Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vlad the Fox

Fireworks and pets

How are people getting on tonight with their pets and the fireworks? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against fireworks and don’t want to stop people having their fun but my dog is beside himself. How are you getting your pets through it? My dog (border collie) is barking like mad, peeing all over the house, panting and just won’t settle.

Each year he has got worse so this year we’ve got him a calming spray which has helped the last couple of nights but tonight is like Beirut and it’s not working, I’ve got classic fm blasting out yet he still seems to hear them. When I was younger we used to tranquillise my dog (another border collie) and she’d sleep through it, I didn’t want to do it with my current dog but it’s seeming like next year it’s the only choice.

How does everyone else help their pets cope?

We try and disguise the noise too ..  one is not bothered at all but the other is petrified and shakes like a leaf ..  her kidneys are shot and we are just trying to make her remaining time as pleasant as possible ..  it really pisses me off.  Tbh bonfire night is just a part of it ..  we have a wedding venue not too far away and they have ultra loud (windows shaking) fireworks going off every few weeks ..  tried talking to them but they don’t give a sh1t ..  :angry:

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

We try and disguise the noise too ..  one is not bothered at all but the other is petrified and shakes like a leaf ..  her kidneys are shot and we are just trying to make her remaining time as pleasant as possible ..  it really pisses me off.  Tbh bonfire night is just a part of it ..  we have a wedding venue not too far away and they have ultra loud (windows shaking) fireworks going off every few weeks ..  tried talking to them but they don’t give a sh1t ..  :angry:

I guess he’s that scared that he is just listening for them and is hearing them above the music. It’s horrible to see them so distressed, must be awful for you, especially as you dog is ill as well.

I get bonfire night and Diwali and new years but yes the rest pisses me off too. 

21 minutes ago, emmo1987 said:

We turn the volume up on the TV. Keep reassuring her everything is okay. Not much more you can do really. Hope your dog has settled!

Thanks, but nope, he’s that stressed that reassuring him is impossible his ears are pricked up, shaking, barking, don’t think he’ll go out later now either for a pee. I think I’ll let the Mrs get up first in the morning. 

We've been playing fireworks sounds for short periods of time for the past couple of weeks, gradually increasing the volume, the dog was freaking out to start with, but got better over time.  Come the real thing, so far the dog has been fairly OK touch wood. That said, we don't live somewhere where there are lots of fireworks going off all around all night.

• Like 1

1 out if 4 is scared of them. Ive found that turning the volume up just freaks her out more so just keep everything quiet and she stops panting and shaking a lot quicker than when the TV or radio is turned up. 

Weird as the other 3 couldn't care less. They're all sprockers