long and tough, our key players like KDH and Winks are tired.

I’m not denying they are having good seasons. I would argue that certainly in Vesty case that this is his level. Labelling key players being tired it a pretty poor excuse. I don’t see Ipswich with a lot less  quality of a squad than ours coming out and saying key players are tired. 
The main argument I have with Enzo is his lack of flexibility tactically and formation when it’s obvious to everyone it’s not working. Something as simple as 2 up front against Bristol City, Millwall and Plymouth in the second half would of seen imo a vast improvement and we’d of got something out of those matches.

Ipswich  manager has been there for quite a while and is playing his team,Enso not been with us 10 months and most of the players aren't his.Time to be critical is when its his squad .I think he's proven that he could be a very good manager.Lets give him more time,changing manager is in my humble opinion completely the the wrong thing to do.Do we really want someone like Cooper. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winteriscoming said:

I’m not denying they are having good seasons. I would argue that certainly in Vesty case that this is his level. Labelling key players being tired it a pretty poor excuse. I don’t see Ipswich with a lot less  quality of a squad than ours coming out and saying key players are tired. 
The main argument I have with Enzo is his lack of flexibility tactically and formation when it’s obvious to everyone it’s not working. Something as simple as 2 up front against Bristol City, Millwall and Plymouth in the second half would of seen imo a vast improvement and we’d of got something out of those matches.

Vesty played 150+ games in the Bundesliga and 72 games in the PL for Southampton so he's more than  championship level.

This forum has forgotten how he galvanized the club after relegation.  I dispute the fact any manager would get us promoted because Ricky P, Ndidi and a few others wouldn't be at the club in the championship and Winks isn't playing for just anyone.

Agree that Enzo should change his tactics and play 2 up when we're chasing a game, but In his defense Daka and Vardy missed so many easy chances against Plymouth and Bristol we would already  be promoted and coasting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lesta Legend said:

It was slightly more pragmatic yesterday a few balls over the top and we looked dangerous. Enzo even clapped his goalie when he did just that. 

What didn’t work was the setup which let West Brom to exploit the space to great effect. Actually having Hamza on the pitch was our saving grace. Some out there looked tired and only decided to sub them post the 80th minute. He doesn’t help himself sometimes. 

Enzo only needs to tweak a few things and adapt slightly against low bloc teams and he’d have a good balance. 

Chances of playing another low

bloc team is slim will work in Enzo’s favour.

Yea, there was plenty still to pick at, but before Saturday everything suggested he had gone full on head in the sand and was going to plough on regardless of the obvious failings, a la Rodgers. Now at least we know he is capable of objective analysis and making subtle alterations where necessary. Hopefully that continues.

4 minutes ago, trooky said:

Vesty played 150+ games in the Bundesliga and 72 games in the PL for Southampton so he's more than  championship level.

This forum has forgotten how he galvanized the club after relegation.  I dispute the fact any manager would get us promoted because Ricky P, Ndidi and a few others wouldn't be at the club in the championship and Winks isn't playing for just anyone.

Agree that Enzo should change his tactics and play 2 up when we're chasing a game, but In his defense Daka and Vardy missed so many easy chances against Plymouth and Bristol we would already  be promoted and coasting.

I’ll have to agree to disagree with you.

Majority of half decent managers would have us up by now. 
I would be very concerned if Vesty started next season in the premiership with us.

His level is the championship imo.
Maybe a few seasons ago he’d be ok in the premiership but not now.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SixtiesFox said:

If we could tempt Robbins away from Cov we'd have a chance of surviving in the Premier League. A proper coach.

Another  coach who has built his own team, if we go up, I would likely favour continuity over yet more change and turmoil tbh. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, SixtiesFox said:

If we could tempt Robbins away from Cov we'd have a chance of surviving in the Premier League. A proper coach.

Good manager but ultimately he is a ‘right place right time’ manager like Nige. It just wouldn’t work.

21 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

Enzo’s hatred for the chaotic “basketball match” was very interesting.

I actually agree that we didn’t take the sting out of the match enough with us not having enough possession but loved seeing Coady ping a 40/50 yard ball for Vardy to rush onto etc.

The obsession with the inverted FB winds me up at the best of times BUT my biggest pet hate is how Enzo can’t admit it’s being targeted throughout the game and just ask Hamza/Ricky to play the more traditional FB position for a period of time to calm things down.

Surely those type of tweaks 1) don’t go against his principles and 2) actually reduce the basketball style football that he (like Rodgers previously) hate with a passion.

Entirely agree.

The other rather obvious tweak that makes us less predictable and harder to set up against is to alternate the fullbacks that are inverting throughout the game. Again, completely inline with his philosophy, just making it less repetitive and harder for the opposition to counter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Good manager but ultimately he is a ‘right place right time’ manager like Nige. It just wouldn’t work.

Sorry to disagree but he is a student of the game type,who shows the adaptability  to evolve with his current conditions and resources. if Enzo goes get him in!

if enzo does decide to go to sevilla at the end of the season (after gaining promotion) , i’m fully convinced on Mark Robins now. We could use a bit of his fight in what will be a very tough season. 

Seems to get the most out of a pretty average squad. He had that dabo guy last season looking championship level and this season he couldn’t get a game at the team bottom of league 2. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trooky said:

Can't believe we've 87 pages debating if we should sack  a young, promising, inexperienced manager in his first English job when we're top of the championship with 3 games remaining.

Let's bring back Dean Smith, Sharkey and John Terry because that worked brilliantly first time.

Take the game yesterday. If we had Carlos Corberan as our manager and West Brom had Maresca, we'd have been promoted weeks ago and they probably wouldn't be in the play-offs. I hope this helps. 

Its the lack of plan B that worries me,  If we go up, I can’t see us staying up with this style of football unless we spend a lot on technical attacking players, a replacement for Ndiddi and at least 2 good defenders   We are not about to spend £100m. 

He deserves a crack at the PL if we stay up but we  should be ruthless if after half a season it isn’t working.  We also need to do this managing the finances so paying much less on wages than we have,