Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Also In The News - part 3

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Remember her ..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68821646

Obviously come out trying to make a few headlines .

The fact that she is still in the news and being offered interview time is what is wrong with the world at this moment. This is an incompetent individual. How she held so many positions of power should be embarassing enough for us as a country. 

And then the people on twitter and elsewhere now telling the rest of us, "Liz was right". How can people be that stupid. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The fact that she is still in the news and being offered interview time is what is wrong with the world at this moment. This is an incompetent individual. How she held so many positions of power should be embarassing enough for us as a country. 

And then the people on twitter and elsewhere now telling the rest of us, "Liz was right". How can people be that stupid. 

The unelected Liz Truss taking a swipe at the "unelected" civil servants working for the unelected Rishi Sunak is my favourite angle of the whole thing.  She's so dense it still makes me physically wince at the thought that she was ever PM.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

“The world was a safer place when Trump was President”.  Yes it really felt safer!  🤣🤣🤣

59 minutes ago, Torquay Gunner said:

“The world was a safer place when Trump was President”.  Yes it really felt safer!  🤣🤣🤣

Yes but did the fact that no one actually trusted him not to do stupid things meant that some countries didn’t push it ? 

2 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I dont disagree with any of this but i also agree with her that Trump was tougher on a world level than Biden was despite his own incompetency. He was actually volatile enough for other countries to be concerned with what buttons he would press.

Edited by MPH

1 hour ago, MPH said:

I dont disagree with any of this but i also agree with her that Trump was tougher on a world level than Biden was despite his own incompetency. He was actually volatile enough for other countries to be concerned with what buttons he would press.

I would like to think he was surrounded by reasonably competent generals, who would rein him in.

7 hours ago, bovril said:

Never understood why British conservatives are so enamored with Trump or America in general. 

Without the checks and balances in our political system, even with their faults and potential for abuse, our politics could be so much more like America and people like Trump would be supported by those that align to the right wing zealots in the USA, and there's plenty of them sneaking about 

8 hours ago, bovril said:

Never understood why British conservatives are so enamored with Trump or America in general. 

fiscally, I believe it’s the model they would like to strive for…

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Didn’t they try it in New Zealand then scrapped it after about a year? Number of younger people smoking is already massive down from a generation ago, I think prevention measures have already been successful.

It's vaping they need to control, really. But yes, there is a likelihood it won't work. Education etc is the best way. 

The thing is tobacco offers no benefit to your body whatsoever. I've seen the argument "booze is unhealthy so will they ban that?". Frankly, a ridiculous argument.

I also think a smoking ban in 2024 has different likely outcomes compared to booze in the US in 1920. That was never really enforced even at the top level, as there was evidence drinking was rife. It only really worked in religiously dry states. There was no cultural will for it.

However smoking rates are at a borderline all time low in the UK.

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Why would anyone not want future generations to be free of smoke?

Surely a healthy population has to be a plus.

I mean - talking cynically and NOT endorsing this view - it does trim the surplus population and provide a lot of tax income. There are certain parties that might view this as a win. 

14 hours ago, Sampson said:

Didn’t they try it in New Zealand then scrapped it after about a year? Number of younger people smoking is already massive down from a generation ago, I think prevention measures have already been successful.

NZ dropped the plan due to their equivalent of Truss/Johnson/other assorted loons in the pay of tobacco companies. 

13 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

It's vaping they need to control, really. But yes, there is a likelihood it won't work. Education etc is the best way. 

The thing is tobacco offers no benefit to your body whatsoever. I've seen the argument "booze is unhealthy so will they ban that?". Frankly, a ridiculous argument.

I also think a smoking ban in 2024 has different likely outcomes compared to booze in the US in 1920. That was never really enforced even at the top level, as there was evidence drinking was rife. It only really worked in religiously dry states. There was no cultural will for it.

Vaping does not need to be controlled over and above smoking. 

Vaping is an approach to tobacco use as clean syringes are to heroin addiction and AIDS transmission or seat belts are to car driving. 

Smoking rates are at record lows BECAUSE of vaping. 

3 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Echo what was said above, kids don’t smoke anymore as a rule but they do vape, they’ve become like fashion accessories. Amount of kids I see walking round notts town with colourful vape pens who must only just be secondary age is crazy.

The numbers of kids vaping daily is very small and remains almost exclusively confined to those who used to or continue to smoke. 

Teens vaping instead of smoking is the same net gain as it is for adults. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Why So?? 

Leaving aside the fact that smoking is in fact very cool and sophisticated, I wouldn't mind the government micromanaging my life so much if they were committed to actually doing something about crime, the stagnating economy, declining living standards etc. Easier just to ban stuff I guess. I think this is probably the future of Britain, instead of investing in services we just progressively ban fun things "to protect the NHS". 

4 hours ago, David Hankey said:

So i have never smoked. Not even once. not even as a teenager. I cant stand it personally..

But i do question a governments right to tell you whether you can smoke or not. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MPH said:

So i have never smoked. Not even once. not even as a teenager. I cant stand it personally..

But i do question a governments right to tell you whether you can smoke or not. 

Especially when that banning has a date of birth attached to it, so that their mates currently in industry aren't impacted by it.  Maybe i am being naive, but i am not aware of anything having a date of birth limit attached to it. Obviously an age limit makes sense, but once someone born in 2009 becomes an adult then they should be free to do whatever someone born in 1980 is free to do (or even someone born in 2008!). 

4 hours ago, David Hankey said:

Funny, because whilst smoking is a personal choice, owning a filthy massive Diesel car can negatively impact mine and my families health which was no choice of mine. But mention ULEZ might actually be a good thing and you get called a Nazi. 

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Leaving aside the fact that smoking is in fact very cool and sophisticated, I wouldn't mind the government micromanaging my life so much if they were committed to actually doing something about crime, the stagnating economy, declining living standards etc. Easier just to ban stuff I guess. I think this is probably the future of Britain, instead of investing in services we just progressively ban fun things "to protect the NHS". 

Smoking is neither cool nor sophisticated. It makes your breath, skin and clothes smell and costs lots of money. It bad for your health and is linked to things like lung and heart disease. Helping people have better habits like not eating so much junk food or getting exercise is what governments should be doing to help create a more productive citizens.

• Like 1