Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LFox99

Moderation of this Forum

I was wondering whether, at some point, we'll get some "official" word from the admins and moderators on here regarding what is and what isn't allowed to be discussed in regards to the situation in the middle east and events connected to it. 

We had a Israel/Palestine thread that got locked multiple times, during which period loads of comments were deleted before it was re-opened, now we've got Hamza and his antics on social media being discussed only for a thread about that to disappear and his player thread being locked as well. 

A tiny bit of transparency regarding the issue would be great because from my POV and probably others' as well it doesn't help the discourse 

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

In fairness, Mark has said multiple times "no politics."

But then how's it different from discussing things regarding the city council or regarding the house of commons which happens plenty of times on here

Edited by LFox99
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

But then how's it different from discussing things regarding the city council or regarding the house of commons which happens plenty of times on here

IDK. It's not my house, it's his. We're all just stood around in the kitchen, drunk and talking shite. 

I liked the politics thread but it never lasts. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

It isn't.

It's just people ignoring the no politics rule, leaving Mark wishing he'd started a forum about kittens and puppies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

I was wondering whether, at some point, we'll get some "official" word from the admins and moderators on here regarding what is and what isn't allowed to be discussed in regards to the situation in the middle east and events connected to it. 

We had a Israel/Palestine thread that got locked multiple times, during which period loads of comments were deleted before it was re-opened, now we've got Hamza and his antics on social media being discussed only for a thread about that to disappear and his player thread being locked as well. 

A tiny bit of transparency regarding the issue would be great because from my POV and probably others' as well it doesn't help the discourse 

It's primarily a Football Forum for LCFC fans.

There have been plenty of chances given for people to discuss Political and other issues in a polite, constructive and open way but sadly history tells us that it's usually ends up with a war of insults and falling out..

As for what can or can't be discussed it's not that easy to define and I'm not sure why the owner and paymaster of this forum should be asked to spend their time trying to come up with an acceptable format that people would accept and abide by. Having said that efforts have been made to accommodate posters in the past but as I said it has been shown to end in failure.

2 minutes ago, Daggers said:

It isn't.

It's just people ignoring the no politics rule, leaving Mark wishing he'd started a forum about kittens and puppies.

He tried but he was beaten to it

https://www.dogforums.com/

https://www.catforum.com/

....and as well as politics pussies aren't allowed either.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

Because it's 2023 and everything is sanitised, it's life.  

• Like 1

In my experience the posters who have what is described in 2023 as “provocative views” would do well to keep themselves to themselves. Unfortunately people are seldom capable of engaging in well-reasoned discourse and result to ad-hominem attacks or else whine about why the provocateurs views are so scummy via pseudo-intellectual tosh. 

I used to engage on here quite a bit but I just use it as a football forum to keep up with LCFC now. Well I did, this post is probably enough to set people off and result in a ban. Ah well. 

They don't/won't believe me but I actually admire the job that the staff do on here to keep it running and keep it modern in terms of the look. When members screenshot other teams' forums I'm sometimes wondering why they're still stuck in a time when forums were just starting out. 

I also appreciate that it is probably very difficult to moderate everything on here so I do sympathise with how big a task it is. 

All I ask for is consistency, like anyone does? I've seen some of my posts deleted within a topic, yet similar comments remain. I'm also guessing it's not always Mark doing the deleting and I'm guessing some of the mods have their favourites or habits on what they do and don't decide. 

I don't envy their job at all, especially for such a big forum and such a big member base with several differing views on any given topic. I don't see the need for any more transparency. I'm sure the guidelines are quite clear on what is and isn't allowed. (I may have missed the flat 'no politics' rule, is it still in place?!). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

guessing it's not always Mark doing the deleting and I'm guessing some of the mods have their favourites or habits on what they do and don't decide. 

25 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

the only people left that want to actually be mods are exactly the sort of people that shouldn't be allowed to be. Nobody with a brain wants to try and police you ungrateful, unruly lot

:ph34r:

it's all

@Ric Flair

1 hour ago, davieG said:

It's primarily a Football Forum for LCFC fans.

There have been plenty of chances given for people to discuss Political and other issues in a polite, constructive and open way but sadly history tells us that it's usually ends up with a war of insults and falling out..

As for what can or can't be discussed it's not that easy to define and I'm not sure why the owner and paymaster of this forum should be asked to spend their time trying to come up with an acceptable format that people would accept and abide by. Having said that efforts have been made to accommodate posters in the past but as I said it has been shown to end in failure.

"Polite and constructive" are the keywords. Unfortunately, many don't understand how to be polite nor constructive.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, StanSP said:

All I ask for is consistency, like anyone does? I've seen some of my posts deleted within a topic, yet similar comments remain. I'm also guessing it's not always Mark doing the deleting and I'm guessing some of the mods have their favourites or habits on what they do and don't decide. 

You get it, more or less.

It's like reffing, sometimes a mod will make a mistake, sometimes they'll be a bit pissed off, and sometimes (Flair) they'll be struggling to make out which of the four keyboards they can see is the actual keyboard.

When you're modding some people just become a trigger for you - you notice their transgressions more because you remember asking them nicely not to do that thing - and then they go do that thing again. That's when odd posts vanish. Then you see more than one other person has done it and you go 'WTF, I don't get paid for this shit, *lock*'.

Modding this place used to drive me up the wall at times because it seemed like no one ever listened to the simple request. Then, as Finners says, they'd write a whiny DM going 'well such as such is doing it and you do **** all to stop them being a dick' - within a day I'd find a reason to give them a temp ban. A decade later and some of the same dickheads are still whining about their posts being moderated. The current team's patience far outstrips anything I managed lol

Bottom line, the place functions well because of and despite all of it - and if people want to flex their ePeens they can go find a grubby corner of the Interwebs to do it in. I hear Twitter is quite accommodating of such behaviours these days.

Edited by Daggers
speelung
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hamza’s actions have muddied things in the sense that now it does have a direct tie-in to Leicester City discussion - I expect exactly what Leicester City itself wanted to avoid.

But this is such a sharp issue that pretty much any opinion could result in other readers not just disagreeing with you but utterly hating you for it. I can totally understand why the mods don’t want it discussed on this forum. Frankly, this thread itself is probably too much and won’t last long.

In the meantime, I’d advise anyone who is asking the same question as the OP to read Finnegan’s reply above.

2 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Hamza’s actions have muddied things in the sense that now it does have a direct tie-in to Leicester City discussion - I expect exactly what Leicester City itself wanted to avoid.

But this is such a sharp issue that pretty much any opinion could result in other readers not just disagreeing with you but utterly hating you for it. I can totally understand why the mods don’t want it discussed on this forum. Frankly, this thread itself is probably too much and won’t last long.

In the meantime, I’d advise anyone who is asking the same question as the OP to read Finnegan’s reply above.

Agreed, but I'd add that this isn't the first issue on here that has raised (or could raise) divisive emotions to that degree.

On the general topic: yeah, what Finn said.