Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

The Enzo Thread

1 minute ago, lanefox said:

Last night was a glimpse into the future in the Prem, teams pressing us and then we pick them apart with 'tapping it around the back' we'll play a lot more counter attacking football next season

That's how I see it too, got it right last night 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Agreed, the West Brom analogy was the first thing to come to my mind too! For the next few matches after West Brom we continued to get some good results playing in a free flowing style until Rodgers 'philosophy' fully kicked in. It was hidden/masked for quite a while by the skills of some talented individual players who would perhaps score, sometimes during late on Rodgers defying play until eventually, the system fully kicked in, overwhelmed and quietened them.

Maresca is a young new manager and still learning his trade to some extent I suppose. There's a lot to like imo and I suppose discipline and adherence to a system has to be part of it to some extent. With Rodgers it was more of a stubborn obsession without any valid purpose. 

Last night was an excellent performance but it was against a team that was quite open who came at us and not the sort of team with tactics that has been troubling us. Hopefully the stats of only 33% possession, the performance and goals scored will give him something to consider though and not, like Rodgers, merely make him double down on some of the more negative tactics. 

Exactly.

23 minutes ago, Lcfc82 said:

The ironic thing is Enzo’s normal style of play doesn’t see us control games. We’re usually like Southampton were last night  - passing around and not really going anywhere.

Hopefully last night sees a change of style, doubt it from his post match comments though 

Exactly. That too.  You control the game also by attacking, pressing, playing meaningful football in the opposition half and a positive mentality.  Did Southampton have a shot on target?

15 minutes ago, Lionator said:

OR devil’s advocate. His interview was simply to keep the players humble and grounded because we still have a job to do. 

I thought about that but I don’t think so.

A spirited performance like that should be celebrated and encouraged. Not dampened. 

• Like 1

I've been critical of Enzo, especially in the past 6 weeks or so but full credit to him last night. I think they way we set up against them was spot on. We pretty much went man for man and pressed them high, forcing them into mistakes. We also went a little more direct too, as they pressed us high from goal kicks, which was refreshing to see. 

They say styles make fights and I think we have Southamptons number. They were poor, other than a 10 minute spell second half, where they didn't even create a chance. The way they play, which is similar to us, allows opportunities on the counter, if the press is right. We were spot on and our quality really showed. 

I'm not getting carried away though. Preston away will be tough and we will likely revert back to the slow possession based football. Mainly down to the opposition. The fact we/Enzo was willing to concede possession last night and deviate from his "philosophy" offered a glimpse of positivity for next season if and when we are promoted. 

• Like 1

As a manager that's the kind of high tempo performance you want from your players every week. You don't always get it for varying reasons but he did last night.

credit to  Enzo, he's had a few sleepless nights in the last Month.

13 minutes ago, leicesterlad1989 said:

I've been critical of Enzo, especially in the past 6 weeks or so but full credit to him last night. I think they way we set up against them was spot on. We pretty much went man for man and pressed them high, forcing them into mistakes. We also went a little more direct too, as they pressed us high from goal kicks, which was refreshing to see. 

They say styles make fights and I think we have Southamptons number. They were poor, other than a 10 minute spell second half, where they didn't even create a chance. The way they play, which is similar to us, allows opportunities on the counter, if the press is right. We were spot on and our quality really showed. 

I'm not getting carried away though. Preston away will be tough and we will likely revert back to the slow possession based football. Mainly down to the opposition. The fact we/Enzo was willing to concede possession last night and deviate from his "philosophy" offered a glimpse of positivity for next season if and when we are promoted. 

Preston are on the beach now, they have nothing to play for. Think we will win quite comfortably.

• Like 2

Will be interesting what he does next season, if last night is a true glimpse I think most would be happy with the counter attacking approach.

He can’t be naive and believe we can dominate teams with possession in the prem 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Will be interesting what he does next season, if last night is a true glimpse I think most would be happy with the counter attacking approach.

He can’t be naive and believe we can dominate teams with possession in the prem 

A lot of teams in the championship have just parked the bus which is of course going to create dull games with us trying to break through it.

Prem will be completely different.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Preston are on the beach now, they have nothing to play for. Think we will win quite comfortably.

Footballers are professionals. ‘On the beach’ phrase is so overused. Most players try their best in every game. It won’t be easy, but we should do it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

A lot of teams in the championship have just parked the bus which is of course going to create full games with us trying to break through it.

100% agree the prem is different gravy. Will have to tighten at the back to incorporate a centre half with pace and a finisher as you get limited chances in the prem and you have to take them .

But that's for next season let's enjoy this 1st

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LVFox said:

Been accused of being Enzo and Puel on this thread.

Jokes on you when you all realise I'm Paulo Sousa

Hah, you cant be Sousa... you wouldve already been and gone  :)

13 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

A lot of teams in the championship have just parked the bus which is of course going to create dull games with us trying to break through it.

Yep, I’m strangely optimistic if we can sign the right players and retain the right ones we’ll have a chance of staying up. New strikers, few new midfielders and some pacy centrebacks who have that hamza like enthusiasm (which our centrebacks have tried to do the last few games I’ve noticed but lack the mobility) 

23 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

Footballers are professionals. ‘On the beach’ phrase is so overused. Most players try their best in every game. It won’t be easy, but we should do it. 

I doubt very much they'll be putting in the extra yards - disappointment of falling short in the play offs. Much like Southampton last night who seemed to have accepted the fate of play offs, they had no real desire to win their battles. hard not to see Preston being of a similar mindset. 

Why are people still trying to pan Enzo after that? Or is it one of those "in spite" of performances?

Of course he is not totally happy, he never ever should  be! There is always room for improvement, any time a team pinches the ball its a negative :dunno:

We still player the ball around the back, but Saints get us the space, we chose our attack well, but as others have said, last night we would see far more of in the Premier League as who would need to low block us?

Absolutely dreading Vardy hanging up his boots  :cry:

1 hour ago, lcfc sheff said:

Yep, I’m strangely optimistic if we can sign the right players and retain the right ones we’ll have a chance of staying up. New strikers, few new midfielders and some pacy centrebacks who have that hamza like enthusiasm (which our centrebacks have tried to do the last few games I’ve noticed but lack the mobility) 

Vesterguard and faes done really well last night obviously we will need a few additions throughout the squad but I think they would be fine in the Prem, would keep Nididi as well if we can 

3 hours ago, lanefox said:

Last night was a glimpse into the future in the Prem, teams pressing us and then we pick them apart with 'tapping it around the back' we'll play a lot more counter attacking football next season

Perhaps, but Southampton are completely toothless in a way that Premier League clubs won't be. The way they try to play suits us perfectly, that's why we've scored 9 against them this season. 

I'm definitely hopeful of being more of counter attacking team next season, because that's when we've been our most exciting this season, but Enzo has said he doesn't believe in that. 

The biggest reason to be optimistic about Enzo is he is a young manager and regardless of how frustrating we've been recently, he will be learning from every game. I just hope he isn't too stubborn to adapt. 

Edited by Nobbyburton